Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-27-2019, 09:47 PM

Default Gunstores in Ft Mac?

Is there any gun or sporting stores in Ft Mac or even Lac La Biche? Is CDN Tire really the only spot?
I see there is a gunshow next month, but is that all there is?
Old 07-27-2019, 09:52 PM

I think they sell guns at the Honda dealer in laclabiche or they did...
Old 07-27-2019, 10:14 PM

The Canadian Tire Outdoor Store is all there is up here in Fort Mac. Expect to pay 20% more for a new firearm than you would in Edmonton. I thought it would be handy to have a decent outdoors store in town but they either don’t have what I’m looking for or it’s overpriced....
Old 07-27-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
The Canadian Tire Outdoor Store is all there is up here in Fort Mac. Expect to pay 20% more for a new firearm than you would in Edmonton. I thought it would be handy to have a decent outdoors store in town but they either don’t have what I’m looking for or it’s overpriced....
There was just a sale on... not sure when it ended. Sale price was significantly less than posted price but was still not as good as you could do. I like having the option and always nice to walk and look...
Old 07-27-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
There was just a sale on... not sure when it ended. Sale price was significantly less than posted price but was still not as good as you could do. I like having the option and always nice to walk and look...

It’s a real catch22...

Don’t buy locally and the store will go under like so many before it. But if you do buy the big ticket items like firearms you will be paying more than they are worth or can be had at almost any place down South. I checked out the latest sale prices and a Browning X-bolt stainless stalker was still a $100 more than I could buy one down south and have it shipped up here for.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Buy online and put there overpriced gun counter out of business. With the availability of online sales and shipping there no reason to support price gouging these days.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Buy online and put there overpriced gun counter out of business. With the availability of online sales and shipping there no reason to support price gouging these days.
And when you need some powder or primers, to work up a load, pay huge surcharges for shipping, and when you want to try a shotgun for fit, drive to Edmonton to shoulder it. There are advantages to having a local store, even if it means paying a bit more.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And when you need some powder or primers, to work up a load, pay huge surcharges for shipping, and when you want to try a shotgun for fit, drive to Edmonton to shoulder it. There are advantages to having a local store, even if it means paying a bit more.
Buy powder in bulk and split it with friends shipping cost comes way down you can get powder from Higgins for much cheaper than in store including shipping just takes a little planning. Same goes for primers don’t buy 200 buy 4000 and share the costs.

That Canadian tire doesn't have the best selection anyhow for being the only game in town.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I hear what you’re saying Elk and I’ve bought things from the CT Outdoor Store for just that reason. I was just as excited as anyone when they announced the store was opening. But, over the last couple years I’ve been continually disappointed with the selection in the store. To the point where most things I find I need are not in there anyways so I’ve learned I just need to plan ahead and order in what I need as opposed to thinking I can just drive down to the outdoor store and they’ll have it.

I grew up and spent most my life living in a small town on Vancouver Island. There were 2 sporting goods stores in town that wouldn’t take up the same floor space combined that the CT Outdoor Store has. You could count on them having just about anything you could ever need and over the years things they didn’t have but that were requested were ordered in and added to their inventory. CT is not run like that. They have a certain inventory and that’s it. Sure they can order in a certain firearm for you if they didn’t have it but you still wouldn’t get to try it for fit prior to ordering it and then you get the pleasure of paying a few hundred more for it than if you just ordered it yourself.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Buy powder in bulk and split it with friends shipping cost comes way down you can get powder from Higgins for much cheaper than in store including shipping just takes a little planning. Same goes for primers don’t buy 200 buy 4000 and share the costs.

That Canadian tire doesn't have the best selection anyhow for being the only game in town.
I am not talking about buying in volume ,once you have loads, I am talking buying a pound of powder to work up some loads for a rifle. And that doesn't address being able to check the fit of a shotgun.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about buying in volume ,once you have loads, I am talking buying a pound of powder to work up some loads for a rifle. And that doesn't address being able to check the fit of a shotgun.
Have you been to this Canadian tire outdoors store? The op isn’t posting looking for other store in ft Mac cause it’s well stocked where you can go in and fit all the brands shotguns.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:45 PM

I find the prices actually very comparable in Fort McMurray Canadian tire. Also have a good reloading section, even gun maintenance or tool kits. Good selection, better then cabelas anyways. But some guns at cabelas are over priced compared to p and d. They have a versa max in Fort McMurray for 13xx on sale. Lots of guns still on sale, if you do some research you can get great deals or a selection at that store there. Plus saves a drive to Edmonton or elsewhere.

Probably wouldn’t hurt someone opening their own store up there and make Canadian tire drop prices on other items they may have jacked up.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:55 PM

The prices there didn't seem all that bad to me. Was up visiting my son a couple of weeks ago. Found several guns there that were significantly less there than I've seen them here.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I think they sell guns at the Honda dealer in laclabiche or they did...
They still do!
Old 07-28-2019, 09:59 PM

Default Buy local

If people supported local shops they would move more product and be able to lower the prices. Everyone in Fort McMurray is in Edmonton every second weekend and they buy guns there to save $50. Then the local shops close, like the last 6 I have seen close in my time. Then folks are crying when they cant buy .22 ammo to sort out their semi auto diet issues, or need a 5 of diamonds to take the kids fishing. If your ok with the loss of being able to take that first new hunter or shooter to your local gun shop to stand in awe at all the could be rifles when they grow up, and handle the decoys, or actually try on a pair of boots for fittment, then keep supporting the big box and mail order places. Gun shops used to be educational institutes. Have you been into a Cabelas lately and asked for an experienced opinion or suggestion? Maybe Can tire isnt a mom and pop shop, but they took the risk.
I sure hope its here in a year, but i am doubtful.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:17 PM

I bought some 6.5 Creed brass and dues there fir comparable to what I would pay in Edmonton .
Not everyone goes to Edmonton , personally I stay well away from the city if I can.
As mentioned they have an excellent reloading section with stuff like Berger Bullets fir those so inclined .
Not just firearms either , they have a good camping and fishing section as well.
I for one am happy they are here.....
Cat
Old 07-29-2019, 01:58 AM

In 2001 Ct opened a store in Kenora Ont ,they had ever brand of rifle I ever seen anywhere in Canada.There were sako.sauers,Hk,you name it they had,they bought 2 million worth of rifles in one deal.If it wasn't on there shelf ,they got it for you.

Top optics,good outdoor clothing,way better than any store in all of Winnipeg.Plus the prices were decent and they moved on there price if you were a good customer.Was the best I ever seen and will never see it again.

Guys were coming from Winnipeg to shop,but the locals didn't understand how good they had it.New owners bought the store and ditched almost every thing,i bought the last few sako's and decent rifles.

Now those idiots that wouldn't support there local store have to drive to Winnipeg to cabelas for ever thing except maybe factory ammo .

Take care of your local stores and be darn happy it's there in every town that you live in.

I buy plenty from small gun shops in alberta an all over Canada even if it's a few bucks more, at least I now how in hell I am talking with.That's worth every dime in my books.

When whole sale sports was around I heard guys bitchen all the time ,now that there gone, look at what's left just the one big store keeping the prices high.

I have got about 800 in cabelas money and am I waiting for something on sale I need,but with being taken over out buy brass pro shop I am stayin away from there for the time being.I went to look for shoes the other day and the salvation army has better used ones,Not really,but ugly as boots and foot wear and even the guy told me to wait till they get there stuff all in line.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:24 PM

Ok, I will look for the Honda dealer in LLB then. Maybe try the CDN Tire this week too.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:40 AM

Even with the selection of stores and basement dealers we have, ya can't get everything ya want right away around here. I still have to go to the net to find stuff elsewhere. Nuthin's perfect.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:18 AM

Lots of guys that posted on this thread really do get it. Support your local stores or suffer in the long run.

This fascination we have in Canada with buying the lowest priced crap we can find is why almost everything is now made in China, and mom and pop stores have disappeared under the Walmart/Amazon/Cabelas onslaught. It is also why manufacturing is become nonexistent in North America.

This is only going to get worse as time goes by unless people wake up and realize that the cheapest price isn't the whole ball of string, price is only one component. Quality, service, advice and local jobs all disappear when we only think of ourselves. I doubt this will change before it is too late but the trend really annoys the heck out of me.

I was in P&D today, we are truly lucky to have such a great, well stocked store that has been great for many years. They also support the community and the shooting sports with their sponsorship dollars. You hear some people carping about them but it would really suck if they weren't here any more.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:25 AM

After years of the usual Canadian Tire/Walmart offerings, and particularly after Outdoor Essentials closed, the new CT Outdoors store is a fantastic improvement.
Some of their prices are high, but often that higher price indicates that it was recently brought in and the prices are always rising it seems. I notice the same thing at P&D.

They do have some decent sales quite often. I try to support them whenever I can.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:44 AM

It was nice to be able to drop into CT yesterday and buy a new set of Hornady dies in 280 Remington and a modified case for the chamber gauge !
Cat
Old 07-31-2019, 12:56 PM

Pick a store, any store, someone will think they are paying too much for something. And there is usually someone who will drive across town to save 1.00, and those who think they are entitled to better pricing because "they're special", even though you've never seen them before. Working a retail counter can be an interesting experience some days.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It was nice to be able to drop into CT yesterday and buy a new set of Hornady dies in 280 Remington and a modified case for the chamber gauge !
Cat
I was surprised to find the CT in Whitehorse had the same prices as the local one.

Grizz