Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2007, 05:57 PM

Default McLeod River between Cadomin and Hwy 47?

Hey all, going out near cadomin in a few weeks, just wondering if anyone has fished the river there recently. I'm not much of a river/stream fisherman but since I'm there I want to try. Any suggestions on where along the river to go, or where is the best access? Also, what to try and use? I just got a fly rod, and a couple flies so that's a possibility, but I've also heard you can just use spinners or little spoons? Reply or PM or email me at
soccer_sixteen(at)hotmail.com
Thanks,

Rifle
Old 06-30-2007, 05:56 PM
-NDN-

probably better to fish it off Hinton Robb road. Not my favorite time of year for upper Mcleod, but it makes nice getaway for those days you just cant stand city life

Spinners should work for the bullies, attractor patterns for dry flies should get ou some Athabows and brookies in that area you headed too.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:13 PM

Thanks a lot for the info BB, really helpful. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are attractor patterns?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:02 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle View Post
Thanks a lot for the info BB, really helpful. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are attractor patterns?

Attractor patterns: yellow and red Humpies, Royal Trudes, Royal Coachman, Royal Wulff, Stuff like that, i think the upper McLeod is to small and to cold of a river to use big massive hopper patterns like Turks, and Joes, until its warranted. size #14 and #16's should suit you fine. I think in the morning to Mid afternoon you should run a bead head nymph under an indicator until the water warms up or until you see some kind of a hatch going on. Like a Pheasant Tail, Hare's Ear, Prince, Lightning Bug, basically the standards, all with bead heads. I do not know the present water conditions. So i cannot help you much. big rabbit strip streamers glammed up with gold or silver coneheads are a decent choice for Bullies too. colors like white/green/pink, or black/white/purple are some of my favorite ties for that area when I actually do get to go. If you going for bullies right now dont try to to fish undercut banks, log jams, anywhere with structure. But dont get hopes up if the water is all crappy. You can apply this all to the Little SMoky river too by the way in late summer/fall
Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 AM

Default McLeod River between Cadomin and Hwy 47?

Some friends were up that way fishing a while back.
They said they caught a few using a Panther Martin spinner
with a silver blade.

Luv ol' Rancid, one of the best friends a guy could have
growing up. LOL