Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-11-2016, 03:27 PM

Default Bow Upgrade Questions

So after having a break out first archery season. I've decided to do a few upgrades to my bow, specifically sight and arrow rest. I'm leaning towards a 5 pin sight and a drop away rest. I've been doing a lot of research as I always do but would really like opinions from the pros around here.

For a rest I'm thinking a QAD ultra HDX and for a 5 pin sight I like the Trophy Ridge React 5 pin.

I'm looking for pros and cons. Or recommendations. I want to buy a good rest and sight that I can use and then put onto my next bow whenever I decide to up grade that as well.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:47 PM

I would recommend the Spot Hogg 5 pin over the trophy ridge. They are all metal and hard to break. Love my Spot Hogg. I've heard lots of good things about the quad ultrarests but haven't tried one myself. I'm currently using a limb driven apa twister , for hunting, which has proven to be a very accurate rest. Only downside is you have to feed the arrow through the rest instead of the side like most popular rests. Upside is you don't have to "reset" the rest when you let down on an arrow. I don't think you have to reset the quad rests either in that situation. Good luck on the upgrades.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I would recommend the Spot Hogg 5 pin over the trophy ridge. They are all metal and hard to break. Love my Spot Hogg. I've heard lots of good things about the quad ultrarests but haven't tried one myself. I'm currently using a limb driven apa twister , for hunting, which has proven to be a very accurate rest. Only downside is you have to feed the arrow through the rest instead of the side like most popular rests. Upside is you don't have to "reset" the rest when you let down on an arrow. I don't think you have to reset the quad rests either in that situation. Good luck on the upgrades.
I used to shoot spot hoggs exclusively for the past 5 years as they were completely bomb proof but i found the individual pin micro adjust to be a pain to get dialed in. Got talked into a montana black gold on my most current rig and so far so good. Axcel armortech and sword are also really good brands or hha if you want a single pin.

As for rests i had 3 ripcords all three and all three failed, one was fresh out ofnthe box. Qad are awesome from my research but i have no forst hand experience. I actally swore off drop aways and went to a micro adjust whisker biscuit but got talked into a limb driven hamskea rest. I like it so far but the only rhing i dont like about it is the arrow bounces around in the containment cage although it is covered in rubber so sound isnt an issue. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2016, 06:14 PM

I like the spott hog sights as well. I hear lots of good things about them.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Spot hogg multi pin sights for sure, hamskea hunter hybrid rest. Go limb driven. Way less to go wrong, easier to see when a potential problem arises, super easy to set up.

Norm

Last edited by normanrd; 12-11-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Spot hogg multi pin sights for sure, hamskea hunter my hybrid rest. Go limb driven. Way less to go wrong, easier to see when a potential problem arises, super easy to set up.

Norm
^^^^*

This 100%

LC
Old 12-11-2016, 08:06 PM

I have been very happy with my iQ sight and quad rest. I found spot hogs too heavy although they are as bullet proof as you will, find with a high end sight.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:16 PM

I've been using the hbx since it came out and can't find anything that I think is significantly better. I also used the spot Hogg sights and although they were good, I've upgraded to the armor tech by axcell. Their vertical micro adjust on the pins are improved over the spott Hogg system and the axcel is half the weight of the spot Hogg . I don't think you will be happy with the react pro soght the micro adjust system is an older poor design
Old 12-11-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
I've been using the hbx since it came out and can't find anything that I think is significantly better. I also used the spot Hogg sights and although they were good, I've upgraded to the armor tech by axcell. Their vertical micro adjust on the pins are improved over the spott Hogg system and the axcel is half the weight of the spot Hogg . I don't think you will be happy with the react pro soght the micro adjust system is an older poor design
Axcel pins are not nearly as durable...one thing to be careful of.

LC
Old 12-11-2016, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming.

I forgot to add that I want to upgrade my stabilizer as well. I was looking at the bee stinger. I don't know much about them yet though. How do you pick a length? I am using my bow for hunting.

Who sells Hams Hamskea hybrid rest in Edmonton? I want to check them out. They look very interesting.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post

I forgot to add that I want to upgrade my stabilizer as well. I was looking at the bee stinger. I don't know much about them yet though. How do you pick a length? I am using my bow for hunting.

Who sells Hams Hamskea hybrid rest in Edmonton? I want to check them out. They look very interesting.
Jim-Bows does, the Bee Stinger 8/6 or 10/8 is tough to beat for a hunting stab system.

LC
Old 12-11-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:

I have gone with a dead center archery stab ( 10 inch)and side bar (8 inch)system and have been extremely happy although maybe a little big for some guys I chased elk this year with it in some pretty deep crap with no problems. A balanced bow makes shooting accurately so much easier.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Jim-Bows does, the Bee Stinger 8/6 or 10/8 is tough to beat for a hunting stab system.

LC
X2. Jimbows has the hamskea in Stock, I'm pretty sure I seen them today. I use the bee stinger 8.6 system on my hunting bows the 10.8 runs the risk of being too long to qualify for "hunter class" shoots once you put weights on.

Norm
Old 12-11-2016, 10:43 PM

I was looking at the spott hog sights. There's the hunter @ 8.3 Oz, the real deal @ 7.8 Oz and the right on @ 7.3 Oz.

Now my next question. How much does that 1 Oz difference actually do?
Old 12-11-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I was looking at the spott hog sights. There's the hunter @ 8.3 Oz, the real deal @ 7.8 Oz and the right on @ 7.3 Oz.

Now my next question. How much does that 1 Oz difference actually do?
The Hogg-It should be a strong consideration. Or a Tommy Hogg with a 5 pin housing.

LC
Old 12-11-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The Hogg-It should be a strong consideration. Or a Tommy Hogg with a 5 pin housing.

LC
OK the hogg it comes in at 10.5 Oz. How does that 3 oz affect the balance of the bow?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
OK the hogg it comes in at 10.5 Oz. How does that 3 oz affect the balance of the bow?
Every bow is different, too difficult a question to answer.

LC
Old 12-12-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
If you want spot hogg the hoggit is the way to go. Ive owned 3 in the past. On the other hand if you want something that will double as a boat anchor there is always the multi pin hogg father.

I didnt notice any balence issues on mine

Ive been giving the b stinger 10.8 system a real hard look since it came out but at $300 its pretty expensive and im pretty leary, which is completely out of character for me. If your worried about balence tbis might be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 04:40 AM

Best thing i ever did was get rid of the spott hogg sight i now use it as a boat anchor thing was heavy heavy every once countd when your packing a bow in the mountains or foothills and it was a pain to adjust!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
Best thing i ever did was get rid of the spott hogg sight i now use it as a boat anchor thing was heavy heavy every once countd when your packing a bow in the mountains or foothills and it was a pain to adjust!
After getting rid of your spott hog, what did you end up with?
Old 12-12-2016, 07:35 AM

The good news is if you use a Hogg Father for target, you don't need to load your front bar up with weights

I like the Tommy Hogg for a hunting bow or the Fast Eddie XL.

LC
Old 12-20-2016, 10:27 AM

I have a friend with spot Hoggs on two of his bows. I have shot with him several times where the pins have come loose and moved. He has wasted more time trying to get his sight figured out than I care to mention. Spot Hogg has been great service for him but I'd rather have a bulletproof sight that doesn't require phenomenal customer service. I use Hha single pin and Cbe two hybrid 5 pin. Both have been good but I lean towards the single pin hha lately.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

I have one of the original React sights and I like it. Now they have a few different variants, that are as much metal as pretty much anything else. I don't think it's a bad choice by any means. I would put one back on my bow at any time.
I am looking at the CBE or the IQ sights for my next bow.

For an arrow rest, I have been thinking about a drop away but I keep thinking that I want less mechanical parts and keep thinking of staying with a whisker biscuit. They just plain work, although they do take away a few feet per second on your velocity. I'm still undecided.
For my stabilizer, I bought it before I knew much about archery but I have the NAP Apache. I have tried a couple others since then but always put the Apache back on. I'm sure it's mostly because I'm familiar with it but I have looked at the B Stingers.

Either way you look at it, you seem to be well on your way to setting up a nice bow.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino View Post
I have a friend with spot Hoggs on two of his bows. I have shot with him several times where the pins have come loose and moved. He has wasted more time trying to get his sight figured out than I care to mention. Spot Hogg has been great service for him but I'd rather have a bulletproof sight that doesn't require phenomenal customer service. I use Hha single pin and Cbe two hybrid 5 pin. Both have been good but I lean towards the single pin hha lately.
That's very surprising! I have had at least 5 different sights and housings and never had them budge.

LC
Old 12-28-2016, 08:41 AM

The Montana Black gold are tough to beat .
Old 12-28-2016, 09:50 PM

Default Spot Hogg

I vote for the spot Hogg, I've had both the IQ and the spot Hogg and prefer the durability and toughness of the Hogg.