Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This is the only public document that I am aware of. The NR hunter host licence graph excludes Pronghorns as the total did not even register a % point.

http://www.afga.org/pdf/Hunting/Hunt...tions-2014.pdf

I have (somewhere) a few documents from years past that has detailed Draw stats including NR Hunter host licences issued per species. For several years, NR Hunter hosted Pronghorn licences were less than 2%.
I highly doubt that the % has increased significantly in the last few years.

As i have stated many times here in the past, the number of NRs applying in the draw system is a bogeyman. It is not so scary when the truth is know.

Sure the % of applicants could be a bit higher, or even a bit lower. However as the draw is based on a random selection of all applicants within a priority pool, it would be strongly abnormal for the % of successful NR applicants to vary much from the total % of NR applicants.
That sounds fair.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
That sounds fair.
Edited my last post.

Link has graph showing 2008-12 Pronghorn Licences issued.
NR Hunter Host was 2%.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Banned

The non-residents that were drawn for trophy antelope in 2012 would have started applying in 2002ish. As seen by the trophy pronghorn graph the amount of applicants in 2002 was 10,600. Now there are nearly 4X that amount (39,000).
So it could be a larger issue, but I cannot quantify it.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This reminds me of Packhuntr screaming for eliminating the NT hunt because of how devastating it is to potential recruitment. Yet he had no information to back up his claim.

NR hunter host licences account for around 1% of Trophy Pronghorn tags.

No matter how you slice it, this means that around 1% of applicants are NRs.

You really think this 1% is somehow responsible for a large part of the 400% increase in applicants?

DO you really think illegal applications are 75% of the application pool?

SO what if wives and kids are applying?
As long as people are using their own tags, then all is fine.

Get off it Deer Hunter, this just isn't the problem.

More legitimate Albertan hunters are applying for the draw.
Good for them, glad to have them onboard.

Instead of finding ways to exclude Albertans from the opportunity to hunt Pronghorns, we will simply have to find a new way to make sure everyone has an equal chance to hunt them. The straight priority system no longer works, it is time to issue licences through another process.

Fully agree 100% on those thoughts.
Heck I could be blamed as well since in the last couple years I have added 2 extra hunters to the pool and in the next handful of years it will be 2 more..... It's not the non residents or outfitting killing your chance for a tag. Population is growing at a rapid pace and there is only so much the wmu's can give
Old 08-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Banned

Agreed that there are more hunters. But 2016 saw a reduction in resident hunters for the first time. Yet saw the largest increase in trophy antelope applications ever, over 4800 more in one single year.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Gone Hunting

The drop in resident hunter numbers in 2016 is likely attributable to the economy in the tank and a lot of "resident" hunters were back home, a theory that has been mentioned numerous times on this board that it is way too easy to claim "residency" in Alberta