Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Default 7mm 08 vs 308 win

I know there has been a pile of discussion on this comparison. However, I would like to here from those who have had experience with both. The reason is I am looking for a rifle for my 13 yr old next year. I have a 308 he can use but the gun is a bit heavy for him.

1) In a sporter model is the recoil of the 7-08 significantly lower than the 308
2) Is the 7 08 more accurate and flatter shooting in general ( all other factors considered of course)

I've read a lot of good things about this round and was wondering if it is worth replacing the 308. Some have suggested a .243 but I consider it a bit under powered for the purposes we will need it for.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 PM

Do you handload?

What purpose do you need it for?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM

I and many others on the board hunt moose, elk and deer with the 7-08 and in the right hands and the right bullet it will do what you want it to do..

As far as flatter and faster if you reload maybe but again it is not the tool it is the carpenter..

Good luck with what ever you decide. I know allot of people say a .243 is too light but with a good bullet and shot placement it will also do the job.

g73
Old 11-30-2010, 06:36 PM

In rifles of equal specifications I doubt there is much difference in recoil from a 140 gr. 7mm bullet vs a 150gr. from a 30 cal. Both are traveling in the area of 2800 fps +/-, the 7mm would likely have a better BC than the 308. Both are outstanding cartridges.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:39 PM

My son has been shooting a 7-08 for two years now (he is now 14) and he loves that rifle. There is no secret that the 7mm bullets are awesome shooters. I find the recoil on 7-08 to be noticeably less than the .308. I have been loading it with 139 gr bullets and he has knocked everything that he has fired it at down with no problems. It is a flat shooter and the young fella has no problems with it's mild recoil. I strongly recommend this cartridge for all young shooters. I only wish that it was around when I started out.
If your young person would like to give it a try, I am in the Edmonton area and I am sure we could arrange an outing.

Thunder

Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder/FX View Post
My son has been shooting a 7-08 for two years now (he is now 14) and he loves that rifle. There is no secret that the 7mm bullets are awesome shooters. I find the recoil on 7-08 to be noticeably less than the .308. I have been loading it with 139 gr bullets and he has knocked everything that he has fired it at down with no problems. It is a flat shooter and the young fella has no problems with it's mild recoil. I strongly recommend this cartridge for all young shooters. I only wish that it was around when I started out.
If your young person would like to give it a try, I am in the Edmonton area and I am sure we could arrange an outing.

Thunder
That is a very kind offer and thank you but I live in central Sask. Your advice is very welcome and I just may have to get one and find a load that works for him.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM

This is one that can be debated in many kinds of ways, I'll try to keep its as objective as possible.

The 7mm-08 will have 16% less recoil in similar rifles (give or take a few % points).

The 7mm-08 will have about +100 fps in a bullet with the same sectional density (140 grain 7mm and a 165 gr 308) So the 7mm will shoot flatter.

The 308 will penetrate more as penetration is dictated by speed (before all you guys get your blood pressure up this is a comparison at similar sectional densities and if bullets were all created equal between calibers)

Both have a great selection of bullets, if you reload the 7mm would be better IMO for a young hunter and its one that they will never grow out of if they so choose. If you don't reload 308 all the way. Both will be good for anything in Sask.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post

The 308 will penetrate more as penetration is dictated by speed (before all you guys get your blood pressure up this is a comparison at similar sectional densities and if bullets were all created equal between calibers)
Explain the science behind that theory. It's a doozy.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM

We'd get along just fine you and I.

Btw, great job at your shoot!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 PM

let's meet up at the rifle rodeo and laugh at the yupsters together!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:21 PM

Well I went through the same dilemma a year ago for my daughter. She was 14 at the time and was looking for her first hunting rifle of her own. She weighs about 110 lbs and doesn't like carrying a heavy rifle all day, but can shoot a box of ammo through my SMLE .303 without flinching. Having uses and liked both calibers, it was a tough decision. I ended up getting her an old Cooey in .308. One of the reasons is that I can buy factory load reduced recoil ammo and she can eventually shoot large game where a thirty caliber excels. She skipped over the reduced recoil stuff and went right to the 165 grain Federals. However, she whines if she has to carry it too far. Each kid is different. Although both calibers are great, I would take the .308 any time over the 7mm-08.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:53 AM

French vs Mexican Vanilla

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk