Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Flintlock parts help

I've had this lock since I was a little kid - I think it came down through my family (we still have a lot of early furniture and farm tools from the 19th century). I realize there is no monetary value here, but it would be nice to see this piece of history shoot something again.

I've just started looking into it and I'd like to try to restore it to shooting condition. I'm hoping members of the board can help me with a couple of things here.

Firstly, I need two springs for it - the main spring for the hammer, and the sear spring. If I can't find these springs, the project is dead in the water. Hopefully someone coming to the Calgary Gun Show over Easter weekend will have the parts.

Secondly, I've done some research and think I've narrowed the lock down to two possible lock makers by the name of "R. Ashmore" - one from England 1768-85 and the other from Kentucky around 1825. Of course, both of these might be wrong too. I've found a number talking about a "R. Ashmore Warranted" but that's not what the name on the plate says.

All I have are the parts seen in the pics - no stock or barrel or any other clues as to what the rest of the gun once looked like. If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction to make a decent guess at what this was once attached to, I'd be in your debt.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lock6.jpg (61.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg lock5.jpg (70.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Lock4.jpg (62.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Lock3.jpg (60.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Lock2.jpg (53.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Lock1.jpg (47.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 PM

I would change all the springs ,myself.
Seeing haw there is no detente ( " or fly") in the tumbler, it wasn't a higher quality lock, but I'm sure it can be brought back into decent service to where you may be able to find a parts gun for it.
Cat
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 PM

Check with Dixie Gunworks. They have a number of different springs. Photocopy the plate. Send it to them. They should be able to match up something. They may even be able to tell you something about the lock/gun.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Banned

I may be able to help, maybe. My next order from Brownells will include raw spring material, both flat and wire. Of course they will require heat treating once they are bent to the desired shape. Also, I recently acquired a Connecticut Valley Arms sidelock kit. The stock is included, if the shape suits your needs, I could not only copy it, but make suitable alterations on my carving duplicator. PM me if you fancy this.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Jim Chambers out of the states is the reigning expert on these types of locks. Chambers will not only have the parts but can put it back in top shape if you send it to them. (There are a number of other people who repair these locks) Jim can also probably give you a pretty good idea on who made it and what kind of gun it would have likely been on. Then all you have to do is get someone to build that gun or order a kit for it.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...um.php?fid/17/

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

Both these forums contain a ton of info.

http://www.flintlocks.com/

Jim's site

http://www.redaviscompany.com/locks.html

Davis Locks

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

Track of the Wolfe - great spot to get parts and very helpful if you give them a call.

Best of luck with the project.. Sounds like fun.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 PM

If you are going to the calgary gun show, bring the lock along and look for the ABPA (Alberta Black Powder Association) table. Ask for Doug. He has built, re-built, repaired, and tinkered with locks for longer than i care to recall. he is a font of information, and he may have parts and such that you need.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 PM

Default here you go

Track Of the Wolf has all kinds of parts and ships to Canada......Harold
Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 AM

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies and PM's - you've given me confidence it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
My next order from Brownells will include raw spring material, both flat and wire. Of course they will require heat treating once they are bent to the desired shape.
I may take you up on this gitrdun - I'm going to try to source the springs elsewhere for now, but if I can't find them, I'll be in touch. As for the stock, I'm a few months away from needing one. Thanks for the offer - I'm always happy to support local skills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post
Check with Dixie Gunworks. They have a number of different springs. Photocopy the plate. Send it to them.
Great suggestion. It may come to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Jim Chambers out of the states is the reigning expert on these types of locks. Chambers will not only have the parts but can put it back in top shape if you send it to them.
I had found this website but didn't realize he did this kind of work. I've emailed him to see if he would consider taking on the re-hab job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm08 View Post
If you are going to the calgary gun show, bring the lock along and look for the ABPA (Alberta Black Powder Association) table.
Unless I find something sooner, I'll definitely drop by with the lock and see what they have to say.

Thanks again everyone - I'll post an update once this starts to take shape!

Tags
blackpowder, muzzleloader, parts, restoration