Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Super looking rig. Top drawer. And I love the GSP too!
He looks like he's claimed his bed for the season.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
My buddy just bought a Koender's shack. It's in getting all wired up with TV's and stuff. I'm curious to see it when it's done. Yours looks great!
The walls by the rear door are wired with a stereo and we just use the Marcum for fish tv... I put a solar panel on the rear as well...

Hope your buddy is as happy as we are. Cheers

Quote:
Super looking rig. Top drawer. And I love the GSP too!
Thank you, Jager my GSP is always with us.

Quote:
He looks like he's claimed his bed for the season.
He has a 50% stake in everything I do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F87E9894-8C94-4118-AE4A-5B3BE17F14AB.jpg (31.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Sledhead71; 12-08-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=AlbertanGP;4440260]Otters are definitely expensive once you have them kitted out. But they are a one and done purchase...you'll never wear one out. Lots of farmers in the States use them to tow behind a quad over dirt and rocks with no runners and they just go forever.

Otters are good but not worth the price difference, I ran an otter pro magnum for just over 5 years and it was great but it did finally crack on me and same thing happened to my trapping partners so I don't recommend without runners for sure over long time. I run the pelican now just cause the deal is the best out there although I think otter material is built a bit better.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:27 PM

I think anything being pulled over a trap line is going to lead a hard life. I don't think a Shappell sled would last one run behind a snowmobile on a trap line. Pelican's are definitely better made than Shappells, but not on par with Otters from what I have seen. YMMV.

P.S. Let us know how the Pelican holds up.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=RockyMountainMusic;4451172]
Quote:
Otters are definitely expensive once you have them kitted out. But they are a one and done purchase...you'll never wear one out. Lots of farmers in the States use them to tow behind a quad over dirt and rocks with no runners and they just go forever.

Otters are good but not worth the price difference, I ran an otter pro magnum for just over 5 years and it was great but it did finally crack on me and same thing happened to my trapping partners so I don't recommend without runners for sure over long time. I run the pelican now just cause the deal is the best out there although I think otter material is built a bit better.

FWIW for an otter you still need runners. And you’ll burn through $100 in runners easy if you aren’t on snow/ice.

With a deer inside going over 90% snow cover she was wore through in 1 trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2021, 05:23 PM

I've never worn out a set of Hyfax runners on an Otter. Heck I have a 15 year old set of crappy Clam runners on an old Yukon that are still going strong. I'm not sure what you guys are using your sleds for but we're talking ice fishing gear here. lol.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I've never worn out a set of Hyfax runners on an Otter. Heck I have a 15 year old set of crappy Clam runners on an old Yukon that are still going strong. I'm not sure what you guys are using your sleds for but we're talking ice fishing gear here. lol.
Your right for ice fishing purposes on snow and ice only the otter should last you your lifetime IMO. Only reason I commented was because the post about the farmers south dragging it through dirt rocks etc with no runners and not wearing out. Was just sharing my experience which yes is much rougher on the trapline and the otter still held up well. If I would of put the runners on, it would still be going strong. The pelican is not built with as good of material but the price difference for the full set up is huge or I would of went back.. But this is only year 2 on the pelican so we will see. PS I use it ice fishing too up at Slave so its on topic LOL
Old 12-09-2021, 08:15 AM

I get what you're saying and I don't think anything would last being dragged across dirt, gravel, etc. I was surprised to see that people regularly use those sleds for such activities...get something with some wheels IMO. I think for ice fishing where we are mostly hauling across ice and snow, you could probably get by without hyfax runners. But then again, because the sleds are so expensive for what they are, to me it only makes sense to slap some runners on for insurance.

Still curious to hear feedback on the Pelicans as time goes by. Yes the Otters are beefier. But maybe if used just for ice fishing the Pelicans are more than durable enough and a person can save some money.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:45 AM

Looking forward to no fumes, no gas, and no more heavy auger.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2021, 11:46 AM

I have a Pelican 75 sled I have used for 7 years now. Pulled it all over ice fishing behind my quad and even had it fly out of the back of my truck (strap broke) at 65 mph and skid down the pavement. Couple small road rash marks, other than that, good as new.

I would not hesitate to get another one but doubt I will ever need too.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:48 AM

sns2 that is a nice setup. Switching from 2 smoke to electric is one of the best things I have done gear wise.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to no fumes, no gas, and no more heavy auger.

Very nice! I'm still trying to track down a 6" Pistol Bit. The search continues...
Old 12-09-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I have a Pelican 75 sled I have used for 7 years now. Pulled it all over ice fishing behind my quad and even had it fly out of the back of my truck (strap broke) at 65 mph and skid down the pavement. Couple small road rash marks, other than that, good as new.

I would not hesitate to get another one but doubt I will ever need too.
I have no doubt the Pelican will last a long time. They look to be well made from what I have seen.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
sns2 that is a nice setup. Switching from 2 smoke to electric is one of the best things I have done gear wise.
Thanks, John. Yes, I have never heard of anyone saying they wished they’d have stuck with gas rather than going electric, whether it be a Strikemaster or Ion or Jiffy, or with a drill. All seem to be good options.

I will say that I went with the drill, so as to be able to use it for multiple things. I put a spade bit on and drill holes in ground for willows in goose season. I also picked up a leaf blower attachment for the M18Fuel, and dang if it doesn’t work great at blowing dry snow quickly off the walks.

Good luck this season!
Old 12-09-2021, 02:45 PM

Decided to see if these Dinner Bell spoons are the real deal or if all the YT influencers are just promoting each other's products. Regardless, the money tackle for the weekend is in the box from Rapala that showed up at the same time.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Decided to see if these Dinner Bell spoons are the real deal or if all the YT influencers are just promoting each other's products. Regardless, the money tackle for the weekend is in the box from Rapala that showed up at the same time.
they're the real deal - my blue/white dinner bell caught more fish for me than anything else last winter. My second biggest walleye of the year (also my first of the season) was on it. Say what you want about the guys themselves, but the products are insanely good. Can't say enough good things about the rods, as well.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:

I placed a large order of the same just last night. Tossed in a few big Tantrums as well for Lakers.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-09-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
they're the real deal - my blue/white dinner bell caught more fish for me than anything else last winter. My second biggest walleye of the year (also my first of the season) was on it. Say what you want about the guys themselves, but the products are insanely good. Can't say enough good things about the rods, as well.
Yeah, I've seen lots of good reviews on them. I don't think Frostbite makes them tbh. I think Peric just got the distribution rights for Canada.

Their rods look interesting, if even a more confusing lineup than TUCR. I may try one someday.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I placed a large order of the same just last night. Tossed in a few big Tantrums as well for Lakers.

SS
I thought about the tantrums, but I have a 3700 each of Slab Raps and Rippin' Raps in most every size and color that have never let me down yet. Still, I probably should pick up a couple of the big 4" Tantrums as I don't have anything that big.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen lots of good reviews on them. I don't think Frostbite makes them tbh. I think Peric just got the distribution rights for Canada.

Their rods look interesting, if even a more confusing lineup than TUCR. I may try one someday.
Just one guy here, but I have a Dipstik that I use for deadsticking and absolutely love it. Noodle tip that detects the smallest bites, but (IMO) has enough power to handle bigger walleyes, if need be. I want to get a Drench for jigging to go with it. Right now I've got a Shimano Convergence for jigging that I really like, but I'll go to Frostbite eventually...
Old 12-09-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:

I ordered a bunch of dinner bells and plastics 2 weeks ago from Frostbite Fishing. Hoping they arrive next week.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:59 PM

Lot's of guys trying the Frostbite stuff this season. Be sure to leave some feedback. The rods look to be a better deal than the TUCRs, since getting a TUCR up to Canada is just so expensive. And while I love my TUCRs for the most part, I am looking for a different action in some of my rods that are going to require going to a different brand most likely.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I ordered a bunch of dinner bells and plastics 2 weeks ago from Frostbite Fishing. Hoping they arrive next week.
Flutter spoons are where it's at. If the dinner bells can give my Tumblers & Tinglers a run for their money, I'll be tickled.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:52 PM

Just added a 6” Lite Flite to my Strikemaster 40V for perch and trout trips. Shaved a little over 4 lbs off the rig weight.

8 inch metal flighting installed.

6” lite flite installed.

SS

Old 12-09-2021, 09:04 PM

Default Walleye Spoons

Fellas, you know hooks. What do you like better for walleye through the ice: Frostbite Dinner Bell Spoons or Northland Buckshot Spoons?
Old 12-09-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Fellas, you know hooks. What do you like better for walleye through the ice: Frostbite Dinner Bell Spoons or Northland Buckshot Spoons?

I’ve had great success with the Buckshot spoons. Just ordered some Dinner Bells as well to try out.

Little Cleo’s are also a good option.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I’ve had great success with the Buckshot spoons. Just ordered some Dinner Bells as well to try out.

Little Cleo’s are also a good option.
I will go with the Buckshot spoons as they are available locally for sure.

SS, do you have any color preferences for eyes?
Old 12-10-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
I organize my ice fishing spoons into two categories, flutter spoons and lead spoons. The dinner bell is a hybrid flutter spoon. The buckshot spoon is the prototypical lead spoon. The lid very rarely gets flipped open on my lead spoon box. When it does, it's usually for a Glo-Shot offering over something with rattles, and it's usually around the edges of primetime. But that's just me.

Color wise? That entire box from Rapala above was replacements of several spoons in one specific color. But that one I'm keeping to myself.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I will go with the Buckshot spoons as they are available locally for sure.

SS, do you have any color preferences for eyes?

After I posted I got thinking that I didn’t elaborate much. The action of the two spoons is quite different. The Dinner bell would be more of a fluttering action, like the Custom Jigs & Spins Flutter Spoon, Williams Wablers in the smaller sizes, VMC’s Tingler, etc. These styles fall more slowly and tend to kick out to the side more as they freefall.

The buck shot spoons are heavier and tend to fall faster and be more of a “pound the bottom” style for me. Little Cleo’s are similar but they do kick out to the side more because of their curved shape.

As for colours, I like gold and silver for the flutter styles as they flash like a minnow or baitfish. I like the pink/white or purple/white for buckshot, usually in UV glow as well.

SS

Old 12-10-2021, 11:15 AM

Thanks, Sam Steele