Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Default How To Hunt Monster Whiteys!!!!

I am hunting 2 monster whiteys,I could not pattern them at all during Sept.
They would come out in differnt areas all the time,sometimes by them selves
and other times with 3 other small bucks.

Now in Oct what should i be tring.They are pretty much nocturnal now but they still come out right at dark.How do i hunt these jokers.They are both
well over 170" the one going well over 180 for sure.The one is the son of the one that my buddy shot last year that went 207 nt

What dou you guys think about scrape lines and rub lines.Have any of you had any luck hanging a stand near or over a scrape.If you have; what time of day should a guy be sitting in a stand over a scrape.

Im thinking the only way to get a crack at one of these monsters is to go in the bush now.Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 10-05-2008, 07:48 PM

Thumbs up wow

GESS I WISH I COULD GIVE YOUSOME GOOD ADVISE BUT THOES ARE MONSTERS UST STICK TO YOUR GUNS YOY WILL GET THEM ITS STILL EARLY BUT MAYBE THEY MIGHT RESPOND TO SOME SENTS ALL I GOT TO SAY IS GOOD LUCK
Old 10-05-2008, 07:50 PM

he y Bit,

have you tried using a trail cam to see if they are using a single trail back in the bush? we've had good succes with cameras. sure enough the biggest bucks in the area were passing some trail in the middle of the day all year round! the rest is just picking the right trail and the right time. good luck with your hawgs!!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:55 PM

I would find out were he beds and find his scrape and rub line leading to and from the bedding grounds. Put up a tree stand and be there well before daylight.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:13 PM

That's awesome Bit! At least you're onto them.

I am NOT an expert. Hell I've only been bowhunting a few seasons now and have never taken a whitey with a bow.

With that being said, I have a story from last season that may help...........

I'm not much of a techno/gadget/latest trend guy. Last season, when my partner produced a vial of doe-in-estrus urine, I thought, "whatever". I ignored it, but he sprinkled some on his boot. For some reason, it took us a couple of days out in the tree stands to figure out why the bucks were tracking into his stand, stopping at the base of the tree and looking straight up! I never said we were that bright!

What ya gotta do is soak the included pad and trail it behind you on a string (just like the instructions said............ umm, er, hush!) and then leave the pad in a shooting lane. It works.

If you're bucks are going nocturnal, I'd try this during the rut, but go in hours before sunrise (have your route plotted), lay out a huge trail that leads to your stand and be ready at least an hour before shooting light. You just never know.

Good luck, and let us know how it all works out.

Tree
Old 10-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Cool whiteys

If you've been hunting that area hard back off and don't go for a week or more-it'll near 'bout kill you to do it but do it anyway. Then when you do hunt, do it sparingly, don't wear out the area. I think that's why they have "gone nocturnal" If you use scents make sure they match what's going on. Doe in heat scent doesn't make sense if the does aren't actually in heat. Better still might be no scent at all.

While you take the one or two weeks off bone up on your scent free system. Make sure you store your hunting clothes outside, maybe through a rainstorm and some nice bright sunlight to really air them out natures way. If you were hunting from a treestand try some other way like a ground blind/pitblind etc, something to really surprise them. Try finding a different way to access the area to avoid tipping them off. It may be that while you were patterning them they actually patterened you.

If all else fails pm me and I'll go shoot one for you

have fun
Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
If you've been hunting that area hard back off and don't go for a week or more-it'll near 'bout kill you to do it but do it anyway. Then when you do hunt, do it sparingly, don't wear out the area. I think that's why they have "gone nocturnal" If you use scents make sure they match what's going on. Doe in heat scent doesn't make sense if the does aren't actually in heat. Better still might be no scent at all.

While you take the one or two weeks off bone up on your scent free system. Make sure you store your hunting clothes outside, maybe through a rainstorm and some nice bright sunlight to really air them out natures way. If you were hunting from a treestand try some other way like a ground blind/pitblind etc, something to really surprise them. Try finding a different way to access the area to avoid tipping them off. It may be that while you were patterning them they actually patterened you.

If all else fails pm me and I'll go shoot one for you

have fun
What do you think about scrapes.I cant believe those two big bucks are still running together either.Im thinking any day they will seperate
Old 10-05-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I would find out were he beds and find his scrape and rub line leading to and from the bedding grounds. Put up a tree stand and be there well before daylight.
I think thats a great idea.I think thats the only way to get them now or wait till the rut kicks in.They are just too dam smart.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM

I would try to narrow down the exact bush patch/swamp they come from a before they start spreading out on various trails. That way you have a better spot to ambush. Scent control wind, noise, etc (basically every whitetail aritcle in every hunting magazine ever) will help.

From my experience, don't over hunt and only hunt when the conditions are perfect. Rainy days might be your best bet because big bucks move in the rain and your tracks will be convered.

Since you have good buck numbers, rattling may work effectively as well.

I'd try to get him in October during pre-rut, once the rut kicks in he might start cruising in search of other does.

Good luck, wish it was me.

Last edited by BigRackLover; 10-06-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 AM

I wouldn't be waiting for the rut. Nothing worse then scouting a deer and then have someone shoot him out the window of a truck chasing a doe across a field. Once the rut hits one or both of those deer will be moving and it will a crap shoot.

They should be getting really tried of each others company very soon. They will split up but will still be in the imediate area. I would think this would be your best chance as they will be concerned about the other finding the first hot does of the season.

I wish I had this problem of yours-been only able to get those 180 class in my dreams.

Good luck and do keep us posted,
MK
Old 10-06-2008, 11:22 AM

its getting close when you can start tickling the antlers together and blowing the odd grunt
Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM

First thing I would do if I was you, I would call Albertabowhunter up and tell him to come help you with you problem.... take him out there and put him in a stand and that way the both of you could cover more trails than just you alone.

Move your stands further into the bush, I'm sure they are holding up back further, waiting for the light to drop.... other wise try to figure there travel area(s) and try to get in there in the morning and catch them on the way back to there beds...... Good luck, but I think the first idea is the best solution....
Old 10-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
First thing I would do if I was you, I would call Albertabowhunter up and tell him to come help you with you problem.... take him out there and put him in a stand and that way the both of you could cover more trails than just you alone.

Move your stands further into the bush, I'm sure they are holding up back further, waiting for the light to drop.... other wise try to figure there travel area(s) and try to get in there in the morning and catch them on the way back to there beds...... Good luck, but I think the first idea is the best solution....
First Of all thank you to all that responded with the great ideas and i hope
i got some pics to post my nov1 with my hands around his horns,either one but the smaller one is the one i want.He has 2 main beams on the same side with the biggest mass i have ever seen on a wild deer.His right beam will score 100" im betting.

Well alberta bowhunter i would say come on down and sit in my stand but you know the story of what happened to me last year about being a nice guy.
It cost me a 207 3/8 nt.The first night i didnt sit in my stand and i let my buddy sit in it and you know what happens every time,so ill have to pass on that.If i dont get him by nov1 some lucky road hunter is going to hammer him.
Ill keep you posted but its tough to sit in the stand when your chasing iron around alberta,Dam rigs.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
First Of all thank you to all that responded with the great ideas and i hope
i got some pics to post my nov1 with my hands around his horns,either one but the smaller one is the one i want.He has 2 main beams on the same side with the biggest mass i have ever seen on a wild deer.His right beam will score 100" im betting.

Well alberta bowhunter i would say come on down and sit in my stand but you know the story of what happened to me last year about being a nice guy.
It cost me a 207 3/8 nt.The first night i didnt sit in my stand and i let my buddy sit in it and you know what happens every time,so ill have to pass on that.If i dont get him by nov1 some lucky road hunter is going to hammer him.
Ill keep you posted but its tough to sit in the stand when your chasing iron around alberta,Dam rigs.
I hear you on that, same things happened to me a couple times, not quite so big...but always seems to be the night the decent one shows....
Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 PM

You said "they are coming out at dark" i assume to a field I found that the real big boys like to "stage" back in the bush about 80 yds or so and won't come out to feed evenb though the does and smaller bucks will be out well before dark I saw this first hand a few years back Does and small bucks hit the fields a good 30 minutes before dark I had a tree stand at two intersecting trails just off a real small natural clearing ( size of a living room) a good 80 yds back of field in heavy bush Does and small bucks passed thru and then about 10 minutes to dark a monster 6x6 that would score high 180's comes down trail What does he do? beds down just out of bow range in plain view He was waiting till dark I had wind in my favor and had had other animals pass by unalarmed just minutes before I actually had to climb down at dark and sneak out Next day looking at his tracks in snow he eventually got up and had walked right by my stand So i would back track where he is coming out about 80 yds and look for the right ambush tree in their staging area I'm partial to small natural clearings if they are on the trail and about the right distance back in bush but that just might be my superstition
By way i have seen several big bucks still traveling together at this time of year but the will start parting ways pretty soon

Good luck and send pics

Gord

Gord