Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-29-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
I have a 1/4 of land and on two sides there is no hunting . So when I hunt my land I make sure I am far enough away from the no hunting fence lines and make sure I take good clean shoots .I have hunted this way for years and have never had any animals run off my land .Not sure why people feel the need to hunt on a 20 meter road allowance if you do not have permission on both side to risky and shows 0 respect to the land owners but if F&W lets this happen then not much a guy can do . And I am talking about big game hunting not bird hunting
I will hunt a no hunting fenceline from my permissions all day long. I also go and introduce myself to the non hunting landowners and notify them where i am hunting and the possible results of my hunting next to their properties. I have never, not once been told i would not have access to retrieve a animal if need be. A little courtesy can go a long way in this world
Old 08-29-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
I will hunt a no hunting fenceline from my permissions all day long. I also go and introduce myself to the non hunting landowners and notify them where i am hunting and the possible results of my hunting next to their properties. I have never, not once been told i would not have access to retrieve a animal if need be. A little courtesy can go a long way in this world
what I am saying is I do not do this when hunting . Its sounds like you give them a courtesy call just to let them know that you will be hunting there fence line because its your right and because its your right you will be going on there private property to retrieve your animal .
Old 08-29-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
you will be hunting there fence line because its your right and because its your right you will be going on there private property to retrieve your animal .
I don't believe a person has the second right mentioned.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
No clue what county, but strath county you cannot hunt road allowance
You cannot hunt on any Strath county property.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sure didn't take long for some idiot to shoot up that sign.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Hunters have no such rights in Alberta. If the hunter enters the private property without permission, he can be charged. If the hunter is given notice not to enter the property or refuses to leave when told to leave, the charges may be more serious than petty trespass.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

I'm having a hard time figuring out what would make a person hunt a 30mx800m stretch of bush where he/she isn't welcome on either side. No wonder landowners/hunter relations are not always friendly.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out what would make a person hunt a 30mx800m stretch of bush where he/she isn't welcome on either side. No wonder landowners/hunter relations are not always friendly.
nice to see some one thinks the same on this subject
Old 08-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
nice to see some one thinks the same on this subject
It don't make much sense when there are so many other places to go and not have a negative encounter. Not a very enjoyable time hunting if you have to worry about a possible conflict.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:41 AM

yes it makes no sense to me ether
Old 08-29-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
if do not own the land you have no right
Old 08-29-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:

The person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a license. Right from the regulations.

This has long been in the reg's and should be updated to include archery.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:07 AM

JDK71,

You have formed your opinion and are not listening to what im saying. I am saying nothing about a implied or expressed "right" to someones private property. What I am doing is asking for permission Pre shooting a animal to ask for access to recover if under the conditions a wounded animal enters their land.

I take private property and the respect of those who own it very seriously. stop jumping to conclusions.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
The person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a license. Right from the regulations.

so more wounded animals can run into private land
Old 08-29-2017, 11:12 AM

It is easy to read between the lines and realize that some rural landowners are claiming ownership of wildlife.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
It is easy to read between the lines and realize that some rural landowners are claiming ownership of wildlife.
And some hunters are trying to claim access rights to private property, that they don't own.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
JDK71,

You have formed your opinion and are not listening to what im saying. I am saying nothing about a implied or expressed "right" to someones private property. What I am doing is asking for permission Pre shooting a animal to ask for access to recover if under the conditions a wounded animal enters their land.

I take private property and the respect of those who own it very seriously. stop jumping to conclusions.
oh I am listening you are saying that you will sit on a fence line that is posted and you will take a shot on an animal when it is going towards private land and it mite go down before the fence or it mite cross the fence and go down in the private land when you have permission what if the land owner say no do you still hunt the fence line or do you respect his right to tell you no and move away to another part of the land you are hunting on or do you just take your chances .Because F&W mite let you go in and get it any way just a question
Old 08-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:

I understand that it could be within the regs but why create undue hardships. I guess what I'm saying is why intentionally go out to **** off a landowner? Just because the regs any you can don't mean it's right.
Had a guy that would sit on my fence line day in day out for a couple of weeks. Had permission from the neighbor but never ever asked me for permission. Probably would of gave it to him. Instead those were target practice and new load development days.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
oh I am listening you are saying that you will sit on a fence line that is posted and you will take a shot on an animal when it is going towards private land and it mite go down before the fence or it mite cross the fence and go down in the private land when you have permission what if the land owner say no do you still hunt the fence line or do you respect his right to tell you no and move away to another part of the land you are hunting on or do you just take your chances .Because F&W mite let you go in and get it any way just a question
Im hunting the property that neighbors yours. Can I retrieve a wounded or dead animal if that situation occurs? I take precautions to try and prevent this from ever happening.

I have never been told I cant ever access a private property to recover a animal.I do what I can to ensure I dont get into hostile situations between land owners. If I approached a land owner that said no I would make further precautions to help minimize the chance. nothing could ever prevent it entirely. If they cant see this, I will use whatever means I can to ensure a animal does not suffer or go to waste. As any ethical person should, no matter the land that animal is on.

I hunt 212 bow-zone. Where you are often times close to another landowners fence line at any place on the property. I had no landowner friends at the beginning and am now happy to say I have several. I respect people and am proud of it.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Banned

Moose, you gotta admit that it's a age old lie, probably one day younger than property lines, that people have used. I've heard these words before" I shot this deer across the road and it died in you're hay field". Sure it happens but not very often.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:27 PM

thanks for the reply
Old 08-29-2017, 12:34 PM

Default So it is written

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbob View Post
It's right in the regs retrieval of legally shot or wounded game overides trespass laws
NOTE: Important changes to the Petty Trespass Act took effect in 2004. See below.

Although there is a moral obligation to pursue wounded game and a legal requirement to ensure game is retrieved and not wasted or abandoned, these obligations do not override the legal requirement to get permission to enter private land.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
NOTE: Important changes to the Petty Trespass Act took effect in 2004. See below.

Although there is a moral obligation to pursue wounded game and a legal requirement to ensure game is retrieved and not wasted or abandoned, these obligations do not override the legal requirement to get permission to enter private land.
thanks for the info
Old 08-29-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Moose, you gotta admit that it's a age old lie, probably one day younger than property lines, that people have used. I've heard these words before" I shot this deer across the road and it died in you're hay field". Sure it happens but not very often.
Yup. Im sure it happens all the time. I just wont be the one saying them. Any way, Im done with this. All I wanted to say on the subject is when hunting road allowances. It can be legal. not advised, I would not do it and did not do it when watching the herd on the allowance but someone did.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
NOTE: Important changes to the Petty Trespass Act took effect in 2004.

Important changes to the wildlife act were also made regarding interfering with lawful hunting in the province. It is covered under section 47 I believe. Stating something online that is false, with the intent to dissuade someone fron hunting could be construed as a violation of the act. Although it may have been intended to protect us from antis, it should be used to protect us from ourselves.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 PM

North-south direction designated road allowances are one mile apart, east-west direction designated road allowances are two miles apart.

Maybe that blocked road allowance is only a mile between the next east-west road and therefore is not a designated road allowance right of way.

Looks like a nice road trail to stroll down and hunt grouse on.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Important changes to the wildlife act were also made regarding interfering with lawful hunting in the province. It is covered under section 47 I believe. Stating something online that is false, with the intent to dissuade someone fron hunting could be construed as a violation of the act. Although it may have been intended to protect us from antis, it should be used to protect us from ourselves.
I'm confused by your statement. What he wrote below what you quoted is not false. Both it and your statement that no one can interfere with a lawful hunt are correct. If you are in the road allowance you are perfectly legally hunting. If you are on land you do not have permission to enter you are not lawfully hunting. You are trespassing/poaching.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post
I'm confused by your statement. What he wrote below what you quoted is not false. Both it and your statement that no one can interfere with a lawful hunt are correct. If you are in the road allowance you are perfectly legally hunting. If you are on land you do not have permission to enter you are not lawfully hunting. You are trespassing/poaching.
So true,,,

Further to this, there is a requirement to "have adequate means to immediately retrieve any migratory waterfowl he or she may kill, cripple or injure."

Without permission to access , the hunter does not have "adequate means to retrieve" . Just something to think about next time one is tempted to pull the trigger on a duck on a roadside slough!!!