Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
This is an incredibly uninformed, cavalier statement. You should talk to the boys at the pinhorn about this
right on.......he pi..ed me off and I decided to bite my tongue. glad you stepped up.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
right on.......he pi..ed me off and I decided to bite my tongue. glad you stepped up.
Yup
Until someone has to re-fence miles of GL they won't get it....plus, fire alone isn't always good.....must be followed by rain or else wind erosion potential is massive
Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 AM

Default Huh

And there is no need to get Pizzed off, was no name calling, no belittling so hang the pitch forks. Read the message and offer suggestions, there's no insults meant here.

QUOTE=SLH;3601920]This is an incredibly uninformed, cavalier statement. You should talk to the boys at the pinhorn about this[/QUOTE]

Well that's a completely empty statement.
I am aware of the Pinhorn,and have spent many years dealing with wild fires.
If you've got some evidence contrary to my uninformed info, then it would benefit all, I'm guessing, to hear it.

Last edited by Full Curl Earl; 08-13-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
So if you book a flight and the airline cancels it you say "ah geez guys, no problem, stuff happens, guess that's the risk I take when I purchase your product"?
I've had zones closed South of the border and without my involvement a letter arrived apologizing for the closure, your points have been returned and here are your funds back. Now doesn't that just seem like the "Right way" to handle this?
If the threat of fire is that bad then absolutely, do what needs doing, but there doesn't need to be any victims here.
Hey there little buckaroo, I'm in the same boat, I have a tag as well, but I knew full well of the potential of what was going to happen. I'm not going to let it bother me and bitch and moan about it either. And for your booking a flight statement you'd be just plain naive if you didn't have flight cancellation insurance. Don't forget hunting is a privilege and not a right!!!!
Old 08-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Banned

What started the fire on the pinhorn?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:01 AM

Default Suspected

Suspected not much good would come from ya Pocahontas. (Are we exchanging 1940's western movie names)
Flight cancellation insurance is for when the ticket holder cancelles the flight.

Folks from the Pinhorn area I'm sure recall that the last fire started in July, a dry season for sure. How is the underbrush along the Milk valley there now? No one lost their lives thankfully, but rarely are lives lost in grass and wild fires.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Are you talking about private ranches or leased ranches? A privately owned ranch wouldn't need to talk to AEP about allowing access I would think.

Lease land, of course private land owners can do whatever they want.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Default The need for fire

S Alberta has had fire involved in its environment for a long time. We've actively suppressed it over the last 150 years... and that's changed things drastically.

I have very much often wondered if the Waterton-castle 'full curl Ram' ranges haven't been impacted by the pine and forest encroachment up the slopes.

Any historical pictures I've seen of the Pass or Waterton from the turn of the century show wayyyy more grass and a lot less trees. That's gotta affect sheep range.

I've often wondered if we haven't missed an opportunity to study the backside of Turtle Mountain.... she got pretty much denuded during the Lost Creek fires of 2002.... I wonder if the sheep forage and frequentbthe area more now.

I think if the Pinhorn or area gets burned... we should put it out ASAP. Risking lives and livelihoods is a no go for me.
I would not wish refencing all those stretches on anyone. I've strung a little bit of wire in my time.

BTW.... if anyone is re-stringing their bottom wires for antelope in that area.... feel free to PM me. I got myself and a young crew that'd love to put a few days work (volunteer) in that country.

And no. I don't have a speedgoat tag.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
What started the fire on the pinhorn?
Which one.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Which one.
A few years ago I heard it was lightning, where water bombers from Calgary showed up.
What was the more recent one?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Suspected not much good would come from ya Pocahontas. (Are we exchanging 1940's western movie names)
Flight cancellation insurance is for when the ticket holder cancelles the flight.

Folks from the Pinhorn area I'm sure recall that the last fire started in July, a dry season for sure. How is the underbrush along the Milk valley there now? No one lost their lives thankfully, but rarely are lives lost in grass and wild fires.
No, but livelihoods are. The last fire down there is getting very costly for the guy that is leasing it he has a herd of cattle that he is feeding his winter Hay to. So come winter time what is he going to feed his cattle with, and for probably the next 3 yrs. That's probably when he will be aloud to graze the lease land that by the way he still has to make his lease payments on. Lee is in some serious trouble, cause without his herd he has no livelihood. The fire never got down to the river bottom this time.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
A few years ago I heard it was lightning, where water bombers from Calgary showed up.
What was the more recent one?
This last one was lightening, but there have been others started with machinery.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

Can anyone remember an accidental fire started by hunters?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I was just going to ask the same question.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Yup, truck started it
Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Banned

And did it get away from these guys?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Well the locals had to go out and put it out with there grass skids it didn't get very large in size, thank God for no wind.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Banned

....just reread bessiedog's comments on trees/grass.

help me with this someone, 'cause I was under the impression the trees are taking over the grasslands (should I start another thread?)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Interesting point about losing 10-12 years of waiting for to draw for a tag from the govt. and then not being allowed into the specific area by the govt. Don't want to derail this weather thread so will start a new one.

EDIT... I just checked the the fire ban info for southeren AB, and it is not near as strict as some of you make it out to be. Sounds like people still have access to parks, crown land, and private property.
I still feel bad for my SIL who has waited 12 years to got his Trophy Antelope tag for 150, 151 & 152 this Sept. Sounds like he might be in tough when it comes to access.
That's the chance you take when you apply, and if you don't like it then don't apply. What's not so strict about a fire ban. A fire ban means NO FIRES, and for the record a fire ban has nothing to do with restricting access. The access restriction is up to the land owners and the lease holder (AEP)[/QUOTE]

You misunderstood my post. I am saying that the fire ban does not mean you are not allowed any access to the area. You are still allowed into the area that is under a fire ban, you just can't start any fires. Some fire bans can be much stricter like in parts of BC where you are not allowed to even enter certain large areas.
In the end, I hope you guys down south, and in BC, get some rainfall soon. We have had our fill here in central AB.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I was just going to ask the same question.
yup helped put out a large fire a number of years ago on a large ranch in south eastern alberta, Fire started from cig butt.. The hunter/spotter just before antelope season started it, stayed to help put it out too. he owned up to it after we got fire out... THEN the land owner granted him permission to hunt antelope the following day.... that don't happed every day...
Old 08-13-2017, 01:49 PM

I know this thread has gotten away slightly from topic. But just wanted to add that the reason for not allowing access for large blocks of backcountry during an extreme risk of fires, is not so much to prevent the campers and hikers from starting fires. Lightning has a much greater risk. but to make sure no one gets caught in the backcountry and trapped by a wildfire.

When everything in tinder dry the spread of a wildfire is rapid and you cannot outrun a fire. The risk of someone getting caught out there before they can contain the fire is too great.

For a rancher with large parcels of land that has their cattle on it, they need to be ready to move their livestock at a moments notice and do not want to be looking for someone hiking/camping at the same time.

Better to be safe, than sorry
Old 08-13-2017, 10:48 PM

Its so wet here there are area's of my lawn I haven't been able to cut at all this year, and my pond still extends into the neighbors field...ducks seem ok with it though
Old 08-14-2017, 12:17 AM

Hasn't been raining much at all around here either. Definitely doing OK compared to the south though.

Even if this access ban y'all talked about is not put in place, does all this heat and fire bans suggest we should expect even more of you fine folks from the south travelling to Peace Country this fall? I hope it rains down south
Old 08-14-2017, 05:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Hey there little buckaroo, I'm in the same boat, I have a tag as well, but I knew full well of the potential of what was going to happen. I'm not going to let it bother me and bitch and moan about it either. And for your booking a flight statement you'd be just plain naive if you didn't have flight cancellation insurance. Don't forget hunting is a privilege and not a right!!!!
Some people just put themselves in the "victims" position on thier own even though there was a way to insure it wouldn't happen.

Dry is dry just hope it rains and things turn around.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-14-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Three years ago some "hunters" started a fire in the porcupine hills while practice shooting some exploding targets. They did not stick around to help put it out. They also did not report the fire. The local fire dept put the fire out before it got out of control. Only takes one idiot to ruin it for all the rest of us.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 AM

Default Heck

Well heck, I'm curious what the way was "to insure it didn't happen".
This will be useful info for all hunters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Some people just put themselves in the "victims" position on thier own even though there was a way to insure it wouldn't happen.

Dry is dry just hope it rains and things turn around.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Interesting point about losing 10-12 years of waiting for to draw for a tag from the govt. and then not being allowed into the specific area by the govt. Don't want to derail this weather thread so will start a new one.

EDIT... I just checked the the fire ban info for southeren AB, and it is not near as strict as some of you make it out to be. Sounds like people still have access to parks, crown land, and private property.
I still feel bad for my SIL who has waited 12 years to got his Trophy Antelope tag for 150, 151 & 152 this Sept. Sounds like he might be in tough when it comes to access.
That's the chance you take when you apply, and if you don't like it then don't apply. What's not so strict about a fire ban. A fire ban means NO FIRES, and for the record a fire ban has nothing to do with restricting access. The access restriction is up to the land owners and the lease holder (AEP)[/QUOTE]

I drew the same area with a P-14, and this will be my last pronghorn tag in Alberta. That being said, I knew the risk when I applied, so I am not going to complain if I have a tough time finding access. If I have to, I will ride in from the main roads on my mountain bike.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 AM

Default Yup

Was always my plan as well, walk and bike. Some have suggested that seasons may be closed by SRD. I don't really get the "I knew the risk" mentality though. The risks associated with hunting are there may be no animals, others may be in the area, snow might come early, a wildfire may have burnt out the area. "SRD closing a zone they sold a permit for is not one of those risks" and points refund is appropriate.
Why are hunters so interested in not standing up for themselves.
Hope it rains and areas are not closed by SRD, and everyone gets to enjoy our country! Good luck everyone.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Was always my plan as well, walk and bike. Some have suggested that seasons may be closed by SRD. I don't really get the "I knew the risk" mentality though. The risks associated with hunting are there may be no animals, others may be in the area, snow might come early, a wildfire may have burnt out the area. "SRD closing a zone they sold a permit for is not one of those risks" and points refund is appropriate.
Why are hunters so interested in not standing up for themselves.
Hope it rains and areas are not closed by SRD, and everyone gets to enjoy our country! Good luck everyone.
I was responding in regard to the fire ban, and possibly having landowners restrict access, not to the government actually closing the season in some areas. If the government actually closes the zone altogether, then they should give everyone back their priority plus one point for this year.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

I dont see how my post is being quoted as being posted by "ram crazy" on post 87. Not the first time I have been misquoted or my posts changed on this fiorum lately. Anyways..
Everyone who draws for a tag should know that all kinds of things could happen to screw up their hunt plans. They shouldn't complaign if they forgot they have another obligation, their truck breaks down, and so on. Fire bans are not unussual, so you plan your hunt accordingly.
I do agree with Full Curl Earl, that if AEP actually closed down all access to the WMU's that you waited 10-14 yrs to draw for (that includes cycling on the main roads), just to be safe, then something should be done for those affected tag holders to get their priority points back. I have never heard of that happening, and I doubt it will come to that.
A simple fire ban or OHV ban might inconvience some hunters, but at least they are still able to access thier hunting areas.