Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Pro Shops preparing sight tapes?

Hey Guys,

I'm fairly unfamiliar with the bow world and I'm wondering if pro shops will do up sight tapes for you the same way that gun shops can sight in scopes. I have a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie and I'm looking for some help setting up the sight tape. I don't know enough about archery equipment to be confident in doing it myself and would love to pay someone to set the tape up for me.

Any help or suggestions would be great!
Old 02-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Check with Jim-Bows or Accurate Archery in Alberta Beach.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:16 PM

My experience with setting up a cbe has been easy. I'm not sure if the design is similar enough to follow the steps I use...
Shoot groups at 20 yards until you're confident the pin is accurate. Mark a line where the dial pointer would indicate the yardage. Shoot groups at 60 yards with the same pin by moving the dial. Keep adjusting the dial (not the pin location within the housing) until you're confident that would be an accurate 60 pin mark. Mark a line. Measure that gap with calipers (not their lame tool provided) and find the tape that has the same gap from 20 - 60. Move the dial so your 20 pin is accurate at your first line. Place the tape on the sight. If you need to adjust the pointer to fit the tape properly, you can do so. But be sure your 20 pin is set and the dial locked in position.
This might be getting overly wordy and complex. Much easier to do than explain. PM if you have questions. If I have time I'll do what I can to help out. No need to pay for something like that.
I've done this to my sight twice and could easily dial anything from 20 - 100 yards with consistency better than I can shoot. Shooting a group at 100 helps me correct my form for shooting at 30. Mixing it up is fun too
Old 02-09-2017, 07:32 PM

The app Uno works well for sight tapes or fixed pins...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 02-10-2017, 07:50 AM

For $8 USD, Spot Hogg will ship a new set of sight tapes to your residence. Took about 1 week to come in. Excellent customer service.

The package includes several set-up tapes and there are youtube videos that make the process very easy. I don't think a shop would be able to help as part of the set up process is shooting at 60 yards.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
My experience with setting up a cbe has been easy. I'm not sure if the design is similar enough to follow the steps I use...
Shoot groups at 20 yards until you're confident the pin is accurate. Mark a line where the dial pointer would indicate the yardage. Shoot groups at 60 yards with the same pin by moving the dial. Keep adjusting the dial (not the pin location within the housing) until you're confident that would be an accurate 60 pin mark. Mark a line. Measure that gap with calipers (not their lame tool provided) and find the tape that has the same gap from 20 - 60. Move the dial so your 20 pin is accurate at your first line. Place the tape on the sight. If you need to adjust the pointer to fit the tape properly, you can do so. But be sure your 20 pin is set and the dial locked in position.
This might be getting overly wordy and complex. Much easier to do than explain. PM if you have questions. If I have time I'll do what I can to help out. No need to pay for something like that.
I've done this to my sight twice and could easily dial anything from 20 - 100 yards with consistency better than I can shoot. Shooting a group at 100 helps me correct my form for shooting at 30. Mixing it up is fun too
That's a good idea I never thought of doing it that way when I sighted in my tek. Im going to have the new bow here soon so when I sight it in I might try this. I watched the video on their website and did it with their tool, it was confusing at the beginning but managed to get it. Once dialed in theyre great sights
Old 02-14-2017, 11:39 PM

Thanks kujoseto,

I'm gettting a Fast Eddie shortly and your post made the setup a whole
lot easier.

I wouldn't expect a shop to have the resources to set up a sight like this.
This is one of the things you have to do on your own. If you decide to.
Freedom of choice.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 02-14-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:19 PM

Another thing I do, is measure with the calipers each pin gap for the pins between 20 and 60. Makes it SO much more efficient to dial in those pins. I can measure and set them according to the pin gap on the tape and go shoot groups at all those distances without having to move them again. It's dead accurate. I used to fiddle around with pins after shooting groups and sometimes couldn't tell if I even moved the pin then would tire and get frustrated. Cheap digital caliper from Canadian tire saved me so much time