Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Mid-Season Ducks

For all you die hard duckers and goosers, do you change your tactics in the second half of the season? With pheasants and prairie zone deer around the corner, I probably only have a couple of migratory hunts left this season and I want to make the most of them.

Do you increase the number of decoys? Still use motion decoys? Change chokes and shot? Different set ups? Etc.?

For water hunts on ducks I haven't used any blinds yet this season but I'm going to dig those out for my next trip.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 AM

im curiouse myself. i have a water hunt planned for this friday and saturday and am wondering what to bring. weather says its going to be cold and rainy/might snow. will that change anything? should i go in the feilds instead? M70, you headin out this weekend too?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Usually I start using motion decoys I dont use them for the first while why lay down all your cards on the first hand? Every need a secret weapon.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Dont change anything... If its working.. It will keep on working... If its snowing its even better... Birds fly lower in the snow and just want to get back on the ground.. There sucidial in the snow.! Will land in just about any spread just as long as they think they have buddies on the ground... Its harder though when the snow stays and you have to hunt them in 4-6" of the white stuff that when its alittle trickier..!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:43 AM

thanks snap shot! ill let you know how it goes...
Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM

wait till theres the ponds are freezing up and melting in the morning, the ducks HAVE to go back to big water for roost purposes so go out break up the ice put out a couple spinners, take a case of shells and 18 floater duck deeks and hide in the reeds.
Late season ducks are the best ducks out there IMHO
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 PM

Yeah, Tallguy. I've got a buddy coming to town for a little visit and we only have time for a quick morning duck hunt. I want to make sure we can get a few. I'm going deep into my bag of tricks this time... I'm using more decoys, blinds, spinners, jerk cord, washed my decoys, etc. This will be one of the last duck hunts for me this year and I want to go out with a bang. (..and a bang, bang, bang)
Old 10-16-2007, 09:13 PM

a good way of increasing your chances would be to scout where the ducks are flying the day before
Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 AM

IM SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS SITE! hahaha. thanks boys, and good hunting to all this week!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Mid to late season Mallards get me talking to the feed lot owners!