Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2014, 08:57 PM

Default serious heartburn help

my dad has always had huge issues with heartburn, and has taken medication since I was young. I feel like I have been hit by a bus. I love bourbon, whiskey and spicy food, all bad, and I get it. I quit chewing a week ago due to the 25 a can can cost, and im dying here!!!! I have the cough, weird feeling in my arms at times, blurry eye sight

any natural cures, I the drugs. cut back on the spices already, not one for greasy food. limited my pop , stress..well don't ask.

im desperate and open!!!!

thanks guys
Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Are you looking for heartburn relief? or having a stroke?

I used to get heartburn thinking about a beer. Forget hot stuff etc.

I went to the doc. asked for Zithramax [sp]. It's an antibiotic, very strong. Take it for one week. No more heartburn. Frank's Red hot sauce, I put that.....

I just have not had the burn for years.
Google it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 PM

as for the heart burn ask your doctor for "tecta" it may not be natural but it works and for the other problems try eating more fruits and veggies and go for a walk in the evening each day would be a start
Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 PM

I'm taking prescription Tecta for heartburn, and it whoops it something good.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:09 PM

thanks guys. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit, and work out dailey, and a very physical job. I am addicted to red hot!!! who knew I hit 30 this year and things are falling apart!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM

Here's a home remedy that I have success with: baking soda. It helps neutralize the acidity in your stomach. Might be worth a shot. Mix with milk. 1 tsp to a cup of milk. Tastes nasty but might help.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Default heartburn help

You may think im crazy but a good way to suppress heartburn is to take a tablespoon of white vinegar.It is nasty for 5 seconds but it will give relief in about 5-10 minutes.Alot cheaper and more effective than over the counter antacids.What do you have to lose by trying?Let me know how it works out for ya!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 PM

I'd go see a doctor for a prescription. One thing to think about, when you take an antacid, like Tums, it will help for a bit, but then you will actually produce even more acid to bring your stomach pH back down. And if you take other drugs, it can have a drastic effect on their effectiveness. First to come to mind is aspirin, but there are many others. Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. So popping an aspirin (acid) and a tums (base) will not be doing you any good. Not just making this up, I have 4 years of university organic and inorganic chemistry.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 PM

Heart burn that does not respond to typical cures may be the result of a bacterial infection in the stomach ( H. pylori ). It can be diagnosed with a simple blood test that looks for antibodies. Also, you may just have acid reflux due to a weak sphincter valve at the top of your stomach.

These are easily treatable but you've got to go see a doctor. However, you may have gotten a terrible case of VD and the infection has spread all the way from your dick to your esophagus. Amputation is the only treatment for that.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM

The baking soda suggestion is no different than Tums. I was going through so many Tums before a Dr asked me the right questions that it was ridiculous. I kept a bottle of them everywhere. The acid reflux was damaging my throat to the point that other issues were able to attack it. The Tecta reduces the acid you produce, so the problem is stopped at the source, rather than just masking a symptom and risking bad side effects from the untreated reflux.

See a Dr and get fixed up properly.

Savage had another point, there's an esophageal sphincter at your stomach's entrance, those can have a variety of things happen to them. I have a picture of mine
Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The baking soda suggestion is no different than Tums. I was going through so many Tums before a Dr asked me the right questions that it was ridiculous. I kept a bottle of them everywhere. The acid reflux was damaging my throat to the point that other issues were able to attack it. The Tecta reduces the acid you produce, so the problem is stopped at the source, rather than just masking a symptom and risking bad side effects from the untreated reflux.

See a Dr and get fixed up properly.
booking an appointment tomm, thanks guy a lot!!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post
Heart burn that does not respond to typical cures may be the result of a bacterial infection in the stomach ( H. pylori ). It can be diagnosed with a simple blood test that looks for antibodies. Also, you may just have acid reflux due to a weak sphincter valve at the top of your stomach.

These are easily treatable but you've got to go see a doctor. However, you may have gotten a terrible case of VD and the infection has spread all the way from your dick to your esophagus. Amputation is the only treatment for that.
have crabs not vd!!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
Good to hear, I've even heard that long term untreated heartburn can lead to throat cancer. Don't mess around. Glad you quit the chew, that could just compound the issue.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Good to hear, I've even heard that long term untreated heartburn can lead to throat cancer. Don't mess around. Glad you quit the chew, that could just compound the issue.
miss the chew a lot....quit smoking 6 years ago, started chewing full time since last fall. way harder to quit!!! hope to see the doc tomm
Old 03-02-2014, 09:33 PM

20+ years ago I saw an episode of 60 minutes where I believe it was a Texas high school (or even perhaps schools State-wide & regionally nearby) had piles of young men who had missing teeth, holes in their lips and mouths and gum problems from chewing tobacco. It was bizarre & shocking to see in people not even yet eligible to vote.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Gone Hunting

"Heart burn that does not respond to typical cures may be the result of a bacterial infection in the stomach ( H. pylori )"

This is why I got the Zithramax.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Lemon juice
Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 PM

Quitting the chew brought on a good month of serious heartburn for me. Buddy that quit just before me had the same issues. Tough it out. I havnt chewed for 3 yr now. Just getting to where I don't think about a chew every day. When I do, like now lol. It's not as sever craving. The first 6 months drove me totally nuts. Bad enough to realize never to chew again.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think that is a good plan. I read that your Dad had heartburn issues but didn't read that you had it. The symptoms that you described sound like something else is going on......"I have the cough, weird feeling in my arms at times, blurry eye sight." I would definitely ask a Dr about it if it were me, that's why they get the big bucks. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
my dad has always had huge issues with heartburn, and has taken medication since I was young. I feel like I have been hit by a bus. I love bourbon, whiskey and spicy food, all bad, and I get it. I quit chewing a week ago due to the 25 a can can cost, and im dying here!!!! I have the cough, weird feeling in my arms at times, blurry eye sight

any natural cures, I the drugs. cut back on the spices already, not one for greasy food. limited my pop , stress..well don't ask.

im desperate and open!!!!

thanks guys
FFS... get to a hospital!!!

You just described a classic heart attack.

And have someone else do the driving.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post

X2
Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 AM

I should have noticed that too, too much skimming. Those are textbook heart attack symptoms. Get to a Dr/hospital pronto.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Banned

Does anyone know how to get ahold of the guy?

******...I hope its a false alarm.

OK...I tried a PM.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 03-03-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 AM
Banned

After I posted and giving it a bit of thought, I pm'd the guy about 11 pm-ish(?). His light was on but he didn't reply. It could be that he decided to go to the hospital to get checked out.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 AM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:

X3 Get checked out ASAP!!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:

X4. Definitely get checked out ASAP.

I was prescribed Tecta as well after getting the "heartburn" dealt with.

Last edited by JohninAB; 03-03-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 AM

Don't know how I missed it either, but it sounds like more than heartburn. A heart attack has been suggested, which I'm not familiar with, but I am familiar with stroke symptoms, which you may be having. Had a stroke when I was 25 years old, crushed an artery to my brain and had to learn to walk again. I waited over a day before seeing a doctor, crawling around on my hands an knees, not knowing why I was so sick. I got very lucky. Went unconscious in the ER waiting room.
As for symptoms, not all are classical, I thought I had bad food poisoning. It was a sympathetic response to the lack of oxygen to my brain. My only classical symptom was my loss of balance, the rest were flu-like, or more like food poisoning.

As suggested, get to a hospital! Not something to play around with! As you probably have noticed a lot of people on here, myself included, hope you're doing okay.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 03-03-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 AM

thanks for all the concerns guys!! I DID go to the hospital last night to see what was going on. As I was online last night I was feeling worse and my wife asked if I was ok and I said no. she panicked, her dad past @ 53 in august of a heart attack, so I grabbed the neighbor, she was on her way for her night shift there anyway.

so the deal is I have an extreme case of acid reflux. I had pins and needles in my legs , racing heart, light head, and racing heart. the acid has burned the back of my throat to an extreme level. the acid is traveling back into my lungs and may have caused an infection around the lining of my heart. the doc would not give me any medication yet as he felt that it may cause damage to my throat, and the way it looks im in the running for cancer in a big way!! the ear nose and throat guy came in but got paged away after about 2 minutes, when he looked at my throat he jumped back and said he was in shock. there was a lot of debate about the way I quite chewing....I went cold turkey from 1.5 cans a day.

I am going to get in with my own doc asap to start figuring this all out. I was warned that with the severity it could cause a heart attack if the heart palpitations got bad enough. I thought this crap only happened to old people guess reality has learned me real good
Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the update bhguy, we're glad the relevant medical professionals are on top of things.

Now who was it that started the thread about getting rid of General Discussion again???
Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Banned

Default good result

Glad your still serviceable , get well soon .