Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2017, 12:20 PM

Default Hunting / family dog advice please

Hey there dog owners.
I am looking at a German Shorthaired Pointer, found some great info on breeders etc from the forum. It’ll be a family dog and plan to hunt birds as well. Done my research on the breed but before I make a final decision, hoping for some real life facts from GSP owners or even recommendations for other breeds. I want to get the right dog and make sure I am ready for one!
Big factors for me are:
Exercise – Recommendation is 2 walks a day. Do they need this much? I’m planning on 1 run / walk per day. I plan is to take it everywhere I can like camping, mountain biking...
Cold weather – how do they cope in Calgary? Do they need jackets, booties etc.?
I plan to install a dog flap and outside area for their bathroom. Good idea?
I read they don’t shed too much, is that true?
When you have to leave them home alone, do you crate them or are they ok to roam the house?
Thanks in advance and appreciate any feedback. This is a huge life changing decision for my family and I want to get it right the first time!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:12 PM

I have a Large Munsterlander a breed very similar in temperament to a GSP. After about 4-5 months old and under 2 years of age , 2 a day off leash walks were needed. After one good one worked now at 5 I can skip a day but only one before he gets squirrelly.

We kennel trained I don't know how people go without.

I can't speak to the shedding and jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 08-28-2017, 02:23 PM

Defintely not an expert, but this is my experience with ours:

Exercise: A lot. They're built to run all day long. I usually run with mine in the summer and we'll cover 8 or 9 km a day. I get tired before she does.

Cold: I'm in Edmonton, and she'll last about 45 min outside in the dead of winter before she starts to get cold. Usually have a neoprene jacket on her for later season waterfowling.

Shedding: She sheds less than the our chihuahua.

During the day: Ours is kennel trained and happy enough in there during the day. She's generally well behaved out, but she does get bored easily and that can lead to destructive behaviour (or occasionally funny - she sometimes takes all the baby toys, piles them up abd lays in them. Doesn't actually chew anything).

As long as you can commit to keeping it exercised and entertained it'll be a great family dog.

There are some genuine experts on here so hopefully they'll chime in as well.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:28 PM

Don't own a GSP but you asked for views of other dog owners. I have a Brittany who gets two walks a day totaling about one hour and fifteen minutes... and he's 11. He used to get more. And most of that is off leash. A hunting dog needs and wants to move. GSP owners will have better data here.

We have a dog door for our mutt. Godsend. He can go in and out as he pleases, day or night. Have to make sure it seals in winter, and they rarely do perfectly, plus a good wind blows them open. Be prepared for a cold kitchen some days. With a GSP you might have a pretty big dog door. I'd worry about someone getting in it, or at least reaching up and grabbing the door handle.

Finally, don't box your dog for hours on end. It's no life for a dog to be in a crate the whole time you are at work, shopping, out with friends, etc.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:50 PM

My GSP said walks don't count...RUNNING counts!!! About an hour of running once a day is all mine got and she accepted that (would always like more I think). Bigger runs on the weekend.
I have found there is quite a bit of fine hair around from ours...not a big deal, but there will be hair.
I didn't get mine until she was 2years old. She had been crated before that. We missed the puppy stage. We decided to let her roam after a couple of months. She had a couple of incidents (missing apple pie and some fly tying hackle). After a good talking to she never got into anything again. She has been mellow around the house and great with every kid she ever met.
They are very smart and you need to be the dominant one. Just be consistent so they know what is expected and you will have a fantastic friendship.
Mine liked to hunt in the cold so she would not get too hot. Running at -15C was not an issue. No coat or boots.
She is now 12 and one hip is giving her trouble. Her mind still wants to go, but the body is slowing her down.
First dog for me....it has been a pleasure to watch her hunt
Old 08-28-2017, 03:01 PM

I've had 3. All with the intent to hunt them but were just great companions and family dogs in the end. Great with my kids from babies to teens. Never a growl when being bugged. Loved those kids to death. Great with other people and their kids. I miss having one. The pull to get # 4 is huge

Mine had a dog door into their kennel/heated and insulated garage. I built a tall work bench the length of the wall. They could only come into the area under the bench as I used plastic lattice to seal them in and allow heat to move freely. It had a door to the interior too to put food bowls in or get into to clean. Insulated foam panels on the cement under the floor. Big enough box(always had 2 at one time) at the far end away from the cold doggie door and full of value village quilts. Kept the garage at 5 degrees in the winter. Dogs would get a winter coat and regularly played outside together in minus temps. They spent the day in the kennel while at work or if we went out for the evening to somewhere they couldn't go. Worked slick.

as mentioned, our Chihuahua also sheds 10 time more than the GSP"s did.

Last edited by Sooner; 08-28-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:05 PM

Oh and if you can find a place that actually has birds that you can get to regularly, that is gold, and you would be surprised that you can actually find places like this hat in town. Though in town a cc or a very steady dog is an absolute must

Old 08-28-2017, 03:05 PM

I have a Drahthaar which is quite similar to a GSP, and one good off leash run for 3/4 of an hour per day is adequate, especially with some swimming thrown in during summer , or if we are in deeper snow in winter. This close to the season, we are out twice per day to help with his conditioning. We are fortunate to live within 150 yards of a field a bit larger than 1/4 section, where we often encounter Hungarian Partridges, which helps to train a dog.. Other than training obedience, we never do on leash walks.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:07 PM

We have a lab.

He is first and foremast a family pet. And he does that amazingly well.
Second, he comes out for ducks and runs trails for grouse. He'll retrieve both quite well, but he is by no means the world's greatest.

We did one obedience class when he was a puppy, but otherwise took it upon ourselves to spend a ton of time teaching him the do's and don'ts.
** I believe this is where many people fall short -- they don't stick to the basic training of their dogs for months and months after the honey moon phase of a new puppy dies off.

As for exercise, the wife takes him for a walk in the early AM, then we run/swim him nearly everyday after we get home from work. Our neighbour lets him out at lunch for a quick run and bathroom break. If he doesn't get his exercise, he'll stand in the middle of the room and stare at us non-stop. It's comical, but really sucks in the winter on those terrible cold days.

Good luck with your search -- fun times ahead!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:21 PM

I own a GWP, and he hunts with a group of variation of short hair pointers and Britney spaniels. Over the years I've found that the wirehaired breed takes on training somewhat quicker and are not as high energy as the shorthair pointers. Regardless of your decision the pointer family is a great choice for family/ hunting partner. I would also recommend the vizsla.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:02 PM

Thanks for all the responses and advice, appreciate the help in making this decision.
Did anyone regret getting a dog, either the type or under-estimated how much work they are...?
My kids are 4 & 6, IMHO this is the perfect time to get a dog if I am ever to get one!

Hey Okotokian, I also looked at a Brittany. Any reason you went with that breed?
Old 08-28-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
Thanks for all the responses and advice, appreciate the help in making this decision.
Did anyone regret getting a dog, either the type or under-estimated how much work they are...?
My kids are 4 & 6, IMHO this is the perfect time to get a dog if I am ever to get one!

Hey Okotokian, I also looked at a Brittany. Any reason you went with that breed?
If you get a bird dog, expect them to be full of energy. My two would pull me on my bike for blocks before I would even have to think about pedaling. Do not roller blade behind two shorthairs in their prime lol. Thankfully the two played together lots in the yard while we were working. Still needed their run or walk at night.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Not Okotokian, but another Britt owner. First, any bird dog you get will need at least 2 hours of off-leash per day. Their ancestors were selected over hundreds of years, to be dogs that could run through the fields all day long. They need that exercise. My boy gets 8-20 km (for me...2-3 times that for him) per day most days in the summer, frequently including swims and it suits him very well. Less once I'm back to school, but we still get to the off-leash park on a daily basis for a good long rip, and then hunting on the weekends and some evenings.
Britts cover ground very well, are fantastic bird-finders, extremely loyal to their master (but still love everyone, including other dogs), nice and light (mine is 37 pounds on a good day) which means they can get through tight spaces better than larger dogs and can be slung across your shoulders if the need arises to carry them (has happened on a couple of very fast streams), will not quit until they find what you send them for, are often strong-willed (read: stubborn) but learn quickly, will certainly keep you exercised, they look absolutely fantastic...I could go on. A lot bird dogs will have many of the same characteristics, but I sure love my Schaffer. He sheds mostly seasonally, and his doggy door (which came with the house) has been fantastic for him.
Whatever you decide, a versatile hunting dog is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 PM

Mine changed how I hunt, before mine I was a field goose hunter and grouse ground pounder.

I hunt way more upland now and I can hunt over water and not worry about loosing ducks.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:

I was looking for a pointing dog of some sort for upland that could also do a bit of waterfowl retrieving. A GSP or GWP or a number of other dogs would also fit that bill. I picked a Brittany, honestly, initially for their size. Good midsize dog, not some large monster, could get in and out a mid-sized dog door, etc. Also, at the time, the majority of award winners with the Calgary pointing dog club seemed to be Brittany's.

I've since learned that they are extremely affectionate and loving. Mine almost never barks, has never bitten anyone, doesn't get into scraps with other dogs. He's game to go into the water and retrieve waterfowl but won't do it when it's really cold. He doesn't have the lab's double coat. He is old now but use to run everywhere. Lots of energy requiring lots of walks, preferably off leash. He'll happily go for an hour walk in minus -35. They are beautiful loving dogs, but need a lot of walking and attention. They don't like to be left alone a lot. Mine is relatively "soft", but has somehow picked up a lot of things without me purposely training him. I can leave a steak on a plate on a coffee table with him looking at it. I come back and it's still there. Stuff like that.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:43 AM

All the GSP's I've been around shed like crazy, great hunting and family dogs if given the appropriate exercise though.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:52 PM

Smile A bit about Versatile dogs

Way back in the 1800's before income tax, European aristocrats took on the breeding of a dog that would do it all. Point, retrieve and swim. They have come up with 33 recognized breeds, and all of them can do what they were designed for. The GSP is the most popular there are about 80,000 in North America. All but one of the breeds can be "shown" in CKC/AKC dog shows.

There is more variation within a breed than between breeds, I think the show business is the cause but it may be other things.

These dogs were designed to have high energy and they do, if that is not going to suit you this is not the group to choose from.

If you like what you have heard so far pick what ever you like and teach it NOT to jump up on any one especially your kids.

Join a club and have fun.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=roosta;3612092]

I have one. 6.5yo male. He's a runt at 55lbs, but is an absolutely awesome dog. Not a mean bone in him, easy to train etc.
Had shoulder surgery when he was 3, blew a ligament; fully recovered. Vet says he looks like a 3 year old.

Exercise – Once per day OFF leash for an hour will be ok, unless you expect him to be a pro dog for a guide.
He loves biking or roading if available to you. He can run a steady 30km/hr next to a quad for 30 mins straight. Anytime you touch a bike or quad he's squirming just ready to blast.
Ball sprints with a chuck it are great exercise too.
Unless you're a pro marathon runner (and doing daily half marathons lol), there's almost no point to 'exercising' them on leash other than to smell fresh air.

Cold weather – My guy is fine in the cold. Not keen on water retrieves below 10C. Will put a jacket on him the rare day I hunt in -20C. -10 is totally good by him so long as you're moving. Just don't expect one to lay down and roll in the snow like a lab.

I plan to install a dog flap - thought about it, but never bothered. Just run trained him to use the run so my yard wasn't disgusting.

I read they don’t shed too much, is that true? - Wrong! They shed alright, you just don't get tumbleweed hair balls like a golden retriever. Can usually just brush the hair off your clothes with your hands if you get covered.

When you have to leave them home alone, do you crate them or are they ok to roam the house?
-Was kenneled for the first 3 years of his life when we were out. Any time we'd give him a chance after the first day he'd make you regret it. (half of the wife's DVD collection for example!)
Old 08-29-2017, 03:13 PM

My dog was about six months when I started leaving him out of the crate when nobody was home. It was only for 30 minutes max or so at first, but now we have no fears being gone to the city for 6-8 hours. So far the only victim has been a few papers that he shredded, and a couple of pens left on the table. No damage to clothes, furniture or anything else ever, and he is 19 months now. My dog is on the larger size at 82lbs.

Exercise wise, he gets his off leash run every day, rain or shine, hot or cold, it doesn't matter.

The biggest issue was the first few weeks where I was getting up twice per night to let him out to do his business for the first week, and then once per night for another two weeks. After four weeks, he was house trained.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:07 PM

Thank you again for such valuable information. It shines through that special bond between a man and his dog, in particular a hunting dog.

Appreciate the thoughts on a Brittany, I am looking more into that breed as well but would be hard pressed to change. Their nature sounds much the same as a GSP, only they are smaller as mentioned and maybe a little better for the cold.
Had some more info on the shedding and will be grooming once a week to limit it.

robson3954, what do you mean by 'run trained him'? Is that simply that he learnt to toilet daily when you run him?

I'm planning a home camera so can keep tabs on him the first few times he is left to his own devices. I will try limit this but it is inevitable that at some point it will happen.

Hope to have my new girl next spring! Winter is going to feel very long indeed...
Old 08-29-2017, 08:51 PM

I got a GSP from Bevans Pointers by Drumheller last year. What an absolutely great dog. I did a lot of research prior to getting her and kept an eye on that breeder for a couple of years and finally decided to get one last spring, and boy did we get a good dog in the deal.
Definitely shoot for AT LEAST 1 hour of exercise, and running is key. Mine can easily run over 10-15kms (always in front) of the quad, I also do walks off leash but I live in Northern Alberta where she can run in the bush, I walk 5 kms she easily runs double the distance in and out of the bush. Prey drive is very high as I'm sure you know, cats, squirrels anything that moves really. Also known to be a wanderlust, very true with mine she will follow her nose anywhere she can. The natural instinct is incredible, mine is not field trained, but boy can she find the grouse, the trouble is keeping her from not chasing, but that can be taught.
Shedding, she definitely sheds. Fine white and brown short hairs will stick in every piece of clothing and all over vehicle seats. Cleaning up after her is such a small price to pay for what a great dog she is. I bring her everywhere with me, travelling also always in the cab of the truck if not in the summer as she does not do extremely well in the cold, so that said we do put a sweater on her in the cold weather. She already shivers in 10-15 degree weather but that said still loves to be outside. Her paws did blister a bit last winter, booties probably wouldn't hurt.
We started with her in the kennel when we are not around and she was always fine. We recently have started leaving her roam the house if we need to leave her behind for short periods and she is fine. The first few times as a younger pup she was definitely mischievous. Never an accident in the house after trained, but chewing on random items from separation anxiety which like I said has gotten better at 18 months. Seperation anxiety is known in the GSP. We leave her in the yard in the summer and she stays in the yard with no fence, she was trained with a sport dog in ground fence, she no longer requires the collar she knows her boundary. Also be prepared for whining. Seems to be quite common in the breed upon research. She can run for hours and still whine for more. Also be prepared for a giant lap dog. Mine is around 60 pounds but she tries to ride the lawn mower with me when I'm cutting grass, and will still try to sit on the lap in the truck given the opportunity. She was raised around kids, and has never growled or nipped at any child. She no longer jumps on kids when greeting them although she did knock a few over as a pup out of excitement. She will bark at somebody if they enter the yard, until greeted and she always becomes friendly.
All in all easily the best decision that we made getting her. Expecting a child by the end of the year and I don't worry at all what she will do with the kid, she's been around them since day one.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:26 PM

If you want a dog that does a little better in cold weather or for colder water, consider a Drahthaar or GWP. They have a little longer hair, and mine plays outside at -30. The coat is fairly hard, so their don't pick up many burrs in spite of having a little longer hair. It is rare for my dog to bark, but they do whine. Regardless of what breed you choose, take your time in choosing a breeder, as starting with good bloodlines increases the odds of getting a good dog. Expose your dog to birds early, and try to give them a lot of exposure to birds, as that is how they learn to work birds.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:27 PM

GSPs seem to come with two types of coats. One fine like velvet and one with slightly longer and harder hair. The velvety coat seems to allow more injury from brush and briars, but none of this will slow down a GSP with hunting drive. I would pick the one with harder hair and I would avoid one with any pink or light foot leather.

I have found that GSPs do not like rain unless you go into the rain with them.

I no longer have a GSP but still have a soft spot for them, but the truth is that I could love any of the versatile breeds.

More important than the breed is the breeder.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:35 PM

Noted and thank you. Couple other dog breeders to consider from the posts. Don't mind a lap dog but will try train it out.
Time to get a training book and start reading up!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:06 AM

I'll chime in with another suggestion. English cocker spaniel. I spent a good couple of months researching different dog breeds that would be good family companions and a hunting partner. They are the smallest of the hunting breeds. They're temperament is super gentle. And they can't get enough of you. Mine has been amazing with kids. When we're in the house he can't get enough cuddles. When we're outside his nose is to the ground the whole time. I got him last September and we did live game training for the first time a few weeks ago. We've been training all year and to see him in action was pretty awesome. Super smart. Loyal. Easy to train. Perfect size for the shotgun seat. Highly recommended.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you again for such valuable information. It shines through that special bond between a man and his dog, in particular a hunting dog.

Appreciate the thoughts on a Brittany, I am looking more into that breed as well but would be hard pressed to change. Their nature sounds much the same as a GSP, only they are smaller as mentioned and maybe a little better for the cold.
Had some more info on the shedding and will be grooming once a week to limit it.

robson3954, what do you mean by 'run trained him'? Is that simply that he learnt to toilet daily when you run him?

I'm planning a home camera so can keep tabs on him the first few times he is left to his own devices. I will try limit this but it is inevitable that at some point it will happen.

Hope to have my new girl next spring! Winter is going to feel very long indeed...

Yes; I open the back door and he goes and does his business beside the house on gravel. Easy to clean/wash. I'll it with spray bleach or chlorine every couple weeks in the summer to keep the smell down.