Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 AM

Default Help Required

I have some questions, any input is valued.

My tree stand sits about 14 feet off the ground, on a cut line off a feeding field about 50 yards. I am seeing a lot of deer, both whitetails and muleys. I have seen some small whitetail bucks and been using a true talker call and rattling.

The buck I keep seeing appears to be chasing does, he hears the call but does not follow in to inspect. Is it to early? I am using 3 grunts about 10 minutes apart and rattling occasionally for approximately 30 seconds every 10 to 15 minutes. I am using a scent cover up and have had no indication whatsoever that they have spotted/scented me. Perhaps it is just about patience/luck but also wondering if I am doing something wrong with my calling. Could also be the location of my stand I guess, perhaps picked the wrong trail into the field.

My blind sits on the edge of the field, it has been there for about 2 months, I can tell from the stand that the deer do not appear frightened by the blind - I was thinking I would wait til later in the season to try the blind - should I abandon the stand and only hunt the blind? Being a newbie I am thinking my chances are better from a stand - is that an incorrect assumption?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2008, 08:55 AM

I could be completely off base here, but if he seems to be chasing does why not try a bleat call? He seems to be following his hormones, play to it. Might work.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 AM

The deer rut season is over a month away yet, be patient.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 AM

I would lay off the calling altogether....for now. If you see him in the "same" area chasing the does, I would try moving your stand closer to the action. If you havent got him by mid October, I would give the calling a try again. I know everybody has a different opinion about the "perfect" stand height, but I like to be quite high, my stands have my seat at 25 feet....but if your 14 is working for you, and you feel comfortable stick with it. Good Luck! (post pics if you get him)
Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 AM

x2 It's too early for calling. My best whitetail came to me because someone was calling too early. As soon as he started grunting & rattling the buck chose a different trail, my trail.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:52 AM

Way to early for calling. I would be very surprised to see any bucks chasing does right now.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Default buck

The guys are right the rut as a long ways off, a buck on a doe is almost impossible to lure away though. I'd get a doe decoy and the does will come to investigate....they're quite territorial. Mr buck might just follow the does in. Later during the rut try a doe and a buck decoy, sometimes the buck can't stand to see another buck with a doe. I don't think I've ever seen a doe come in on a buck decoy though, they're re pretty wary of bucks. So if you want to fill some doe tags before the rut you should stick with the doe decoy for now.

sounds like you're having fun

the chef