Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2007, 09:17 AM

Default I'm off

Final preperations this weekend then it is off to BC for moose and caribou.We also have a couple elk tags.We should end up about 80 miles sw of FT Nelson.I can't wait.A friend is hosting me.Hope to priovide you with pics,see you in a couple weeks.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 AM

Default good luck

go get em double, good luck
Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM

I also forgot to mention my friend has a stone sheep tag as well.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:48 PM
-NDN-

good luck and stay safe.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM

GD Luck! Take lots o pics!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:02 PM

Good, luck.

Have a safe, & enjoyable trip.

Shoot straight. Lookin' forward to the story & pics.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:11 AM

Good luck....we're looking forward to the pics.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:14 PM

Well I made it back from Hell trip,ya hell trip.It all started a mile in when my trailer kept coming off the ball.Then mile two I ripped a valve stem off my quad.Mile three trailer hitch came off again.I decided to fix it and twisted the bolt off the coupler,luckily my friend brought a spare hitch.Finally got into camp,ten miles by quad took five hours.Got camp set up then went for a hike.That night it started to snow and rain,tent was leaking,had to get up and throw tarps over.Elk had to be six points,had a five point at 100yds.Moose had to be three on the bottom ar ten on one side,Called in a 50"bull to 70yds only to find he had two on the bottom and nine on the one side.Next day we look for inmature moose(two points or less on one side ,legal)everything we called in was too big.Then we went up one pass and there were to stone rams,My friend who had the tag went straight up at them and slipped and slid to get up there but he managed to get with in 50yds and then they just bedded down.He watched them for and hour and a half and the one was splitting hairs on wether he was legal(have to come above the bridge of the nose)so he let it go.Called in the same 50" bull and then he bedded down in front of us @150yds so we looked at him with the spotting scope and realized he had ten on the one side.....but the points have to be an inch long...fine.It was an inch long...but they also have to be longer than they are wide so we couldn't shoot him.Then we needed to find a caribou so we hiked up this pass,long story short we finally found a bull with five points on the top but he did not have the elbow point on his beam so we couldn't shoot him.Decided to call it a hunt then on the way back to camp there was a black bear way up the mountain so I wanted to see if the training and preping helped,Long story shortI climbed up and proceeded to miss the bear,it was really steep probably 40 degree angle aimed over,flat landers mistake.I went to check for blood and when I was just about there he came out even further up the slope,this time I aimed into him and connected.There bear dropped and tumbled down the mountain towards me at quite the pace hitting the ground about every ten to fifteen feet.He was coming right towrds me then proceeded to tumble with in ten yards and right past me.He finally got his claws dug in and stood up after about a 200 yds tumble,I shot him again.My .35 whelen did quite the job,first kill with that gun.Next day we paked up and headed out and about 500yds from camp I blew a bead on my trailer tire,I just dove it out,I wanted out.Got to the trucks then got loaded in the mud and drove for nine hours.Next day continued on and got 20 min from home and my diesel broke down,got towed home and haven't look at my truck since.There is way too many restrictions for that part of BC and I won't be going back there.The bear was only 5 1/2 foot and a beautiful hide,I will be rugging him

Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 PM

Sounds like an adventure. Aren't you glad you went? I'm sure over time that you will realize how much you enjoyed your trip (all repairs aside). You'll have memories for a life time.

Congratulations on the bear.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:56 PM

Wow, when I first read this thread I thought how awesome to be able to go after so many different animals on one hunt. Then reading all the restrictions it seems to be quite the task in locating a legal animal. Sorry to hear about the mechanical problems. Aside from the faults of machines I'm sure you'll look back and have enjoyed the time in what must have been some gorgeous country.