Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 06:27 PM

Default Backyard Grizzly Bears

Grizzly Bear encounters are becoming all too common.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...yard-1.5253870
Old 08-20-2019, 06:33 PM

Not to far from my place conservation officers trapped a great big black bear the other day out there. Hers another picture of those same bears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E0F64B9D-4E3E-4303-942A-F29816AF8CCF.jpg (67.5 KB, 416 views)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:41 PM

Warning shots can be fired before or after the furry unicorns take a perma-nap. Enough is enough.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:19 PM

It's getting ridiculous, but we keep getting fed the same old story, we don't know how many grizzlies are out there. Biologist are looking for participants here to help study population numbers and the weekly Bear Smart reports just adds up. Lady told me just yesterday that she was told by one of the "experts" there had been Grizzlies in the Bergen area for ever. Yeah right.

Grizz
Old 08-20-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Warning shots can be fired before or after the furry unicorns take a perma-nap. Enough is enough.
Just be sure to have one more brass laying on the ground than there are bullet holes in the bear....one warning shot, one between the eyes. No particular order
Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 PM

I know what I would do in this situation, without question.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 PM

SRD trapped and killed two gbears in Rocky Mountain House this summer also. Those three near Whitecourt will likely get the same treatment. It would make more sense to me to open a season and let hunters shoot a few gbears than to have SRD trapping and shooting them.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-20-2019, 11:09 PM

Indeed, more sense for sure. It seems we can no more defend our families and property against these bears than we can the vandals and thieves. A good parallel really
Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Not to far from my place conservation officers trapped a great big black bear the other day out there. Hers another picture of those same bears.
my neighbour seen them the other day while out for a drive. Getting to be more of them around. We had a bad black bear at the beginning of august, for how wet its been seems the berries aren't that good this year.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
Indeed, more sense for sure. It seems we can no more defend our families and property against these bears than we can the vandals and thieves. A good parallel really
Well said Howard. Unfortunately, a person or child will need to get mauled or killed in their back yard before our government wakes up and realizes the Grizzly populations have more than "recovered" in most parts of Alberta. The bear hunt definitely needs to be reinstated in some parts of the province, if it was you wouldn't see bears having no fear of humans like this video shows......
Old 08-21-2019, 08:59 AM

A person I know, that may or may not have looked a lot like me, has used #6 shot out of the ol 12 gauge to dissuade stray dog from continuing to come into the farm yard back in SK. Said dogs decided very quickly that their own yard didn't make their arse sting with bird shot. Learned behavior, they stopped roaming......

Bears are large mean and tough creatures. Some bird shot in the arse (preferably 3 quick rounds) would certainly not significantly damage or effect it's quality of life. But some loud bangs followed by some intense pain in the arse may result in the teaching that the two legged creature with the fire stick means business! Gunshots are bad etc....

Now I'm not promoting harming our precious grizzly bears. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to certain teaching techniques....
Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
A person I know, that may or may not have looked a lot like me, has used #6 shot out of the ol 12 gauge to dissuade stray dog from continuing to come into the farm yard back in SK. Said dogs decided very quickly that their own yard didn't make their arse sting with bird shot. Learned behavior, they stopped roaming......

Bears are large mean and tough creatures. Some bird shot in the arse (preferably 3 quick rounds) would certainly not significantly damage or effect it's quality of life. But some loud bangs followed by some intense pain in the arse may result in the teaching that the two legged creature with the fire stick means business! Gunshots are bad etc....

Now I'm not promoting harming our precious grizzly bears. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to certain teaching techniques....
Do not shoot bears with bird shot it has the potential to cause problem bears because of festering wounds. Years ago I had to kill a black bear in my neighbourhood because it became aggressive after being shot with bird shot by a farmer in the area. Would have been better off if he just killed the bear

The idea of educating bears to stay away with a sting I do agree with but rubber slugs or a blunt/arrow is a much better option or bear bangers. This works with out long term issues that come with bird shot.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Do not shoot bears with bird shot it has the potential to cause problem bears because of festering wounds. Years ago I had to kill a black bear in my neighbourhood because it became aggressive after being shot with bird shot by a farmer in the area. Would have been better off if he just killed the bear

The idea of educating bears to stay away with a sting I do agree with but rubber slugs or a blunt/arrow is a much better option or bear bangers. This works with out long term issues that come with bird shot.
Noted and agree, but as I'm not on the farm any longer and I don't see grizz's in my SE Calgary back yard it won't be me pulling the trigger. But I 100% feel they need to be shot at and hit with something non lethal and painful, and often! Cause and effect. Enter yard, see person, hear bang, something then hurts. Eventually that will turn into "don't enter yard"....... or "go other way when you hear a gun shot".........Now where do we buy 12 Guage Rubber Slugs, sounds like anyone in bear country should own some.........
Old 08-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Noted and agree, but as I'm not on the farm any longer and I don't see grizz's in my SE Calgary back yard it won't be me pulling the trigger. But I 100% feel they need to be shot at and hit with something non lethal and painful, and often! Cause and effect. Enter yard, see person, hear bang, something then hurts. Eventually that will turn into "don't enter yard"....... or "go other way when you hear a gun shot".........Now where do we buy 12 Guage Rubber Slugs, sounds like anyone in bear country should own some.........
Cabelas south has rubber slugs. But nothing dies of rubber poisoning lol
Old 08-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Word is it those same three bears made it to a farm south east of whitecourt and proceeded to kill a bunch of chickens.

Anyone who shoots a bear with bird shot hopefully has to deal with the aftermath and accept a Darwin Award instead of some poor unsuspecting individual. Either kill it or use other means to deter it from returning.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Anyone who shoots a bear with bird shot hopefully has to deal with the aftermath and accept a Darwin Award instead of some poor unsuspecting individual. Either kill it or use other means to deter it from returning.
OK so birdshot may not be the best choice. But it has to be something nonlethal, very painful, and with no long term effects like birdshot could be. They have no fear of guns, no fear of people, no fear of bear bangers as there is no consequence when it goes bang. Something has to hurt. But it's not worth the risk of shoot shovel and shut up consequences..... Maybe a 10 gauge heavy duty version of this! 12 gauge delivered tasers.........

https://electronics.howstuffworks.co...tgun-shell.htm

It's sad that it will take a few injuries or deaths before it's taken seriously....
Old 08-21-2019, 11:23 AM

My buddies neighbor had those 3 bears clawing at her door last night trying to get into the house. Fish cops/RCMP both on scene last night fired a few shots in the air but the bears didn't give two ****s. Said he was there for almost 3 hours before they left. Word is they are gonna move traps to this location as well now but it sounds like these bears are moving around a bunch and obviously aren't concerned about humans. This could end very bad for someone if they don't take the necessary steps to deal with these bears very soon.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
My buddies neighbor had those 3 bears clawing at her door last night trying to get into the house. Fish cops/RCMP both on scene last night fired a few shots in the air but the bears didn't give two ****s. Said he was there for almost 3 hours before they left. Word is they are gonna move traps to this location as well now but it sounds like these bears are moving around a bunch and obviously aren't concerned about humans. This could end very bad for someone if they don't take the necessary steps to deal with these bears very soon.
>>
Absolutely out of control, they are. Ridiculous of what the F&W have for expectations on how one is to 'legally' deal with this. Or should I say, the Governments expectations...The F&W must be getting fed up with it?
Old 08-21-2019, 11:38 AM

How patient are the folks in these areas supposed to be??
Old 08-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Well said Howard. Unfortunately, a person or child will need to get mauled or killed in their back yard before our government wakes up and realizes the Grizzly populations have more than "recovered" in most parts of Alberta. The bear hunt definitely needs to be reinstated in some parts of the province, if it was you wouldn't see bears having no fear of humans like this video shows......
I don't believe a mauling or death by Grizzly bear will change the governments mind on this unfortunately. We've already had a sheep hunter killed a season or two ago, and a few mauling within the last few years and nothing has changed here.

If Jason Nixon was interested in this an announcement or an inkling of an announcement would have been made.

BW
Old 08-21-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Rock salt has the same effect with no long term health affects....You can ask the gas thieves....back when people took care of their own problems.
Not that I would have any first hand knowledge but I did hear it from a neighbor who has long since passed away....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:01 PM

We had a bear go into a local restaurant on main street, lucky the inside door (which is usually open) was closed. Bear obituaries make front the page here in spandexville while human obits are buried in the middle of the local rag.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Last thing you want to do is make a ****ed off bear. Somebody, totally unaware will likely pay the price.

Grizz
Old 08-21-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
If they are going to be euthanized anyway, I don’t know why SRD bothers with the trap. Nothing good will come from moving human conditioned bears this time of year.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-21-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If they are going to be euthanized anyway, I don’t know why SRD bothers with the trap. Nothing good will come from moving human conditioned bears this time of year.
I hear they got trapped and relocated today
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I hear they got trapped and relocated today
The success rate on bear relocations is very poor, mostly a PR exercise.

Grizz
Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 AM

Lots of bears in k country have tons of human contact each year and have very little issue. The problem imo is garbage and food sources management.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:57 PM

I do alot of camping in the windfall area of 346 and for the last 5 or so years have been seeing lots of grizz
Old 08-22-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Not the thing to do some boys on a rig up in swan hills ran a griz off shooting it with bird shot the two people it killed later had nothing to do with it. you dont run a griz off by hurting it kill it or call fish cops to come take care of it.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:32 AM

I'm not quite sure the cause and effect in this case. Bears where a firearm has been used as a deterrent, don't make a conscious decision to then attack people cause we made them angry. Don't buy it. If that was the case maybe we should just ask them and reason with them instead.........