Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 PM

Default Looking at some new bows.

New to the site here fellows and not very handy at these places so please bear with me.

I am getting back into bow hunting after a few years of letting it sit on the back burner some what. I have packed the bow around some over the last 10 years but have not been as active in it as I was a few years ago. It's time for me to upgrade from my old Jennings Buckmaster and well I am just looking for some input. Looking at a mid to higher priced unit willing to go up to $2000 range all in with ow all set up, case, a dozen arrows full new set up for the field.
I was online checking a few units out but there's nothing like first hand knowledge.

I am very interested in the PSE rts Surge it has good reviews and well PSE is a proven brand.

I might add our local dealer has, Hoyt, PSE, Bear, Martin and would like to stay with the local guy.

Thx gentlemen.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:13 AM
Banned

My advise, don't go by what you hear, don't go by reviews, and don't get hung up on what you thought was s good brand. Go to a few pro shops, tell them your budget and ask to shoot all the bows that fit the bill. Bows feel so much different to all people because everyone has a different muscle structure and all bow have different draw curves. Some stack up quick, some build slowly, and some stack up near the end of the draw. Best off is if you try as many as you can. One thing though, when you find one you like, check into the warranty. There are a lot of bows on the market today that come with a lifetime warranty, it's good to keep in mind.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 AM

Well, I bought a Bowtech 82nd Airborne in 2007, and I still shoot it. My brother bought a PSE Xforce in 2011 and he still shoots it.
He hates my bow, I hate his bow. I actually hand torqued his bow and it exploded. $500 oops on my part.

Anyway, getting off track. Go with feel, to me Bowtech feels right, looks right and I am happy and confident with it.

Get that feel when you draw, try them all. And when in doubt, go grab a Bowtech Boss ; ) If you have the dough, try a Prime, I hear nothing but great things from them. Or let Neil set you up with a smoking APA. Seek and try!!!!

Let us know.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:00 PM

Go shoot a hoyt or bowtech a jimbows. Or check out a mathews at lost. You wont look back. I am not a fan of pse compaired to the other brands. I have owned 3 of the brands and pse was my least favourite. You really just need to shoot them and see what fits you.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:05 PM

All good points gentleman thank you.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:23 AM

Default new bow

A friend of mine who has bowhunted for decades in several provinces and the NWT was in Cabelas. He tried an off the rack mid priced bow. It felt right and he bought it.
He says this is the best bow for him. He shoots a few local 3ds and his shooting ability has gone way up and he even won the hunter class with his hunting rig.
I did not care for it at all.
If you like it, it is the one for you.
Garry