Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2021, 03:44 PM

Last year was the first year that I really wanted to get into jigging spoons and I had a ton of success. Dinner Bells, Buck Shot and PK...all worked for walleye and pike (all we ever target) last year. I might start working on plastics this year. I've been thinking about Ned rigging a bit....some Z-Man TRD style stuff that twitches on its own. I like experimenting with new-to-me presentations...
Old 12-10-2021, 03:55 PM

I tried Ned rigs this summer. Worked very well. Be trying them this winter for sure.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I tried Ned rigs this summer. Worked very well. Be trying them this winter for sure.
Ned rigs work amazing! not sure why its not mentioned more.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-10-2021, 06:13 PM

I tried my new 10" Ion auger today for the first time. I'm so happy with it, money very well spent. I drilled 10 holes through roughly 7" of ice and the charger indicator on the battery shows full. It went through the ice like butter.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I tried my new 10" Ion auger today for the first time. I'm so happy with it, money very well spent. I drilled 10 holes through roughly 7" of ice and the charger indicator on the battery shows full. It went through the ice like butter.
Send me a PM and let me know how you made out. I’m camped out on the other lake.

Keep those batteries warm and the ION will treat you well.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:17 AM

PM Sent.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:11 PM

These aren't even supposed to be available yet. I've had a pre-order in for a couple of months and this one just showed up. Black Betty Free Fall Carbon Edition to color match my new perch rod. Now I guess I have to go perch fishing this weekend.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:32 AM

Frostbite order showed up today.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-16-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Frostbite order showed up today.
Nice. Looks like we have similar taste in colors. I didn't find the Dinner Bells to be the be all to end all last weekend. But they did flutter better than I expected them too. Curious how the tantrums work for you.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Nice. Looks like we have similar taste in colors. I didn't find the Dinner Bells to be the be all to end all last weekend. But they did flutter better than I expected them too. Curious how the tantrums work for you.

I’m a sucker for bright colours!

I don’t think there has ever been a lure that lived up to the hype in all circumstances, but another tool in the toolbox is always helpful.

That Tantrum 100 is big! I would love to see it swallowed up by a big laker or pike.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:35 PM

If it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use!! - Clayton Schick
Old 12-17-2021, 09:47 PM

Second only to my year plus hunt for the Otter Pro-Tech rod case has been my hunt for an AquaVu Quad HD camera. I've been looking and talking to the manufacturer Outdoor Insight since the summer. Heck, I even bought a HD10i Pro Gen 2 unit at TFH's big August sale when it looked like they weren't going to be available at all this season. TFH finally got some in and my good friend at the West Ed store hooked me up with one of the two he got. I can't wait to try it out once I get it apart and get the proper Amped Outdoors battery ordered for it.

I also had my kids pick me up a new tackle bag and fish cradle while they were passing through Edmonton on their way home for Christmas. The bag is huge...it holds 12 3600 series Plano's. The kid laughed I won't be able to pick it up when it's full...he's probably right. I also picked up a fish cradle for weighing fish as I'm not feeling this whole measuring thing. I figure with the new GoPro, the measuring board on the rod case, and the cradle and scale I should be covered.

Off to bed, the hunt for the 10lb rainbow continues in the morning...

P.S. If anyone wants the top of the line HD10i Pro Gen 2 camera I bought at 25% off last summer and still haven't cracked the box open yet before I take it back in the next couple of weeks, shoot me a PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Second only to my year plus hunt for the Otter Pro-Tech rod case has been my hunt for an AquaVu Quad HD camera. I've been looking and talking to the manufacturer Outdoor Insight since the summer. Heck, I even bought a HD10i Pro Gen 2 unit at TFH's big August sale when it looked like they weren't going to be available at all this season. TFH finally got some in and my good friend at the West Ed store hooked me up with one of the two he got. I can't wait to try it out once I get it apart and get the proper Amped Outdoors battery ordered for it.

I also had my kids pick me up a new tackle bag and fish cradle while they were passing through Edmonton on their way home for Christmas. The bag is huge...it holds 12 3600 series Plano's. The kid laughed I won't be able to pick it up when it's full...he's probably right. I also picked up a fish cradle for weighing fish as I'm not feeling this whole measuring thing. I figure with the new GoPro, the measuring board on the rod case, and the cradle and scale I should be covered.

P.S. If anyone wants the top of the line HD10i Pro Gen 2 camera I bought at 25% off last summer and still haven't cracked the box open yet before I take it back in the next couple of weeks, shoot me a PM.
I would LOVE that quad cam but Christ are they expensive. I think I saw 1800USD?? But man they look awesome. Schick did a great vid with his.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:10 PM

Those dinner bells you bought will be the best hooks you will run all year for walleye. I bin fishing with them since frostbite came out with them. White peach glow tipped with a minnow is a killer. If your running the medium size dinner bell I actually sized up one more treble size on them with a gamma and your hook up rate will be temendous. Just a little idea to try.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:43 AM

Quote:

I have that exact tackle bag and yes it does get heavy.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Those dinner bells you bought will be the best hooks you will run all year for walleye. I bin fishing with them since frostbite came out with them. White peach glow tipped with a minnow is a killer. If your running the medium size dinner bell I actually sized up one more treble size on them with a gamma and your hook up rate will be temendous. Just a little idea to try.

Good tip. I may add a crankbait snap between the hook and the lure as well so I can put a minnow head on the treble shank. Cuts down on the bait stealing and let’s the treble pivot into the fish mouth when they inhale easier.

SS

Old 12-19-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I would LOVE that quad cam but Christ are they expensive. I think I saw 1800USD?? But man they look awesome. Schick did a great vid with his.
$2,500 Cdn...pretty much double the best single lens UC camera you can buy. Pretty sure its worth it though. At least to me.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
The next size up VMC 9650 treble in tin red goes on all my new lures once I get around to it. This time of year, they keep showing up so fast I can't keep up. lol.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I have that exact tackle bag and yes it does get heavy.
I think it may be going back. Their site says it has 12 3600 boxes. But it's actually 12 3700 boxes. Doesn't really fit with the organization I had in mind. We'll see.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:52 AM

Yeah that’s sounds like a great idea to try also. I usually run a full minnow on them and very little rip jiggin with them for there action is unbelievable with just the slightest jiggin. I’ve just found I had more luck running a full minnow than just the head but everybody creates there own luck. Tight lines!!
Old 12-20-2021, 08:47 AM

Old 12-20-2021, 09:53 AM

Nice. You got the complete kit...driller included.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Nice. You got the complete kit...driller included.
No kidding. And he looks ready and willing to use it! Nice work.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:45 PM

The Wife wants to go fishing on Christmas day. It's supposed to be -35 that day so I grabbed a 18,000 BTU Buddy Heater to put in the tent. That should make it much more pleasant.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
The Wife wants to go fishing on Christmas day. It's supposed to be -35 that day so I grabbed a 18,000 BTU Buddy Heater to put in the tent. That should make it much more pleasant.
You married the right one.

Christmas Day is the one day I know I won't be out on the ice over the holidays. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You married the right one.

Christmas Day is the one day I know I won't be out on the ice over the holidays. Good luck.
She's a keeper!
Old 12-20-2021, 11:18 PM

I was just looking at the strikemaster augers and can someone tell me the difference between the 40v and the PRO 40V.cash is 150 swing, but what would I be paying for for that 150 extra please. I went into the fishing hole to look ,but the salesmen looked like he took a good poke in the nuts , I almost told him off ,but I walked. There not the only swing dicks that sell augers.

Any info would be appreciated .

THANKS
JD
Old 12-21-2021, 12:19 AM

The Pro 40V has a 6 amp/hr battery which should equate to more holes drilled and uses the 8” lite-flite laser drill (same flite that is used on the SM 24v auger) to make it lighter. Pro model advertised at 115 holes thru 16” of ice on a single charge.

The standard 40V model comes with the heavier all metal 8” or 10” flite and a 5 amp/hr battery. Standard 8” model advertised at 100 holes thru 16” of ice on a single charge.

If you go to www.rapala.ca and click on the Strikemaster tab it will list the features of both augers.

Last edited by JohninAB; 12-21-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:02 AM

Interesting. I'm waiting for the lite flite in 10 inch. Someone will do it one year
Old 12-21-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I was just looking at the strikemaster augers and can someone tell me the difference between the 40v and the PRO 40V.cash is 150 swing, but what would I be paying for for that 150 extra please. I went into the fishing hole to look ,but the salesmen looked like he took a good poke in the nuts , I almost told him off ,but I walked. There not the only swing dicks that sell augers.

Any info would be appreciated .

THANKS
JD
Read this thread.