Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Default Braodhead Troubles

Been shooting my field tips for a while now. I have good groupings @20, 30, 40 yrds. So I decide it's time to put on a broadhead (muzzy 3 blade) and they weren't even close. Just about a foot low @30 yards. Now what? I heard Slick Tricks broadheads shoot like field tips. Any help would be good. Don't feel like completly sighting in again since the season is only a few days away.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:13 AM

I shoot 100gr 3 blade muzzys, mine hit in the same holes as my filed points..

make small adjustments to your rest to get them hitting in the same place..

once you get them hitting in the same spot (if they are not in the middle at this point that is ok), then move your sight to get them in the same spot...

here is a link to a tuning guide...

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460

Last edited by Kale_M; 08-30-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:22 AM

Another option is to put on a good quality mechanical. Fixed blade heads, especially out of fast bows can be very finicky. Wind also plays havoc on them. Yesterday I was at the range and two fellows there were extremely frustrated with their heads. From what I could gather, they had sighted in their broadheads the day before and all was good, however, yesterday, the wind had switched, coming from a direction it rarely does. The result was errant flying broadheads.
Save yourself some headaches, buy some Wasp Jak Hammers, Rockets, Snypers or some NAP's, you won't be disappointed.
Good luck to you!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Banned

Default Broadheads

X2 on the jak hammers mechanicals. I have been using these for a few years, large cutting diameter and they shoot the same as my broadheads, I never had to touch my sites. I have shot a couple of deer with them, one out of a tree stand, shot a little high through the spine, the head was fully intact. The deer went about 40 yards.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:32 PM

Would the jak hammers be sufficient for moose and Elk?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:49 PM

one word of caution

Mechanicals are not always an quick cure for bad broadhead flight. I would be really concerned about my bow not being in tune to shoot fixed blades. I have seen mechanicals fly worse than fixed broadheads. No matter what you try they all work if placed in the proper place, take the broadheads of choice and shoot them and make sure they go where you aim. It might be something that is loose and you can not notice it with feild points, but the broadheads magnify the problem so it is more noticable.

Check your broadheads not matter what you shoot, better to be sure than to lose an trophy because of not checking things out
Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
Would the jak hammers be sufficient for moose and Elk?
If your Kinetic energy is over 60ft lbs, Yes.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 PM

yes, slick trick flie like field points.
tried them indoor at 40 yards...dead on.
I didn't believed the word on the street ...had to try one out and dull the blades.
but it was worth it to get the reassurance.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:10 PM

I shot a few old NAP Shockwaves I had sitting around and they shot just like my field tips, I just have no time right now to tune in the muzzys. Now I guess I will invest in something a little better like the jack hammers and try them out. Does wholesale sports sell the wasp jack hammers? Does anyone use Shockwaves?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM

I have used Shockwaves too. They kill just fine, however, I found them not to be as tough as the Jaks.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:12 PM

If your broadheads are hitting low then your nocking point is to high. Try moving your nock down in very small increments until they are hitting the same hight. I assume that the field points and broadheads are the same weight. Are the broadheads and field points hitting the same left - right?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM

rae61 - I think we have a winner with your answer...

To those that buy new broadheads everytime the arrows don't fly right...

the dealers thank you.

My own thoughts - you can not deny the quality of the head. It's obvious that tuning is whats needed, not new gear.

Make sure you spin test the broad heads too before leaping into a bunch of wild set up changes. Also number your arrows and keep track of where they are hitting. If a particular arrow is consistently hitting off the mark set it aside. Eg. this morning I was shooting @ 50 yds and I had 2 decent arrows and another 1' to the right a couple of times. So I checked the tail numbers and kept track, sure enough same arrow every time. I set it aside and used a different arrow. Whamo, I had good groups. Checked the bad arrow by spinning it, come to find out the nock was crooked (spinning .011" TIR and spec is .003-.005 TIR) So I'm betting that was my problem.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:04 PM

X2, please make the time to tune your bow properly, even if it means missing an evening hunt. You owe it to the game your persuing to make sure you've got it shooting right...
Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 PM

Yeah coulee I would take the advice of tuning your bow once done properly they should fly close to the same. Changing broadheads (fixed blade) wont work going to a mechanical may solve the flight problem but your bow will cause you problems for ever. having a bow not propely tuned will enphasize any shooting mistakes you may be making. Tunning is easy and wont take more than a hour to do you owe it to yourself. Never really liked mechanicals personally but like the G5 tekan and the Rage they are a sliding action and not a folding one, so maybe check those if you do decide to go with a mechanical.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to get my bow tuned and my rest was out of wack. Took it back to the range and am already making tighter groups with field tips up to 40 yards. I through on a muzzy and all it needs is a little fine tuning. It makes a guy feel better when he knows his equipment is shooting like it supposed to.

Thanks
Couleestalker
Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM

Great to hear.....all the best this year!!

Cheers
Mike
Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Good on ya for tuning it up, best of luck to ya!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Does wholesale sports sell the wasp jack hammers?
For what it's worth, they did have some in when I was there on Wed. evening.

Stinky
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 AM

Try Rage broadheads. Theyre a little more money but I'm very happy with them. They come in a pack of 3 and a bonus practice broadhead. They fly just as true as a field point even at 60 yards.
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:04 PM

Make certain your bow is paper tuned to a bullet. I've shot elk with 100 gr Slick tricks (good blood and a hole) and NAP spit fires both did the job I perfer the slicks but I do need to make sure my bow is paper tuned down range.