Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-29-2016, 11:47 AM

Default Equipment to never skimp out on?

Hello all! Long time viewer, first time poster here!

At the end of this month, I plan on going into my local pro shop in Edmonton, and diving into compound target archery. With that comes all sorts of goodies I need to buy (i.e. the compound bow, sights, rest, arrows, case, thumb release, etc). Being that this is my first venture into archery, a lot of my components are going to be low-mid to mid range quality.

I have heard people say invest in the most comfortable and high quality hand release (e.g. a Stan release) you can as that will be with you longer then most of your bows and it is a safety matter. Others have told me to get the best rest possible. While others argue that a consistency with having the same good sight for years will improve your shots.

That being said, curiosity causes me to ask, if there is one or two things that right off the bat you should buy the best you can, what would you get? (minus the bow itself)

Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:59 PM

research first. Online or your local bow shop. Figure out exactly what you want. If your not in a rush, wait for things to go on sale. If your just trying to get set up now in time for season, this approach will not work so well.

If its a hunting rig, a right spot quiver would be highest on my list of things to spend the money on.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A good multi tool, one with a lot of options, carry it with you at the range, hunting etc it can save your butt repairing things and that will happen.
Welcome and enjoy the adventure, bows, bow shooting and hunting are very rewarding for the soul.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 PM

If I was starting again, knowing what I know now about proper shooting, I'd avoid all pointer finger releases,and begin with a back tension, hinge style of release.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naack View Post
Hello all! Long time viewer, first time poster here!

At the end of this month, I plan on going into my local pro shop in Edmonton, and diving into compound target archery. With that comes all sorts of goodies I need to buy (i.e. the compound bow, sights, rest, arrows, case, thumb release, etc). Being that this is my first venture into archery, a lot of my components are going to be low-mid to mid range quality.

I have heard people say invest in the most comfortable and high quality hand release (e.g. a Stan release) you can as that will be with you longer then most of your bows and it is a safety matter. Others have told me to get the best rest possible. While others argue that a consistency with having the same good sight for years will improve your shots.

That being said, curiosity causes me to ask, if there is one or two things that right off the bat you should buy the best you can, what would you get? (minus the bow itself)

Thoughts?
Since you are talking about target archery only, if it were me, I would spend extra money on a good rest and a good sight right off the bat. You can shoot very well with a mid range release, and once you get to know more about the sport itself, you are likely to get to know people who have drawers full of releases that they are willing to let you try out. Then you could go ahead and buy the one that suits you, whether it's a thumb, hinge, pull through, or normal trigger. You can buy many releases before you find the one that's right for you, but a good sight and rest are money well spent in the beginning.

Jmo, norm
Old 07-29-2016, 07:03 PM

So your vote would be to go with some solid sights and rests?

I have been tempted by some of those single dot sights that can be clicked to various distances, but they change quite the premium!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 PM

If I was setting a target bow up today I would buy an axcel ax-2000 sight with your choice of scope and pin size, and a Hamskea or Spot hogg blade rest. From there you can't go wrong. Just my opinion though, I'm sure others will chime in.

Actually, I am keeping an eye out for that very configuration right now. I am looking at setting up a Hyperedge for spots this winter.

Norm