Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 PM

Exclamation Early Season pike fishing

Does anyone know any decent ponds to catch pike near Calgary? I know there are a few places but everything seems to be closed until mid may or is just too far of a drive with no guarantee of even catching anything . I just wanna get out as soon as the ice clears, hopefully get a few on the fly rod! Thanks!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchat12 View Post
Does anyone know any decent ponds to catch pike near Calgary? I know there are a few places but everything seems to be closed until mid may or is just too far of a drive with no guarantee of even catching anything . I just wanna get out as soon as the ice clears, hopefully get a few on the fly rod! Thanks!
Most lakes are closed because that is when they spawn. Will still be lots of good spring fishing after the season opens up.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:00 PM

I gotcha thanks! I know that's when they spawn so maybe it's better if I don't disrupt that but still figured there's gotta be some place that's open to fish. I'm all about catch and release anyways.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I gotcha thanks! I know that's when they spawn so maybe it's better if I don't disrupt that but still figured there's gotta be some place that's open to fish. I'm all about catch and release anyways.
Oh wait got to PCR lol. Don't think there is much for pike but you can catch walleye to your hearts content and even keep a few. Might as well go and join the masses and help fish it out haha.

There might be the odd pike lake but won't be many and if anyone knows one doubt they will post but if you research might be able to find something.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM

Dalmead, PCR and I Think Bruce lake are all good.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:18 PM

Ok thanks! I might end up making a trip to PCR or Dalmead cuz it's a bit closer
Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 PM

There are a few good resources and then do some homework. Look in the regs for Open All Year lakes. Cross reference the Alberta Fishing Guiide to the regs for places not listed in the regs. Go to Google earth and look for lakes not in the regs. If all that fails just head to Pcr like the other million Calgarians. Lol. There are places out there but as you see some of us post you will find the best ones on your own time or run into several like me fishing these places.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM

True... I've been lookin at maps of the area surrounding Calgary and I've heard some good things about Langdon and Chestermere and all the small ponds around there. Anyone know anything about that? I guess ya don't know until ya go so I might as well just drive northeast until I find some fishy water
Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 PM

There are several north and east. Good start now just follow the canals is another tip for you. Several lead to places that hold fish that you can fish early season.

Quote:
True... I've been lookin at maps of the area surrounding Calgary and I've heard some good things about Langdon and Chestermere and all the small ponds around there. Anyone know anything about that? I guess ya don't know until ya go so I might as well just drive northeast until I find some fishy water
Old 03-21-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
There is quite a bit of good pike fishing near Calgary. Basically travel south and/or east and you will run into some reasonable pike waters. Most of these lakes open on May 8. Until about the end of June, a fly rod is one of the best ways to catch pike. Starting around July, however, the pike tend to go to deeper water.

I know. It is painful and there are 7 more weeks to go.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:25 PM

Ok awesome! I'm usually a trout bum but after a trip to florida to chase some poon on the fly I'm now addicted to seeing big fish smashing my streamer in shallow water! But at this point I'd even settle for 20" pike I just wanna get out, but it sounds like I might have to wait for a bit...
Old 03-22-2017, 07:14 AM

Check the enchant and taber areas. Lost Lake, Taber Lake, horsefly (I think), cross coulee, yellow lake.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 PM

Ok I might look into those too!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:25 PM

The Bow river contains pike in some areas. Just remember that with the new regs, you can't keep anything.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:24 PM

Ya I've seen a few pike in the bow but just not the numbers I'm looking for thanks for the idea if all else fails I'll probably end up fishing the bow

Tags
calgary area, flyfishing, pike on fly