Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

View Poll Results: Scent elimination techniques
Scent Elimination 9 29.03%
Scent Elimination with cover scent 16 51.61%
other 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Scent cover vs, scent eliminator

There are many options out there and I'm sure most work well. But I was just curious as to what other archers "OPINIONS" are on this stuff. I personally have bought the primos stuff (laundry detergent, soap, and all that stuff.) but Mainly I'm asking about the sprays. I've picked up the Primos scent elimination spray and the Earth Blend scent elimination spray as well.
Hmmm... Earth blend or no earth blend???

Last edited by Knownonscents; 10-02-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 PM

I'd like to see an option of "using the wind" or something similar. I've used the scent covers and I'm not sure I buy into the scent "eliminating" clothing or clothes detergents. We really have no way of knowing whether they work or not since our sense of smell is nowhere near that of a deer, elk or moose. One study that I did read that looked at the effect of carbon-lined clothing showed that there was no noticeable benefit. I believe the study used dogs.

It's definitely an interesting topic....But, until something is proven to work (and I want to see from a source other than a marketing group) then I will remain a skeptic and use the wind in my favor whenever possible.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see an option of "using the wind" or something similar. I've used the scent covers and I'm not sure I buy into the scent "eliminating" clothing or clothes detergents. We really have no way of knowing whether they work or not since our sense of smell is nowhere near that of a deer, elk or moose.
Very valid point, I have a hard enough time finding game let alone worrying about what I smell like. I dont have faith in them myself but I figure Its probably better to smell like dirt or be "scentless", then smell like coffee and smokes.

When posting this I kinda assumed that "using the wind" was kind of a given at least for experienced hunters(Unlike myself). I think If I put "using the wind" in the Poll, I bet we will know the outcome. So I would like to keep it directly related to the sprays but I will add the option of "none"
Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM

well guys the way i do it and as a guy who takes pictures , i put my hunting clothes in a barrel , of tree bark , where in sinks into the clothes ,and i do get very close to game that way , i don,t use any scents , it works for me. on this pic too close for my lens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture107.jpg (37.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 10-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Default sent sprays

well boys here is what works for me i first use a sent elimanator at the beginning of the season then i like the h.s pine sent waffers in a plastic bag non secnted of coruse and spray my camo down with the primos earth blend with sent killer in it every night after hunting and put them in the bag with the waffer seems be be a good mix this way they are always in this kinda enviroment and it seems to work ok for me but i also try my best to set up and hunt with the wind in my favor i hope this is helpful
Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 PM

This is what me and my virgin hunting skills did . TOOK A SHOWER . Used no heavy sented soap , infact I used some unsented stuff . Then put them insense sticks under a bucket and I tell you right now that crap reaks , but covers the sent of every thing with in a 600 Yard I think the thing says radius .
Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
I'd like to see an option of "using the wind" or something similar. I've used the scent covers and I'm not sure I buy into the scent "eliminating" clothing or clothes detergents. We really have no way of knowing whether they work or not since our sense of smell is nowhere near that of a deer, elk or moose. One study that I did read that looked at the effect of carbon-lined clothing showed that there was no noticeable benefit. I believe the study used dogs.

It's definitely an interesting topic....But, until something is proven to work (and I want to see from a source other than a marketing group) then I will remain a skeptic and use the wind in my favor whenever possible.
I've been bowhunting for 8 years. I didn't get my first kill until the third season I hunted (muley doe). Since I started bowhunting I have slowly refined my current scent control program. I used to use scent eliminator & cover scents, but have cut out the cover scents (for the same reasons listed in the above quote). Cover scents may actually alarm game in my opinion, as these smells may not be natural to them. However I do believe that scent eliminators have come a long way, and they really help by absorbing almost all odours, so I use them on a daily basis. I also follow a very strict program of washing with only scent free soaps, using scent free pitstick, scent free detergent & no colognes or aftershaves throughout the entire bow season. I am quite certain these scent control products do work, because since making that first kill 6 years ago I've taken 17 more big game animals with my bow. Playing the wind is very important, but not enough for repeated success while bowhunting. Scent eliminators all the way!