Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 AM

Default Re-loading Grand slams

I Am currently using Speers Grand Slams 130grain 270win and not impressed with the shoulder of the actual bullet as it seats in the die differently every time due to bullet inconsistency, changing OAL everytime. I believe if I changed to a different bullet I may be able to tighten up my group. Any thoughts on nosler partitions are they consistant, hold together well, any issues?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM

I don't load them, but my first question is with your measuring .... Measuring on the tip can give some substantial differences. .... measuring on the ogive with a comparator will give you a more accurate reading.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 AM

Yes. The actual OAL length to the tip doesn't matter very much, your die will seat them to length base to ogive. That's the important measurement that matters.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 AM

Exposed lead will deform with even minor bumping causing different coal measurements. As mentiond before set your coal to fit into your magazine then dont get too worked up about round to round coal. IF you have any doubts about oam to the ogive (the only really important measurement) take a sized and lightly chamfered case (too much chamfer will give a slightly false measurement) measure the inside dimentions of the mouth (should be same as diameter as bullet) then place it over the bullet on the loaded round and measure with your calipers. Then simply subtract the case and you have a measurement to the ogive of the bullet. Compare a few loaded round and you should find a very close average. As to partions imho they are fantastic bullets that have proven themselves for years on game. They also shoot great in every rifle I have tried them in

Last edited by obsessed1; 10-28-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Good to know this hasn't been a problem until lately but I'm happy to hear all the input. I will be picking up a comparator asap just to see how the numbers work. It just seems that they are not seating to the same depth visually. will post the results.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwayz View Post
Good to know this hasn't been a problem until lately but I'm happy to hear all the input. I will be picking up a comparator asap just to see how the numbers work. It just seems that they are not seating to the same depth visually. will post the results.
Seems odd. You'd think that your seating die would seat every bullet the same.
Length to tips will probably vary but the seated depth should all be the same?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:29 PM

BTW, I exclusively used grand slams in my ruger 270, and they were very accurate.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:28 PM

They were doing great for me until this year I bought four boxes they all measure the same overall length but when I use the comparator they all differ, so to me that says the shoulders of the bullets are not consistant. I will be switching to the nosler for next year. Don't get me wrong Im still getting a 1" to 1 1/4" group just figure I can get better if the bullets were more consistant. Thanks for all the help

Tags
ammo, reloading