Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 PM

Default 332 cow moose?

My son got drawn for a cow moose in 332. We're planning on going out on the 3rd of Nov. and spending a few days. Any suggestions where would be a good place to find one.
Thanks,

BIG AL
Old 10-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Doc Holiday

Buck Mountain Grazing Lease, lots of land, hilly rolling terrain with patches of timber. An awesome place to hunt, but I'd suggest obtaining a county map... ( Brazeau, & Wetaskwin I think.. ) Should be no problem connecting on one fer sure. Have a great hunt.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:15 PM

There are no moose in 332, tear up your Son's tag and put the money you'd spend into buying 1/2 a beef.
Ditto on the Buck Mountain Reserve, try the South part just East of the Headquarters.
Also dont rule out the Medicine Lake Reserve as well, go North off of HWY 53 between Hwy 20 and 22

There are no absolutes
Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Doc Holiday

Fergot about Med Lk... Thx to Dick ..... good huntin there too. Like everywhere else... lots of pressure... but the odd time that could work in yer favor...
Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM

Dick284;
I believe the grazing reserve you are refering to is called the Rocky Mountain Grazing lease. The Medicine Lake reserve is west of approx 15 - 20 km west of Hoadley and north.
Regardless, if you put your time in, in and around the 2 leases you will find Moose, Elk, and WT.

Big AL,
I'll PM U.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 AM

Default 332 moose

if you take the medicine lake road off hwy22 and go about 4 km passed the campground you'll find a road that goes to the north, you'll know it's the right road if there are the remains of an old corral on the opposite side of the entrance. back in the day i used to bowhunt moose down in the swamp there and they were plentiful. drive up the road and not very far in, a quarter k or so the road makes a sharp right turn if you go straight instead of making the turn you will find yourself on a pipeline that runs straight north. this line runs right to the swamp. in nov. the sloughs are usually frozen and you can get around pretty good. if your boy can't find a moose in there he ain't looking.
this is a very popular spot so a couple of days before opening day i'd be in there scouting and setting up camp.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 AM

Agree with everything elsparko says, although it will not be frozen opening day with the weather were having, and...... there have been a few wolves through there lately.
This is a popular spot for hunters, we have taken elk and deer out of the exact area starting 20 years ago. BTW I don't hunt there anymore, since the lease road has been built, easy access, close to main roads, not to say there's no game, it just gets busy sometimes.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:12 PM

Default moose 332

Greywolf, thanks for the pm. I replied. I was just wondering if you received it.

Al
Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 PM

Yes, will respond tomorrow A.M.