Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 09:00 PM

Default City water bill per month

live in the country almost 30 years, wanted to know how much a month I have saved, know it was less years ago, anybody got new and some old bills.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:10 PM

https://www.epcor.com/products-servi...ter-rates.aspx
Old 02-09-2019, 10:28 PM

Water is gone to he'll in my neck of the woods ,$60 per month before I turn on the tap.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:01 AM

CNP water/sewer/garbage. $90 month.
New Charges $90.00
Water- Residential $32.77
Sewer- Residential $31.12
Garbage $23.08
Recycling $3.03
Total Payment now due $90.00
Old 02-10-2019, 12:19 AM
Banned

August 2018

Metered water capacity- $20.97
Water fixed charge - $4.95
Water consumption- $27.12
Sewer capacity charge - $18.93
Sanitary sewer fixed - $3.75
Sewer consumption- $15.00
Garbage and recycling- $21.05

Amount due - $111.77
Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 AM

about $95 / mo, in town now all in.

Had friends who bought a raw acreage a few years back, by the time he drilled a well and put in a septic system he was at $27,000 and that's up front out of pocket money, that's about the same as 27 years worth of water and sewer in town, not to mention garbage and recycle pickup. Now this is assuming he doesn't have any problems over the next 27 years and has to start to replace pumps, pressure tanks etc.

If you take a young couple who has a mortgage when they build and you add the cost of that on top of the mortgage over 25 years, that $27K becomes $54K or more depending on interest rates, so that puts them over $2K per year, just saying

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:04 AM

^^^I was just going to say that.
Well water is far from free.
Also consider the power consumption to pump it.
And not having to worry about a pressure system - priceless.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Angry

And that why I bailed on so called city living.....those little bills add up and they keep on creeping up.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-10-2019, 07:35 AM

I will gladly pay the $100 a month in the city for water, sewer and garbage pickup versus all the issues I had to deal with in the country.

It's way cheaper, IMO. Unless you value your time and effort at $0 an hour.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:58 AM

I've tracked my utility bills since we moved into our house (Edmonton). In 2011 water use cost me $572 for 130m3 used. Last year $959 for 165m3 used. Works out to about $65/mnth. That inclusive of water & drainage, some garden and lawn watering, and a 30ft x 15ft back yard ice rink I've built for the kids over the past few years. We are a pretty water conscious family so that likely counts for something.

When we added kids to the mix the amount of water use went up as expected but the shocking thing are the year-over-year cost increases we've seen. I don't know think most folks understand how much our city bills/taxes have increased over 10 years. It works out to be just about double (2x) over that period of time.

Property taxes alone one is looking at just under 5% year-over-year (same house no improvements). Garbage pick-up in 2007 was $155 for the year. Last year was $539. Understand the city overall we are playing catch-up to the boom years from 2004-2012, new arena, LRT expansion, art gallery, museum, roads, bridges, and such but long term it is not something that can be sustainable from my perspective. The city needs to start halting tax increases and look at cutting the budget where it can be particularly with the economic challenges we are/will be facing.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I will gladly pay the $100 a month in the city for water, sewer and garbage pickup versus all the issues I had to deal with in the country.

It's way cheaper, IMO. Unless you value your time and effort at $0 an hour.
14 years and only had a septic tank pump pack it in 300 bucks later and 1hr of my time....we save 280 bucks a month in bills just to live....we have cheaper gas delivery as we on a coop type deal, no garbage, no water, no recycling etc etc bills....

What use to pizz me off was all the garbage brought to the curb and then the Ravens have thier way because people don't lock thier lids down and the neighbourhood looks like a landfill dump with crap all,over the place

Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 AM

We pay roughly $75.00 water, sewer , garbage and recycling. (That’s 2 people)
When the water stops flowing, or the sewer backs up the city looks after that unless it is in my own house.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 AM

Bottom line is that “country” living is more expensive than urban living. The break-even cost of the well/septic installation and subsequent maintenance likely exceeds 30years. The option of cistern and septic pump-out probably rivals or exceeds city costs? House taxes are likely similar.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
14 years and only had a septic tank pump pack it in 300 bucks later and 1hr of my time....we save 280 bucks a month in bills just to live....we have cheaper gas delivery as we on a coop type deal, no garbage, no water, no recycling etc etc bills....

What use to pizz me off was all the garbage brought to the curb and then the Ravens have thier way because people don't lock thier lids down and the neighbourhood looks like a landfill dump with crap all,over the place
I can't see how you would save $280.00 per month.

My average total for all utilities per month for 2018 was about $239.00 - includes gas and electricity. Total = $2,863.78 for the year.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
House taxes are likely similar.
I seriously doubt it. I've never heard "I'm building in the city because taxes are cheaper". Lots are typically way cheaper out of town as well.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Bottom line is that “country” living is more expensive than urban living. The break-even cost of the well/septic installation and subsequent maintenance likely exceeds 30years. The option of cistern and septic pump-out probably rivals or exceeds city costs? House taxes are likely similar.
14 years ago well, septic tank and field and water system cast approx 30K...we do our own maintenance, get tank sucked out every two years at 240 bucks when I crunched the number from town bills to the where we live now the septic, water etc paid for itself in about 12 years....but you gotta be able to ensure you look after the systems yourself, not hard to do but many like to throw a switch or make a call if something goes wonky and you will pay for those services....I just didn't like not being in control of some expenses like water, garbage, recycling climbing costs but to each their own....

Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Banned

We are billed roughly $200.00 quarterly for the aforementioned services in our little village on the prairie. Plus 15.00 per month to soften the water enough to not corrode our fixtures and the cost of R.O. filters to make it palatable, about $250.00 every three years. Sure do miss the Elbow River Gin.

Free
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I seriously doubt it. I've never heard "I'm building in the city because taxes are cheaper". Lots are typically way cheaper out of town as well.
Yup saved 600 bucks a year in land taxes right off the start....
Bigger , fresh build, a chunk of land too just had to clear trees and plant grass etc which we farted around with for about two years to get everything to our liking.....

Old 02-10-2019, 09:02 AM

$46 minimum charge, extra if you use more water than the amount allowed with the minimum charge. Don't know what that extra charge per cubic meter is as never have consumed that much.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 AM

City of Lloydminster 2 month billing cycle

Water Consumption $69.54
MTR Fee $37.98
Garbage & Landfill Fees $40.00
Stormwater Charge $26.00
total bill $173.52

Additional Billing Highlights
Number of days in the period: 61
Your average daily utility cost: $2.84

Posted to compare with others I have no idea what the MTR charge is?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
You can save some money on taxes it is true.
But, you will spend that money and more elsewhere depending on where you are.
I found the lack of close access to services drove up the cost. You will need at least 2 vehicles - with all the wear and tear, insurance and fuel, etc. that is going to cost.
Not to mention grass and tree cutting if you are on an acreage. Snow clearing as well.

I'm not trying to put anyone down if they prefer that lifestyle.
I just found out it was not for me any longer.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
about $95 / mo, in town now all in.

Had friends who bought a raw acreage a few years back, by the time he drilled a well and put in a septic system he was at $27,000 and that's up front out of pocket money, that's about the same as 27 years worth of water and sewer in town, not to mention garbage and recycle pickup. Now this is assuming he doesn't have any problems over the next 27 years and has to start to replace pumps, pressure tanks etc.

If you take a young couple who has a mortgage when they build and you add the cost of that on top of the mortgage over 25 years, that $27K becomes $54K or more depending on interest rates, so that puts them over $2K per year, just saying
Small price to pay for living on an acreage outside of any big city in my opinion
Old 02-10-2019, 09:54 AM

Water/wastewater 61.71
Drainage services 49.26
Waste services 47.08

17.2 m3

In Edmonton
Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Default water

Total water, sewage and garbage ~$20/ month on Wabamun lake. Just need to haul 2 tanks of city water from Kapasiwin and drop 10 garbage bags at landfill once/month. Natural gas about $80/month. Power is only one above $100/month since deregulation by Klienken.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:16 AM

My last monthly water bill was $132.11.

Of that $11.48 was for 4.8 cubic meters of water and $6.13 was sewer surcharge based on water use.

Enviro levy $4.50
Garbage pickup (weekly) $20
Infrastructure levy $25
Base water rate $53
Base sewer rate $12

Best part is if you dare drink the tap water it tastes just like you accidentally sucked in some swimming pool water.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Banned

Here in Legal it averages about $150.00 every two months, includes, water, sewage, garbage, recycle, snow removal, sweeping, heavy garbage ( if you can get it to the curb, it's gone). The water quality is great, no complaints.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:15 PM

Red deer for the last 5-8 years I have paid 100-130 per month depending on use. The one that ****es me off is sewer charge in the summer when I know 3/4 goes to the yard!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I can't see how you would save $280.00 per month.

My average total for all utilities per month for 2018 was about $239.00 - includes gas and electricity. Total = $2,863.78 for the year.
I only pay for gas and electricity no other bills in town they pay rediculous amounts just to have the service brought to the house now throw in the garbage, water, recycling, sewer bill it really adds up quick.plus the land taxes for just a lot and then the hope we get a good neighbour pain in the butt...

Old 02-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I only pay for gas and electricity no other bills in town they pay rediculous amounts just to have the service brought to the house now throw in the garbage, water, recycling, sewer bill it really adds up quick.plus the land taxes for just a lot and then the hope we get a good neighbour pain in the butt...
Well maybe that's part the reason I like it where I am. Maybe I got lucky, but the neighbours are great. Haven't had one issue. Have a block party every summer and many get togethers during the year.

I could leave for a week with my house doors wide open and nothing would be touched by them or anyone else.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Our village understandably began charging more for sewer service years ago. I get how everything costs more. Makes me laugh though, when my bill indicates I'm being charged for "sewerage consumption". Funny, but I can't recall consuming any sewage.
You pay for water coming in, and you pay again when it leaves.
Still not feeling as ####ed over as the poor slobs who got hooked up to fresh water delivery utilities, and had town wells shut in, like the Highway 21 corridor.