Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-18-2021, 07:01 PM

Default pond trout your favorite powerbait

I have a stocked 1 acre pond that is proving to be a tough bite. The fish rarely rise and never responded to the floating pellets. I was shocked and thought they where all dead but we have caught and released a few over summer Im not a bobber guy really but as we get closer to freeze up may have to try more baitfishing. Whats your fav powerbait flavor and technic to serve it up. Anyone make their own? my pond is loaded with freshwater shrimp so that may be a good start on a recipe. cheers chain
Old 09-18-2021, 07:39 PM

Use cocktail shrimp
Old 09-19-2021, 12:23 PM

Try some spinners or small spoons. I have brooks, browns and rainbows in my pond and they all will take on the flash.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 09-19-2021, 01:31 PM

Pink power bait and a white marshmallow. Deadly. About 3-4 feet off the bottom.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:07 PM

Small five of diamonds and rainbow trout coloured Len Thompson spoons do very well for me. Had a friend tell me that he throws coloured mini marshmallows into the pond and once the fish get used to eating them, he installs a hook into one and has had good luck with that method. I have had six trout ponds over the last ten years but am down to three now and have found that some fish only eat natural food while others prefer the pellets. Freshwater shrimp seem to be their favourite feed though. Varying the lure speed and depth can really make a difference. I keep on telling myself that I should buy a fly rod and try that but haven’t got around to it yet. Maggots, pieces of store bought shrimp and small minnows work very well in the winter months too.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
Small five of diamonds and rainbow trout coloured Len Thompson spoons do very well for me. Had a friend tell me that he throws coloured mini marshmallows into the pond and once the fish get used to eating them, he installs a hook into one and has had good luck with that method. I have had six trout ponds over the last ten years but am down to three now and have found that some fish only eat natural food while others prefer the pellets. Freshwater shrimp seem to be their favourite feed though. Varying the lure speed and depth can really make a difference. I keep on telling myself that I should buy a fly rod and try that but haven’t got around to it yet. Maggots, pieces of store bought shrimp and small minnows work very well in the winter months too.
Might wanna let your friend know that throwing the marshmallows in so they get used to it is considered chumming and illegal in Alberta. No harm done, but you don't want a ticket
Old 09-20-2021, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgod View Post
Might wanna let your friend know that throwing the marshmallows in so they get used to it is considered chumming and illegal in Alberta. No harm done, but you don't want a ticket
If it’s a private stocked pond on a person’s property that doesn’t apply
Old 09-20-2021, 09:38 AM

My go to is Berkley Gulp! Trout Dough. I've used the orange pulp and american pie colours/flavors. Both work well.

https://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod...34170986233995
Old 09-20-2021, 12:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Toss out a bobber and a fly 5 feet behind it....reel in real slow. We use to hit up a fellas pond and the wee ones used this technique and had a blast just gotta have different types of flies available and figure what they want. Or a nice gob of worm dangling below the bobber I read your not a bobber guy but hey if ya wanna catch and not just fish give this a shot.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-20-2021, 01:23 PM

Velvetta cheese.

That is my go-to bait for any stocked trout ............ outfishes power-bait, shrimp, spoons, spinners or anything else a guy would want to try.

Cold block cubed into small cubes and on a snelled hook, or mold it into a small ball on a small hook and you are in business. Either under a bobber or fished on bottom (depending on weeds, where the fish are, etc..)
Old 09-22-2021, 07:58 AM

Don’t chum. Bad for water quality and will only increase algae.

Just hang a balance leech or chironomid under a bobber. Go to any fly shop and ask for help.

Trout are always hard to catch when the water is warm.

Also hard to catch if their is Lots of natural food to eat. So you need to mimic the natural
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-22-2021, 12:48 PM

This post was put forward by a man looking for different ways to increase his catch rate on his own private pond that has an over abundant freshwater shrimp population. Don’t know if he aerates and treats his pond with dyes and good bacteria or not. If he does, like my friend who also has his own privately stocked pond on his own land, trying something like throwing in a handful mini marshmallows occasionally to increase his catch rate will not create any algae blooms or other damage to the ponds environment.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
This post was put forward by a man looking for different ways to increase his catch rate on his own private pond that has an over abundant freshwater shrimp population. Don’t know if he aerates and treats his pond with dyes and good bacteria or not. If he does, like my friend who also has his own privately stocked pond on his own land, trying something like throwing in a handful mini marshmallows occasionally to increase his catch rate will not create any algae blooms or other damage to the ponds environment.
yes your correct private pond. I have two windmills going, one airstone 3 feet off bottom the other 4 feet from top. No dyes or any experience with additives. stocked rainbows and browns pond depth averages 12feet this year but normally would be 15. Hoping they overwinter, we shall see. No algae all summer but now there is a nasty green film starting. wind seems to keep it on the shoreline where sucked it up with 2" pump. thanks for your reply chain
Old 09-22-2021, 08:48 PM

thanks for replies and pms all. My concern with baitfishing was based on releasing the fish easily.chain
Old 10-02-2021, 08:36 AM

When doing any kind of bait fishing you are going to gut hook most fish,usually killing them. Or cutting the line close to there mouth and hope for the best. But if your going to bait fish anyhow and you don't like bobbers, put a sliding weight on your line then a bead so weight doesn't chew up your knot then a swivel. Tie a short line to other end of the swivel and some kinda floating bait on to a very light tiny hook like those Gulp floating eggs in Chartruse or blow up a bit of worm so it floats with a hypo needle.

Or you can just hang a weight on the end of your line and about a 8 inches up make a loop putting it through several times so it doesn't slip then cut one end of loop close to main line tie a hook on that end of cut loop and Bob's your uncle.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:26 AM

O2 drops quick once ice on. Watch your aerator lines from freezing.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Velvetta cheese.

That is my go-to bait for any stocked trout ............ outfishes power-bait, shrimp, spoons, spinners or anything else a guy would want to try.

Cold block cubed into small cubes and on a snelled hook, or mold it into a small ball on a small hook and you are in business. Either under a bobber or fished on bottom (depending on weeds, where the fish are, etc..)

This ^^^
Can also be infused with fresh chopped garlic
Old 10-05-2021, 10:19 PM

Default Update

I always appreciate when others update thier threads so here a quick word and couple pics. Never had much time to shop for bait between work and hunting. Local hardware store only carried some old jars of coloured marshmallows so we dug worms. Fishing is better but still gotta work at it. Water is clear and weeds around edges are losing the green rapidly. Bobber and night crawler is working for us. I still prefer fly fishing. Black leech top catcher so far. Fish stomachs reveal big dragon nymphs backswimmers leeches too but hundreds of small shrimp. No wonder they are hard to catch and growing fast. Thanks again for responces. Chain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3C35AD4-F6A5-4DD7-8228-200BED1CB7F4.jpg (11.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DD6AB1D8-3350-4F14-BC3D-16FC01B748E7.jpg (21.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg FDE73040-7004-4B15-A615-5C67ADA3F386.jpg (17.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 11:23 PM

Woolly bugger flies always worked best for me over any bait imaginable.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:14 PM

These work ..... if not enjoy them when your done.

D.