Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 12:44 PM

Default Looking for Grouse/Pheasant Wings

Hello all

So to be completely honest, I'm new to upland hunting, and hunting in general so if this is a stupid question feel free to move it or remove it. But I'm looking for some grouse/pheasant wings or feathers to help train my Brittany (1.5 yrs old). I'd love to get out this fall but not sure if she ready for the real thing just yet as we've only been using dummy's and scent from the local hunting store. I'd like to get her more used to the "real" thing prior to taking her out. Perhaps a real hunt wouldn't hurt her but after reading The Wildrose Way I feel like I've got a ton of work to do before we get to that stage (hunting/retrieving is fine but tends to get a bit far away and hasn't been introduced to full shotgun sound yet, just blanks/caps)...but I digress.

To cut to the chase, does anyone know where one would find either of these items? I'm in Red Deer but would be more than willing to buy some off someone and have them shipped.
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:21 PM

Pretty sure there is a bunch of hunters in Red Deer who can hook you up. Majority tosses them to the garbage anyway. If no one comes through though, you can just go and shoot a few yourself in a few days. No? A dog is not mandatory for upland hunting. I would take you out, but I am long ways from Red Deer.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM

Ya, I would be surprised if no hunter would give you some feathers. And if all else fails, like the last guy said, just go trekking on some back roads and bags some birds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk