Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Antlerless elk, cow or calf?

I have an antlerless elk special licence in 330. I would take a lone cow given the chance but if I see a cow calf pair I believe I will take the calf.

After the thread and "heated disgussion" dealing with the shooting of a lamb instead of the ewe, I see a thread where a fellow saw two cows and a calf and he shot a cow.

Nothing "wrong" with shooting a cow but I think in my case I"ll feel better taking a calf.

Robin in Rocky
Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 PM

I also have the draw I will take a calf if I see both
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Ten years ago, I don't think I would have even considered a calf, but my last cow elk draw I did take one. What changed my mind was understanding that the cow was a producer and the herd stands a better chance with these types of management choices. I'll admit, it's not for everyone and that's okay, but in my mind there is certainly nothing wrong morally or ethically with taking a calf. Good luck in your pursuits! Regards, Mike
Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 PM

Default cow or calf ?

I took a calf couple of years back.By accident. About the size of a big mule buck ,the meat was like veal no gamey taste very tender (the wife loved it)just not enoughof it.I would hold out for a yearling over anything else.
I have have big cows and both others,the yearling is my choice.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:06 PM

I've got the cow elk draw as well. I,m holding out for a calf about the size of a large deer.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:11 PM

I would take either cow or calf... I just want one of them to walk close enough for an arrow. Murphys law must be in affect because all i have had walk close enough or 3 bull elk. one 5x5 and two 4x4 it's driving me crazy having been drawn from antlerless elk and having the bulls everywhere.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM

I would feel a bit better if I took the calf.
I would think the cow would have a higher chance of living over the winter verses the calf on its own.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 PM

Bingo. Go for the calf. He likely won't survive to maturity anyways.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:39 PM

I have a cow elk draw in 352 been out for 8 days total and havent seen one yet
Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Depends

In cypress hills where I get a cow elk tag, the hunt is there for the express purpose of herd reduction/control you take a calf it is a 1 in 10 chance you have redurced the heard by one (10% recurutment is pretty good) and that one may have been a bull. Take a adult cow and there will be a real impact on the population, you need to remember what the overall management goal of the hunt is.

Cow or calf whatever floats your boat the only reason that drives me around the bend is you can't shoot a calf's moma. After the rut the calf is an independant being. It's like the kid has moved out and you have rented out thier room
Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Gone Hunting

"After the rut the calf is an independant being. It's like the kid has moved out and you have rented out thier room."

aulrich

Do you have any "proof" of that or is it your own theory? I believe I read somewhere, that "orphaned" animals have a higher mortality and it would seem logical to me.

Robin in Rocky
Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 PM

I do believe that the young spend the first winter under their mother's care.Myself I would take a calf and let the producing cow live but that is a personal choice.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 AM

I have to dig back through the books but think about it mom's already got another one to worry about. When winter comes do you think she going to do dig through the snow so the calf has something to eat. There is nothing more she can do for it.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 AM

Elk calves are usually weaned by mid-November, but it is my experience that the cow still provides other maternal care to her calf other than being a source of milk/nutrition. Examples of care would particularly include safety from and within the herd and from other predators. I think this is evidenced when a cow or calf is shot in late December or in one of the early seasons of January - February. It is common to see the remaining (living) cow or calf remain for a period at the site of the harvest. Hope this helps. Regards, Mike
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 PM

Default cow vs calf

is this THE duffy?
i hate to say this but i have taken both and the cows are by far the better flavored of the two. especially a dry cow mmmmmm, as the urban elk hunter once said "the best steak on 4 legs"