Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Good bullet for deer?

Hey folks! Just curious on people's opinion regarding what grain of bullet is best for deer in 7mm mag? I've decided on buyin a savage 7mm, and I know with that calibre I won't need anything too excessive. Any thoughts?

MOults
Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
stubblejumper

I use the 140gr bullets myself and find that they work well.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:55 PM

i shoot 154 grain hornady's and have never had a problem with them out of my 7mm
Old 10-15-2007, 10:13 PM

Although my wife has one, I've only had a bit of experience with the caliber. We were using 140's but have since upped to a 160 or 165 gr bullet. It supposed to be a more versatile choice for the gun. Don't know if it is or not, the gun hasn't been used since the last moose 3 years ago.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Keep it light

Keep it light! Heavier 7mm bullets get too long and have poor aerodynamics. I have loaded just about every grain bullet for the 7mm and the most accurate has been the 150 grain Ballistic Silver tip - Combined Technology. And their relatively cheap. Retention is not Great, but if your digging bullets from dead carcasses to weigh them you should stop and ask why!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Heavier 7mm bullets get too long and have poor aerodynamics.
Actually the heavier bullets of the same design usually have a higher ballistic co-efficient,meaning they cut through the air easier.They just can't be driven as fast as lighter bullets.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Corrected

Yes, yes this is true Stubblejumper! Trying to keep it simple. BC's of .490 and sectional densities of around the .265 mark are my goal for the 7mm. Moults, I think you are looking for an easy answer, and my suggestion would be a 150 gr boat tail bullet for deer. But that's just 1 dummy's opinion.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:27 AM

The best dang deer bullet is the one that shoots itty bitty groups in your rifle.
Be it a 140, 150 or a 160, as long as your rifle shoots them well.
Deer are not armoured or terribly tough to kill, accuracy should be your primary concern, all the rest will sort it's self out in due couse.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Nationwide

spend a little $$$$ and try a few brands to see which one works "BEST"in your gun .Who knows maybe some of your buds might have a few rounds they could let you try and save a few $$$.Good luck
Old 10-16-2007, 07:40 AM

First things first. Are you planning on reloads or factory ammo? I've used the 150 Ballaistic Tip exclusively in my 7RM since they first came out. Shots lots of deer, a number of moose and antelope plus a couple of black bear. From my experience, they're accurate and lethal.

Bobby B.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 AM

I like Dick's advice to shoot what shoots good in your rifle.

For my 7mmRM I shoot 165 gr bullets, as an all round bullet, good for deer and also for elk and moose, and no switching back and forth from light to heavy bullets.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM

I've read that those new Fusions are supposed to be designed for deer and not be too expensive. Not so good for anything heavier though. Just read it, haven't tried them.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 PM

Awsome, thanks guys. Your tips are much appreciated!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:07 AM

That fusion will work great on elk and moose.. the only reason its called the perfect deer round is to sell it to all are brothers down south.. What is the number one big game animal hunted in the USA ? DEER.. The fusion is the best round for the money hands down. Give them a try i think you will like them...
Old 10-18-2007, 07:39 AM

So you finally made up your mind and boy you picked a great caliber! My couisin has a 7mm and he uses 150 grain nosslers and usually he buys remington brand bullets. Moults, I have seen what this weapon can do with this grain of bullet as my cousin knocked down his 6x7 bull elk with the 150 grain bullet and numerous moose and deer. To me it is a good all around grain of bullet it seems to handle eveything quite nicely. By the way Kelly told a really good story about you doing the beaver trap sneak,hahaha, it was way too funny of a story. Kelly just got back from a sheep hunt with his friend in the nordegg area last week and they were lucky and got one.

I am going pheasant hunting this weekend what are you up to?

goose