Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 PM

Default So close and yet Soooo far

I worked nights last night and took off this morning with my son for a quick moose BOW hunt. We get to where we wanted to be. Wait 15 minutes and give one cow call. Off in the far distance we get a low response. 10 minutes later he's a bit closer. We can hear him in the tamaracs slowly moving our way.

We try and set up on the cut line as no chance in the bush way to thick. One more call and he's still coming, but now he's drifting slightly coming in on us on a angle.

Sure enough he slips in on the line 82 yards away from me. a real nice young spiker bull. Stops dead on the cut line looks torwards where the calls were coming from. I make a real soft call facing away from him. He takes 4 steps forward stops for like 3 minutes and then walks into the bush to circle us down wind.

We played tag with him for close to 1.5 hours always him just stayn 40 yards deep in the bush.

Couldnt get him to move in on us at all.

Anyone got any ideas on what to try if this happens again in the future??

AL
Old 10-05-2008, 08:20 PM

get the caller into a thicker area... if he cant see through the trees/bush, he'll have to come closer... Calling on a cutline, he can see all the way. just my thoughts.... works the same for elk, or so I'm told.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:24 PM

For the situation you are talking about I think it would be ideal to have a cow moose decoy such as a Montanna. A young spike bull would likely be spooked by any brush thrashing or bull grunting, but I would have tried it anyways when he wasn't responding well to what you were doing.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:09 PM

I agree with H81. The decoy could be the ticket to bring him in that extra little bit. There was a guy on here last year that had good luck using that black landscape fabric.

Good luck
Old 10-05-2008, 11:48 PM

x3 on the decoy. He's a spiker anyway, so he's just hanging around trying to learn most likely.