Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 AM

Default first SVT-40 - how to release the bolt?

My wifes grandfather is ageing rapidly and he came to the point where he was unable to get out shooting anymore. So he split up his substantial collection amongst myself and his two grand-sons. So the two guns I was given from his collection were a 1940 SVT-40 and an SKS in a black Tapco stock. My questions are regarding the SVT which I don't know much about. The one thing I could not figure out was how to release the bolt after locking the action open. I have not had the chance to shoot the gun yet so I have just been exploring it a bit and trying to figure it out. I did find a very small little tab that I had to mess around with to get the bolt to close. Is there another way to release the bolt that does not involve being on the range?
Old 07-16-2018, 06:12 AM

https://youtu.be/mW90aOEQSrE

Watch this video by Hickok45.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:27 AM

Should be able to press down on the magazine follower, pull back on the bolt and it should release (watch your fingers). Another way would be remove the mag, pull back on bolt and it should go forward.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
Should be able to press down on the magazine follower, pull back on the bolt and it should release (watch your fingers). Another way would be remove the mag, pull back on bolt and it should go forward.
2x

but expect a jam or two when shooting
Old 07-16-2018, 12:18 PM

Nope, no jams. I have an SVT-40 rifle and love it. It’s like sks on steroids. Clean it well, make sure that there is no gunk in a port and set it for 3. Go buy some cheap surplus ammo and shoot the crap out of it. Clean and repeat often.
Make sure you are using hearing protection- this gun is LOUD!!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:16 AM

I had the chance to shoot my brother in laws SVT and if I had fillings it would have rattled them right out! My grandpa threw in a large metal ammo case full of surplus ammo as well as 700 rounds of 7.62x39. Then yesterday for helping move a couple safes I had a Savage 93r in .17hmr given to me.

How difficult is it to find soft point 7.62x54r for hunting purposes?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerynut View Post
How difficult is it to find soft point 7.62x54r for hunting purposes?
Easy to find ammo but get a better hunting rifle. SVTs are long, heavy, and you will get your ears rattled or bleeding when shooting it without muffs.. Mine is accurate enough to hunt, but id rather have something with a scope and less awkward to carry. If its all you can afford have at it..