Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 07:37 PM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.
Default Savage Axis II Precision - Do You Have One

I’m considering the 30-06 version as I reload 30-06 and I’m trying to get some feedback on the Savage. Any of you guys own one, shoot one or have shot one and what’s your general impression as to build quality and accuracy?
Old 09-25-2021, 08:22 PM

Savage axis....cheapest feeling/looking hunting rifle of them all...garbage flexible stock is the biggest issue.. that said most of them will actually shoot great groups. I have one in 22-250 and its lights out on coyotes easily under moa with my handloads...great for slugging around from stand to stand in the snow....its not a rifle that inspires or will give you the fizz but it does shoot well...
You'll probably get a bunch of haters and not without good reason but not many will be able to condemn them for accuracy.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:25 PM

From my username you can probably gather that i started out a long time ago as a savage enthusiast. Oh they can shoot good enough groups but they’re sooooo cheap.

I’ve sworn off them a long time ago.

Creepy triggers, crappy stock, rust easily and bolts cannot be field stripped at all.

In time, I learned to appreciate better designs and manufacturing.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:35 PM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.

https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=57549

I’m well aware of the + and - of the Axis rifles. Click the above and this is a new platform, rifle sells for $1100-1200 so not a $300 Axis. I reload and am only interested in punching paper with the MDT platform.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:40 PM

Default I have an Axis II Precision

I recently purchased a Savage Axis II Precision in 223. Have only had it out to the range once so far. I am very happy with it. I think at least one of the previous comments on this thread was about a non-precision model as the Precision models come with a MDT chassis which I would not describe as garbage. Good value for the $$$ in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewjw View Post
https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=57549

I’m well aware of the + and - of the Axis rifles. Click the above and this is a new platform, rifle sells for $1100-1200 so not a $300 Axis. I reload and am only interested in punching paper with the MDT platform.

That rifle is simply an axis ll in an mdt chassis. I wouldn't pay the $$ for one myself but hey I'm sure it will still shoot.. the issue for me would be the action is still an axis....much better action designs out there... even by savage....we are talking about a 1200$ dollar rifle. 900$ of that is the mdt chassis. The axis machining/ metal finish ect is very cheaply done...if that doesnt matter to you go for it. Like I said I have no doubt it will be very accurate..
Old 09-26-2021, 06:52 AM

$1100 for an axis. What a joke. An axis isn’t even as good as the standard savage action and neither are very good. Bad bolt design, feeding can sometimes be problematic, etc etc. money can be spent so much better elsewhere.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:36 AM

These articles sheds some light on the II Precision

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/p...-ii-precision/

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...-ii-precision/

Last edited by waynewjw; 09-26-2021 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added more info