Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-12-2016, 08:34 AM

Default Buying used bow.

What are peoples thoughts on buying a used bow? Has anyone bought one off Archery Talk forum before? Thanks!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:36 AM

Yup many times actually almost every bow ove owned has been off of there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 09:01 AM

From the American forums as well?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Specs

Try to buy a bow with your draw length or ask if it needs mods.
When was the string last changed - usually every 2 years
Ask if its been dry fired
look to see that the cams are straight
check condition of limbs and where was it stored in a frozen garage or at home at room temperature.
make the exchange at a bow shop and ask them to check it usually about $25 or nothing sometimes.
Ask what’s the bow draw weight. So, higher end bows that difference is only 10 - 15 lbs but for lesser bows with adjustable draw length anywhere from 5- 70 lbs

Being defeated is optional!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse270ballin View Post
From the American forums as well?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Yup the deals arnt as good anymore with the exchage but there is still some gems if your willing to wait it out. Target bows can be found especially cheap on archery talk

Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAT Hunter View Post
Try to buy a bow with your draw length or ask if it needs mods.
When was the string last changed - usually every 2 years
Ask if its been dry fired
look to see that the cams are straight
check condition of limbs and where was it stored in a frozen garage or at home at room temperature.
make the exchange at a bow shop and ask them to check it usually about $25 or nothing sometimes.
Ask what’s the bow draw weight. So, higher end bows that difference is only 10 - 15 lbs but for lesser bows with adjustable draw length anywhere from 5- 70 lbs
Good points here

Old 12-12-2016, 08:55 PM

I've bought 3 or 4 bows off of archery talk. All but 1 were as advertised. The other had more wear on it than I was expecting it to. I have also sold 2 on archery talk and have not had any problems, either way.

As others have mentioned, you really have to watch shipping costs, current exchange rates and absolutely do not courier stuff across the border so as to avoid "heavy" brokerage fees.

It's always best to purchase face to face, and if you can't but have a friend close to where the bow is with some technical knowledge that can look at it, then even that may help from being surprised.

Are you looking for something in particular? Maybe someone on here can help you out!
Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 PM

My impression is that they're often overpriced. I've seen bows on this forum listed at prices that are higher than common sale prices for a new bow that is old stock (a year or two old but never used)
It might sound silly, but when I see an old bow being sold with new strings my first thought is that the owner couldn't get it tuned and shooting well after the new strings because of some other problem. So I immediately question why it's for sale. I'd much prefer to try it at a range and see how it shoots before committing money to one that could've gone towards a brand new bow.
Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic as others here have good experiences with used bows and I haven't been able to convince myself of it.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:59 AM

I've bought 3 off of there and all were exactly as described. It seems like some guys on there try out bows like women buy shoes and they go through a pile of them in a year and if you watch you can get some good deals. I think this may not be like it was because the last one I bought from there the dollar was close to par. AS mentioned get shipping by UPS not a courier. Use the trader ratings and text or call the owner with questions.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 12-13-2016, 05:07 AM

OP, have you tried facebook... theres a few archery buy and sells on there

Old 12-13-2016, 07:17 AM

Default AT

I have bought and sold several bows on AT.
The ones I bought were as described. No problems to date.
Seller ratings are important.
Garry
Old 12-13-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I've bought 3 or 4 bows off of archery talk. All but 1 were as advertised. The other had more wear on it than I was expecting it to. I have also sold 2 on archery talk and have not had any problems, either way.

As others have mentioned, you really have to watch shipping costs, current exchange rates and absolutely do not courier stuff across the border so as to avoid "heavy" brokerage fees.

It's always best to purchase face to face, and if you can't but have a friend close to where the bow is with some technical knowledge that can look at it, then even that may help from being surprised.

Are you looking for something in particular? Maybe someone on here can help you out!
Looking for a Hoyt//Elite/Obsession 60#-28"

Wholesalesports has the Carbon Icon on clearance, probably not in the same class as the aforementioned but for $500, full package, it seems like that's an unreal deal? Any thoughts on the CI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
OP, have you tried facebook... theres a few archery buy and sells on there

I have not will look into it, are they Canadian?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post

Wholesalesports has the Carbon Icon on clearance, probably not in the same class as the aforementioned but for $500, full package, it seems like that's an unreal deal? Any thoughts on the CI?

Yes theres a canadian wide one and an alberta wide one.

Do you have specific bows in mind or are those just brands ypu wanna own?

I dont think you can go wrong with the carbon icon at that price.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=Pasc43;3414942]Looking for a Hoyt//Elite/Obsession 60#-28"

Personally, I advise people to avoid package bows from box stores for a couple of reasons.

First, Though the carbon icon itself might be an ok or even good midline bow, as you mentioned it won't be as good as a one or 2 year old flag ship bow from any of the manufacturers you mentioned you were interested in. While you might not appreciate any of the difference's in your first year, if you progress and stick with archery you certainly will notice it later on.

Second, the accessories that you get with these packages are typically less than desirable. Although they get you up and running , within a few hundred arrows you will probably be wanting to "upgrade". We see these type's of threads constantly wanting advise for upgrades. Do your research and buy good accessories and then you can use them for lots of years to come, regardless of the bow that you may have.

The deciding factor will be your budget. This stuff isn't cheap, especially the "good stuff", but in the end, only you can decide how deep you want to go off the hop. I always
Go by the addege of " buy once cry once".

Jmo,

Norm
Old 12-13-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Yes theres a canadian wide one and an alberta wide one.

Do you have specific bows in mind or are those just brands ypu wanna own?

I dont think you can go wrong with the carbon icon at that price.

Spyder/Nitrum/Defiant/Impulse/Defcon6 I hear good things about from online research. Only thing is I wouldn't be able to try and shoot them first if bought used online.

Thanks Norm, good insight.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Spyder/Nitrum/Defiant/Impulse/Defcon6 I hear good things about from online research. Only thing is I wouldn't be able to try and shoot them first if bought used online.

Thanks Norm, good insight.
Ya thats a huge thing is trying them first. If you were a lefty id let you try out my impulse 34.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:05 AM

Still can if you want, but itll be opposite hand.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:17 AM

I recommend going into a proshop before ordering anything 2nd hand and shooting some bows.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:

I believe if you buy a bow on this sale wss will throw in 6 arrows too

Old 12-14-2016, 09:23 AM

Called around, only Edmonton has one left in stock. Would Jim-bows price match this you think?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Called around, only Edmonton has one left in stock. Would Jim-bows price match this you think?
Look on Jim-Bows Edmonton/Calgary Facebook or Instagram ...there is a big sale this weekend.

Some prices WSS has are way below cost....they just want to get rid of the stock. Tough for a full service proshop to match certain prices.

LC
Old 12-14-2016, 10:22 AM

I would listen to everyone and avoid package bows unless you are on a really tight budget. I bought one as I was on a budget. It got me going. I harvested a few animals with it. Now not even a year later I'm wanting to upgrade my rest, sight and stabilizer. I will get the best upgrades I can that way when I upgrade my bow next year at this time I can get a way better bare bow.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
My impression is that they're often overpriced. I've seen bows on this forum listed at prices that are higher than common sale prices for a new bow that is old stock (a year or two old but never used)
It might sound silly, but when I see an old bow being sold with new strings my first thought is that the owner couldn't get it tuned and shooting well after the new strings because of some other problem. So I immediately question why it's for sale. I'd much prefer to try it at a range and see how it shoots before committing money to one that could've gone towards a brand new bow.
Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic as others here have good experiences with used bows and I haven't been able to convince myself of it.
Or strings wear out and stretch. After market and custom strings are usually an improvement. Depending on the bow you could pay up up to 200 bucks for a new set of settings and cables.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM

I've paid for new strings and I'm well aware of how much it improved my used bow (that I've owned since new). So why would someone replace strings with the expectation to improve things only to turn around and sell it after only 50 or 100 shots? Maybe it didn't improve things because there are bigger problems. Worth asking the question thus worth trying before you buy if at all possible
Old 12-20-2016, 09:43 PM

I don't agree that package bows are a bad way to go for a begging archer. While most will decide to upgrade there is really nothing wrong with the factory accessories especially for a beginner. Heck most of the factory accessories are better than lots of the top of the line stuff a decade ago. Can you imagine the amount of frustration for a beginner with a new bow with an HHA single pin and drop away rest to try and figure out at the same time as learning how to shoot.

Also how is a new archer suppose to have any clue about all of the accessories if they don't have any idea what the advantages might be to his archery style or what they want the bow for. Not everybody is a hunter but lots of archery enthusiasts they may want different add on stuff.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:56 AM

Default Apa

Quote:
What are peoples thoughts on buying a used bow? Has anyone bought one off Archery Talk forum before? Thanks!
I have and had good success, just to let you know a friend of mine is selling an APA mamba 6.5 with a rest for 450 and its in great shape. no issues and never dry fired. buck skin in color and its a 70 pound bow 25-30 inch draw length
Old 01-01-2017, 11:54 AM

If you want a package bow check out the Hoyt Powermax. It comes with the best accessories of any package bow. QAD rest, fuse sight, fuse stabilizer, and fuse quiver. The cams are very similar to the RKT cams which a lot of people consider the best Hoyt cams prior to the DFX. Accurate Archery carries this bow as well as Jimbows I think.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:59 PM

Buying used can be good or bad, I would suggest doing some research on the seller in the forums he visits. Look up his posts, and see what he has been up to. Often their posts reveal problems they have had, abuse they put the bow thru etc.

Usually they are advertising on a forum they post in.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:38 AM

New to the game but I am noticing that most sellers want way too much for old equipment -- just an early observation.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrocarbon View Post
New to the game but I am noticing that most sellers want way too much for old equipment -- just an early observation.
Seems like used stuff 5 years and less plateau's at around 50-60% of new cost, for a bare bow....accessories attached to a bow on sale are worth very little other than curb appeal. 1 year old expect to lose 30-40% depending on brand and model.

LC