Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2023, 05:25 PM

Default BOSS system on rifles

Dont know much about them. Dont see new stuff with them on them. Are they a gimmick? Pain in the butt? Came across a possible new toy with one on it.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:14 PM

Tuners work, but it can take a lot of ammunition to tune them, and if they come loose in the field, accuracy, and the point of impact can change. As well, Browning /Winchester rifles with the Boss system have shorter barrels, so less velocity. Finally, the Boss with brake, is extremely loud. I had a Browning rifle with Boss in 7mmremmag, and I will never own another Boss equipped rifle.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:24 PM

I remember when the Boss came out .
To do it right if using factory ammo, you woukd have to re- tune after every box.
If hand loading, you are going to work up a load , so why bother ?
I saw them as a real gimmick, especially on a hunting rifle.
They came in when the long range hunting accuracy fad was really starting to take off.
I discussed at length with a couple of industry reps I knew, and the consensus was MAYBE on a match rifle
( Winchester and BSA had a node tuning system in the 50's) but not on a hunting rifle.
Of course as of late barrel runersxare becoming very popular with the Fclass crowd and 22br guys, not sure if SBR has started using them on a regular basis.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-03-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:51 PM

They are loud, buddy shot a moose yesterday with Browning auto 300 win mag boss equipped nearly jumped out my boots.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:28 PM

I have 5 BOSS equipped rifles,Once you know how they work they work Very well.
Are they loud Yes but If you use the CR it is no louder than a regular rifle and just use it to tune the barrel.
I pick the bullet I want to use and the powder I want to use,Then drive that bullet as fast and hard as hard as I want and just tune the BOSS.
If you need any help Please let me know. If you decide not to buy the rifle please let me know also as I'm always looking for more of them for my collection...
Old 11-03-2023, 09:53 PM

They are ugly but the one rifle I had with it, it did seem to work OK. But if you reload it is hardly worth your time, easier to build a good load and leave the break at home.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I have 5 BOSS equipped rifles,Once you know how they work they work Very well.
Are they loud Yes but If you use the CR it is no louder than a regular rifle and just use it to tune the barrel.
I pick the bullet I want to use and the powder I want to use,Then drive that bullet as fast and hard as hard as I want and just tune the BOSS.
If you need any help Please let me know. If you decide not to buy the rifle please let me know also as I'm always looking for more of them for my collection...
Thats amazing.

Always thought the boss was just a brake u could turn on or off
Old 11-04-2023, 10:15 AM

The Browning BAR I had with the BOSS was easy to tune, once you had your bullets tuned in just stay with the same load, you use less ammo doing that than trying 10 different factory loads to find one that works best in your rifle. And then when a shortage comes and you can no longer find the load you've been using it's a simple matter to tune in the barrel for one you can buy here in Canada.

People that worry about a little noise should use ear plugs, all firearms make noise.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
The Browning BAR I had with the BOSS was easy to tune, once you had your bullets tuned in just stay with the same load, you use less ammo doing that than trying 10 different factory loads to find one that works best in your rifle. And then when a shortage comes and you can no longer find the load you've been using it's a simple matter to tune in the barrel for one you can buy here in Canada.

People that worry about a little noise should use ear plugs, all firearms make noise.
I tested several loads with the BOSS system, more experimental than anything else, and some did far better than others, even after tuning. Just to find and tune the load in my rifle, took me at least as many rounds as developing a good handload for my rifles with no BOSS. The BOSS does allow you to get the best out of a certain load, but to find the best load in your rifle still requires testing multiple loads.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I tested several loads with the BOSS system, more experimental than anything else, and some did far better than others, even after tuning. Just to find and tune the load in my rifle, took me at least as many rounds as developing a good handload for my rifles with no BOSS. The BOSS does allow you to get the best out of a certain load, but to find the best load in your rifle still requires testing multiple loads.
Not if you start with Hornady factory loads......
Old 11-05-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Not if you start with Hornady factory loads......
You can always get lucky, sometimes the very first handload that I try is the best, but I prefer not to depend on luck. There is nothing magic about Hornady handloads.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:59 PM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.
Default Boss System Works

Had a Browning Eclipse in 200WM with a boss brake/tuner on it. Using 180 and 150 grains, once I found the right setting the rifle would shoot either round with great accuracy, just had to turn it for the ammo you were shooting….and it was loud. I was impressed with the accuracy for the time I owned the rifle.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
They are loud, buddy shot a moose yesterday with Browning auto 300 win mag boss equipped nearly jumped out my boots.
is it as loud as this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKM...el=BebiForEver
Old 11-05-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
Very load, BUT, they sold a quiet Boss that replaced the muzzle brake style and had the same weight without the holes in it.
It was very simple to tune into a load and didn't take more than an a few groups to find the sweet spot.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:49 PM

The loudest most obnoxious piece of crap ever made. Had one once. Once is the key word.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
The loudest most obnoxious piece of crap ever made. Had one once. Once is the key word.
Had one also but I replaced it with the Quiet Boss.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:31 PM

BOSS stands for Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System
The muzzle break is part of the"system"
The CR stand for Conventional Recoil It has no holes in it just the tuning weight.
If you don't want the advantage or disadvantage of the muzzle break you just remove it and put the CR on.
Not sure how the BOSS muzzle break can be any louder than any other.
How the system works is by tuning your barrel so your bullet leaves the barrel in the middle of the harmonic wave the "Sweet spot"
All I do to tune the barrel is refer to the manual for the suggested Sweet Spot fire 3 shots the turn the adjustment ring either 3 numbers higher shoot again if groups getting smaller adjust a couple more up till I'm happy with the groups.
If going up doesn't work then go down on the numbers of the adjustment ring till I'm happy with the groups.

Alberta Bigbore I hope this help to explain the "system"
Does the "system" work it absolutely does for those that understand or want to understand how it works.

Any other question please just ask.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
BOSS stands for Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System
The muzzle break is part of the"system"
The CR stand for Conventional Recoil It has no holes in it just the tuning weight.
If you don't want the advantage or disadvantage of the muzzle break you just remove it and put the CR on.
Not sure how the BOSS muzzle break can be any louder than any other.
How the system works is by tuning your barrel so your bullet leaves the barrel in the middle of the harmonic wave the "Sweet spot"
All I do to tune the barrel is refer to the manual for the suggested Sweet Spot fire 3 shots the turn the adjustment ring either 3 numbers higher shoot again if groups getting smaller adjust a couple more up till I'm happy with the groups.
If going up doesn't work then go down on the numbers of the adjustment ring till I'm happy with the groups.

Alberta Bigbore I hope this help to explain the "system"
Does the "system" work it absolutely does for those that understand or want to understand how it works.

Any other question please just ask.
Definitely does, thank you.