Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM

Default Reel size?

My ice fishing reel for pike crapped the bed the other day and I'm in the market for another one. I've pretty much decided to get a Pflueger President, and I'd like it to be such a size that I could run 6-8lb mono on it for trout and walleye in the summer, and 10 lb line for pike in the winter... preferably mono as well.

I handled the 6930 size today and it seemed like it would work, but I wouldn't mind going a bit smaller if I can. I've never handled the next size down, the 6925, and am wondering if trying to run 10 lb mono on a reel this small is a good idea or not.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 PM

You may want to rethink the Pflueger for an ice reel...especially for Pike. You will thank me.

Ok reel for the summer months though.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:22 PM

The local CT had the Okuma Fina 30 on sale from $90 down to $25 (in Sherwood Park). Other CT locations had them at $39. I picked up a couple and they seem like decent reels for the money. Might be a good option.

As far as size, most 25 and 30 size reels are the same physical size but the spool is slightly different. For ice fishing I generally find that a smaller reel is fine as I don't need 100's of yards of line for vertical jigging. I guess you may need more capacity if you are fishing 100 ft for lakers. Even still, a 25 size would be fine.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-14-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
You may want to rethink the Pflueger for an ice reel...especially for Pike. You will thank me.

Ok reel for the summer months though.
Why's that? I never had any issues with my Trion.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:48 PM

I have a used a couple times Pflueger Trion GX7 I would trade anyone for 2 of those Okuma Fina that SamSteele metioned. Also has PowerPro on it
Old 03-14-2017, 10:42 PM

I use a Pflueger President in a 6920x - strapped on to a St. Croix premier ice rod and it is awesome. The power pro ice line 50 yard spool is just right for that size spool or equivalent mono. I like the weight of it at under 6 oz. Reel spool size on the 6925 isn't that much bigger, but I think the physical size of the reel is a bit bigger and heavier.

6920 on amazon is $62.44 right now or fishing hole $69
Old 03-15-2017, 06:41 AM

i use plugger president have not had a problem pulled 8 lb. rainbows and 5 lb. jacks with it it a great reel
Old 03-15-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Why's that? I never had any issues with my Trion.
All my reels are Pflueger never had any issues yet

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 09:03 AM

I love my Pfluegers!
To the OP I have a 6925 brand new in the box that I would let go for $65
Old 03-15-2017, 11:23 AM

I have a pflueger asaro I bought in 2009, I use it in the NSR in the summer and ice fishing as well and it is still going stong.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcward View Post
I use a Pflueger President in a 6920x - strapped on to a St. Croix premier ice rod and it is awesome. The power pro ice line 50 yard spool is just right for that size spool or equivalent mono. I like the weight of it at under 6 oz. Reel spool size on the 6925 isn't that much bigger, but I think the physical size of the reel is a bit bigger and heavier.

6920 on amazon is $62.44 right now or fishing hole $69
I run 6920s on all my ice rods, no problems. Don't care for any reel extra weight. Picked up a couple slightly larger Supremes for open water but still sometimes use a smaller reel too.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I love my Pfluegers!
To the OP I have a 6925 brand new in the box that I would let go for $65
I like them too. I've tried a pretty good selection of reels in the $40- $80 range and IMO Pfluegers seem to be the best. Now that I've got myself and 3 fisherlady's to supply gear for I figured if I'm going to have a dozen reels kicking around, eventually they may as well all be Presidents.

I'll think about that 6925.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I run 6920s on all my ice rods, no problems. Don't care for any reel extra weight. Picked up a couple slightly larger Supremes for open water but still sometimes use a smaller reel too.
Do you use the 6920's for pike?

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-15-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Daiwa Lexa

If you can find a Daiwa Lexa on sale, that would be my choice over the president. I have both and prefer the Lexa. That being said, the President is a good and reliable reel.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
If you can find a Daiwa Lexa on sale, that would be my choice over the president. I have both and prefer the Lexa. That being said, the President is a good and reliable reel.
Yeah, I'm a Daiwa fan myself. I've was considering trying a Regal, I have a BG15 which is an indestructible tank of a reel and one of my favorites. I also considered trying a Penn Fierce, but I'm leaning towards the Pflueger simply because it far more widely available. If I could get another BG without importing it out of the states that would be my first choice.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

Do you use the 6920's for pike?
I don't target pike specifically but of course end up catching them walleye fishing. I use 6-8 lb fluorocarbon and just let the drag do it's thing.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I don't target pike specifically but of course end up catching them walleye fishing. I use 6-8 lb fluorocarbon and just let the drag do it's thing.
I do that as well, but the particular reel I am replacing was specifically for ice fishing for pike. I've been using my walleye reel and 8lb line for much of this season, its pretty fun but when you've got a 40 incher on, stronger line makes it a lot easyer to steer them up the hole.