Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-06-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Skinning shack

Building myself a skinning shack. Looking for some neat ideas and size to build. Pictures would be great!
Old 12-06-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer780 View Post
Building myself a skinning shack. Looking for some neat ideas and size to build. Pictures would be great!
Try to build at least a 12 foot ceiling. I like a pulley setup to skin. Concrete floor for cleaning up. The place I skin has a 18 foot ceiling it's 35 wide and 35 long. 2/6 walls. Propane heater that runs 1/3 of the time. Need at least a 3-3 industrial fan for air movement. Mine is basically for coyotes. I like to unthaw as many frozen coyotes as possible in a short time. Plus have my coyotes off of the broad in two days.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the input. I know height is necessary. I want to keep a low ceiling "likely 8 feet" so I was thinking of making kind of a bell tower 4 feet taller then ceiling to mount my winch up in it for skinning coyotes.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:19 PM

you can winch horizontally. after seeing JW coyotes on FB. my next shack will have plumbing so i can run a washing machines inside. next year.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
you can winch horizontally. after seeing JW coyotes on FB. my next shack will have plumbing so i can run a washing machines inside. next year.
Washing machine is a must. Every coyote has the potential to be a super coyote.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:30 PM

copy that!
Old 12-06-2015, 05:41 PM

Old 12-06-2015, 08:06 PM

Does anyone have pictures of them skinning horizontally?
Old 12-06-2015, 09:11 PM

Default skinning shack

VENTILATION is a must...anything is better then nothing...even a window that can be opened. Combining heat working area with dead animals can get real stinky !
Old 12-06-2015, 09:36 PM

I am planning on a few windows. I will put an extra one in up high to be able to place a fan I front of it to draw some air through. Once I start building it I will post some pictures of my build. I am going to build it on skids so that one day if I get a rfma I can move it there.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Banned

I live in a town where I don't have the space to build a separate building so I converted our 10' x 12' storage shed into a skinning shack. It's small, and gets crowded quickly when I'm thawing coyotes, but it works well and is easy to heat. Right now a small shop heater keeps it at about 12 degrees but when it's colder I need two of them going. If I had the option I'd go about 16' x 20' to have more room to work. You have to heat it so I'd consider that when thinking about what size you want.

I've had to find ways of maximizing my space however possible. Some of the ways that I've done that is by putting my winch with skinning base and freezer in my garage. If I only have 2 or 3 coyotes to skin I don't use the winch, it's only for anytime that I have lots to do at once. Hooks on the ceiling of my shed helps a lot with maximizing space, and having a fleshing beam and makeshift beaver skinning table that I can move helps. My beaver table is a small table saw with base and a small piece of plywood to put on top. When not in use the piece of plywood leans against the wall out of the way. I board my beaver right on the floor. I also do my checks everyday so I can put up fur a little at a time as opposed to a lot all at once and I try not to let my workload pile up.

I'd love to have room for a washing machine but for now, I wash my coyotes in a plastic garbage can and fill a 5 gallon jug with water in the kitchen sink and bring it out to the shed. Depending on how dirty/bloody the yotes are, I can wash up to three pelts with two jugs of water. It's a routine that I settled into but if I had the option I'd definitely have a washing machine to make my life more comfortable.

Here's how my shed started out:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=227275
Old 12-06-2015, 10:09 PM

Thanks to all the great info guys! Keep it coming! my initial though was to go 10x12 but then decided to go bigger. As soon as I get my catch I try and rough skin them. Then freeze them and go back to them later. It would also be a place to build new sets and assemble boxes. I am going to do a 2x8 floor insulated and 2x6 walls.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Banned

Where are you located?
Old 12-07-2015, 10:03 AM

Farmer 80 I would never recommend 2x6 walls in a small building. A well insulated 2x4 wall looses very little heat and you do not loose so much floor space in a small building.