Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 AM

Default Radio Collared Whitetail

Well I went out tonight at 4pm and sat until 7 before this whitetail came past me at 15 yards put an arrow through her and she made it 30 yards before piling up. When I got up to her she had a radio collar on her. The radio collar is on her for a study the alberta gov't is doing for the CWD testing, They are collaring randomly so they can try to monitor how far the individual deer travel to see the travel patterns of deer. SO far the furthest one that they have had has travelled 50 km in one night and she has never came back to where she was tagged. They have had some deer travel from Chauvin area to Unity Sask and back and forth 3-4 times in a year

There is no problem in shooting these with the collars, they went from white collars to brown so that people would not be worried in shooting them. This is the second one we have shot. We shot one 2 years ago and had a fit when we approached her. Took her into the Fish and Wildlife and they just said thanks for turning in the collar.

Here are a couple pictures of her

If Any of you end up getting one please turn the collar into the fish and wildlife asap, could end up saving alot explaining when they track it to your shed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitetail bowkill 08002.JPG (83.5 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg whitetail bowkill 08003.JPG (92.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg whitetail bowkill 08009.JPG (96.2 KB, 255 views)
Old 10-09-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
Well I went out tonight at 4pm and sat until 7 before this whitetail came past me at 15 yards put an arrow through her and she made it 30 yards before piling up. When I got up to her she had a radio collar on her. The radio collar is on her for a study the alberta gov't is doing for the CWD testing, They are collaring randomly so they can try to monitor how far the individual deer travel to see the travel patterns of deer. SO far the furthest one that they have had has travelled 50 km in one night and she has never came back to where she was tagged. They have had some deer travel from Chauvin area to Unity Sask and back and forth 3-4 times in a year

There is no problem in shooting these with the collars, they went from white collars to brown so that people would not be worried in shooting them. This is the second one we have shot. We shot one 2 years ago and had a fit when we approached her. Took her into the Fish and Wildlife and they just said thanks for turning in the collar.

Here are a couple pictures of her

If Any of you end up getting one please turn the collar into the fish and wildlife asap, could end up saving alot explaining when they track it to your shed
Wow congrats on the doe. Youve had some good luck the past couple weeks.

Now could you emagine fish cops knock knock knock uh you have a deer in your house, yes sir , he was wearing this perdy necklace so I thought it came with the deer.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 AM
Albertahog

Thumbs up Collar

DAMMM that is a real nice size doe if you cant fit all of her in your freezer maybe i can help jk.thank's for shareing the story and the pic's i have yet to ever see a collar on a deer in the wilds maybe someday.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:37 AM

I saw one with a collar in the field north of my place in the spring....
Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 AM

Interesting distance travelling facts. I'd love to have access to data like that. Does F&W publish it to the public?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Interesting distance travelling facts. I'd love to have access to data like that. Does F&W publish it to the public?
They give it to that landowners that let them on their land to track them. not sure if it is available to everyone tho. It is the university of alberta doing the study. the students live 1 mile south of me so going to take collar to them. If you can find a # for margo phyphus or something like that she is head bioligist that is over seeing things i do beleive, but i could be wrong.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Wow congrats on the doe. Youve had some good luck the past couple weeks.

Now could you emagine fish cops knock knock knock uh you have a deer in your house, yes sir , he was wearing this perdy necklace so I thought it came with the deer.
yeah I have been way to lucky with the bow this year. This is the 3rd whitetail I have put on the ground so far, my buck and two does. I guess it helps to have access to 12 diff stands and blinds to pick and choose
Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM

We shot a whitetail buck umpteen years ago at Sounding Lake that was tagged near Saskatoon only 2 months before....
Old 10-09-2008, 11:43 AM

Default Deer research

The deer movement study is being done by the U of A and I am sure you can find the info on their web site. I get a news letter (deer tracks) about the program every once in a while and it has a summary of the data. Lots of important info is coming from the program including survival rates (hunter, road, and predator kills) so make sure you can provide as much info as possible.

I got to see a presentation of the data and it was amazing how much or how little some deer move.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:59 AM

Default Project Website

This is the project webiste

http://ursus.biology.ualberta.ca/bds/index.htm