Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-31-2019, 08:45 PM

Default Older Browning Medallion

I was lucky enough to find a Browning Medallion 243 from approximate 70s . What a beauty, it’s unfortunate that the $$ drive has moved to plastic stocks , metal that is not finished by hand etc . The artistic works of this style of firearm is certainly being lost . As a young teenage I remember drooling over some of the Browning Medallion and Olympians .
Old 07-31-2019, 10:36 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:57 PM

Default did you check

Removing the action to see if it is one of the nefarious salt cured stocks?
Old 08-01-2019, 06:13 AM

No it’s not. The short action calibers used the Sako actions
Old 08-01-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Removing the action to see if it is one of the nefarious salt cured stocks?
You know, I almost think that ‘salt cured’ business is a folk legend something like the Sasquatch. I’ll bet I’ve had twenty or more Belgian Browning’s pass through my collection over the years - FN actions of every series, SAKO actions, even one oddity with a small ring Mauser action - and I have yet to see one of those legendary ‘salt wood’ stocks, nor have I seen a salt damaged barrel or action. I still have a half dozen of those rifles today (including one FN-400 .30-06 BNIB), and none show any signs of salt.
Maybe I’ve just been lucky! I wonder how many ‘salty’ ones there actually were?
Old 08-01-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
You know, I almost think that ‘salt cured’ business is a folk legend something like the Sasquatch. I’ll bet I’ve had twenty or more Belgian Browning’s pass through my collection over the years - FN actions of every series, SAKO actions, even one oddity with a small ring Mauser action - and I have yet to see one of those legendary ‘salt wood’ stocks, nor have I seen a salt damaged barrel or action. I still have a half dozen of those rifles today (including one FN-400 .30-06 BNIB), and none show any signs of salt.
Maybe I’ve just been lucky! I wonder how many ‘salty’ ones there actually were?
I have worked on two that had salt wood and bought a Superposed that had salt wood ,
Cat
Old 08-01-2019, 07:28 AM

Awe yes,,, nothing like a quality chunk of fine looking wood to match the iron...

I lucked out finding a Left Hand BDL this spring...

She's a beauty...

It deserved becoming a rare one of a kind 6.5 A-square

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U6GtHpJeYUYcaqao6

I left the barrel in stainless steel as I'll do a cover wrap on it this fall for hunting season...

👍
Old 08-01-2019, 10:41 AM

Default salt stocks

And the dummies only used them on their Midas and high end rifles and shotguns as well.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:31 PM

The “salt cure “ stock problem is real. I have seen a variety of rust from minor to extremely severe pitting
Old 08-01-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Awe yes,,, nothing like a quality chunk of fine looking wood to match the iron...

I lucked out finding a Left Hand BDL this spring...

She's a beauty...

It deserved becoming a rare one of a kind 6.5 A-square

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U6GtHpJeYUYcaqao6

I left the barrel in stainless steel as I'll do a cover wrap on it this fall for hunting season...

��
that is a great looking rifle a beauty it is
Old 08-01-2019, 05:02 PM

I have seen a few salt wood cured stocks over the years, some nasty pitting below the wood line and butt plate screws that the threads were all but gone. But considering all the Browning's out there its not all that common. D.H.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:39 PM

Thank JDK,,, I always wanted another Remington 700 in wood to give me the old time feeling of my most favorite Remmy I owned 30 ish years ago...

I was blessed to have a limited edition Remington Classic in 300 Weatherby,,, I should of never sold that rifle,,,.a very rare unit fore sure... They didn't make very many of them back in that year,,,.only a handful of them made it to Canada... 1989/90 if I recall...

Actually I could of ordered a replacement to it since a few more series of it came out later... Ha

I think the word limited means that year... LOL

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=100653796

Any-who,,, I don't think I could handle one these days,,,.even my hot loaded 11 lb Remmy LR in 30/06 rattles my cage now days,,, I run soft loads in it now,,, 178gr ELD-M's at 2650 ft-per seconds,,, same speed as my 308 Winchester...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLf8wLhnGM54nzsF7

This is the most expensive chunk of wood and iron I have going,,, Cheery Wood inner with Birds Eye Maple along the sides,,, yes,,, the Palm Swell is large on this F Class Stock,,, but my big old Grizzly Bear paw fits it good... Ha,,, or should I say Moose Knuckle... It is a R Galloway design...

The old timer told me that Wood stocks accents the iron,,, there's something about it that catches the eye of the beholder,,, lots of others on this fourm have posted some photos of some might fine rifles over the years,,, dark grain,,, blond,,, Cheery,,, maple and many other types of plain old lumber turned into something spectacular...

I hate to say this,,, Mosbuerg has a $550 frugal rifle on the market right now,,, and the stocks on them look pretty good with the checkering grips cut into them...

One of our shooters in the East part of Alberta bought 1 in 6.5 Creed,,, it shot so good he went back and bought the other 3 they had... Ha...

If it looks as good as it shoots,,, then why-knott...

👍
Old 08-03-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have worked on two that had salt wood and bought a Superposed that had salt wood ,
Cat
Worked on a couple myself over the years..it's no myth..