Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Whats up with used gun prices?

So I'm try to find a compact rifle for my daughter and have been looking at all the usual used gun sites. It seems to me used gun prices are out of line with new. In fact I have seen many adds were the asking is the same or more than new! I would think that if a rifle is 1,000 new (800 on sale) then a used mint should be 650-700 and used good should be 500-600. Am I missing something cause this make no sense?
Old 03-08-2019, 09:27 AM

If its the same model used asking for more than new, then that makes no sense. But sometimes an older used model has features/quality that is no longer available on a cheaper new model.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM

No, you aren't missing anything. Issue right now is many used guns are hard to find the new version of or aren't made anymore. That has caused used to go up. Then there is the whole quality thing; JM Marlins sell for more than a brand new Marlin because they were better built.

Very high quality guns like Mauser, Sauer, NULA, Cooper, Sako and the like sell for a large discount to their new price, often more than 50% off. They are where you find the deals but you are still talking north of a grand used. The cheaper stuff doesn't show near as big a dollar discount. Same thing is true with cars, a $150,000 Mercedes S class sells for $50,000 three years old with 40K on it. You can buy a new Camry for the same price and three years old it will still sell for $30,000.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:56 AM

A used gun does not make it an abused gun.

If you purchase a $!000.00 rifle from a dealer today, took it home and tried to sell it tomorrow for $850.00 you would meet some resistance in the marketplace .. because it's used.
On the other hand, If a rifle sold when new in 1985 for $1200.00 and had 30 rounds fired thru it and a seller was asking $900.00 today, Is that too much ?

There are LOTS of super high quality firearms from the 60's, 70' and 80's in the current used marketplace that are being offered at ridiculously low prices... rifles that would cost much more than the original price if they were being exactly duplicated and manufactured today.
The key is to do some research.By doing that you will find some real jewels
that are priced well below their true value. New does not mean better.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:10 AM

I agree with your used pricing logic. Used gun prices have been out of whack for awhile now. I see used Sako's, Christensen's, Kimbers for more than I can buy one new. Also Many people trying to sell their used Remington's, Winchesters, Rugers, Savages, Tikka's, for next to new price or more and people are buying them. The good news is there is still deals out there if you watch closely. Over the last 4 years (not so much the last yr) I have had fun playing... bought and tried and then sold approx. 12 rifles (7 new, 5 used) and I am up $100 when all said and done. lol Also bought another 6 that I have kept. I am thinking I should have invested in many guns a few years ago when our dollar was at par!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
I agree with your used pricing logic. Used gun prices have been out of whack for awhile now. I see used Sako's, Christensen's, Kimbers for more than I can buy one new. Also Many people trying to sell their used Remington's, Winchesters, Rugers, Savages, Tikka's, for next to new price or more and people are buying them. The good news is there is still deals out there if you watch closely. Over the last 4 years (not so much the last yr) I have had fun playing... bought and tried and then sold approx. 12 rifles (7 new, 5 used) and I am up $100 when all said and done. lol Also bought another 6 that I have kept. I am thinking I should have invested in many guns a few years ago when our dollar was at par!
That's one factor I didn't consider in my post., Currency exchange. All pricing in the Canadian used market is in CAN $$. When you buy new in Canada the pricing is in the Canadian equivalent of the USD. That's over 30% more right there.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Default then

There's high end guns at good prices people can't sell..........recession.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Banned

As well private sales are always 'buyer beware'.
I've sold things that I priced high because it's been an item I don't really use but am not desperate for the cash. If someone doesn't do their due diligence and pays me what I'm asking for...so what.
I don't buy anything...even at the retail level without doing some price checking.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Banned

If you think buying guns is tough, try selling a few. It can be a nightmare.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:45 AM
Banned

In the early 1970's I purchased 2 Remington Mohawk rifles in .243 winch and .308 Winch for $99 each brand newout of the box at hardware store, also a Rem 600 bolt action .350 Rem Mag, those same rifles today in good working condition are near 10 times the dollar value

I still have Rem 700 BDL 30-06 from the same era I paid $179 brand new, it's fired maybe 20 rounds, killed 3 or 4 moose and elk,,,

I wouldn't take less than a thousand for it, Rem don't make anything that quality or aesthetically desirable for any price today,,

There you go, value explained
Old 03-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbBoneCollector View Post
So I'm try to find a compact rifle for my daughter and have been looking at all the usual used gun sites. It seems to me used gun prices are out of line with new. In fact I have seen many adds were the asking is the same or more than new! I would think that if a rifle is 1,000 new (800 on sale) then a used mint should be 650-700 and used good should be 500-600. Am I missing something cause this make no sense?
I’ll bite Mr 2 post, I’ve got some screaming deals, just gotta pay attention, some guys ain’t serious like if it’s been bumped a hundred times, move on, most guys will come down in price too, if not, move on.
Common sense plays a big factor, go on early in the morning, good deals don’t last.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:50 AM

Like Bob, I don’t need to sell, nor is profit a motive. So, I value my guns based on what they are worth to me. If I have valued a gun that is not moving and I decide I want to sell it, I will bump the price until I reach my new bottom line. Sometimes an item will not move even though it is offered at a fair price because there are no potential buyers for that particular item.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:56 AM

I think the bases have been covered in the replies so far but overall..yeah...the price of used guns can be perplexing. Like someone else suggested, it can be a matter of a seller who is only half-interested in the first place. Sometimes it's the rarity of a gun, how desirable a model/year it is, etc. Certain guns like Winchester 94s just seem to go up every year, military surplus guns too..sometimes more than every year depending on the model. Marlin 39s, CZ 452s~lots of them selling used for what they cost new, often significantly more in the case of older guns like the '39.

For myself, I do allot of shopping to make sure I know what a given model costs new, what the asking prices are on used ones (As many as I can track down) and make my decisions from there. I do pick the gun first if I'm being honest, then double-down on getting the best price new OR used.

Selling~unless it's rare/discontinued/highly desirable...I first consider 75% of the pre-tax price and go from there +/-. I never try to sell with extra mags, scope, scope rings etc. Too many people assume it's a fire sale and you'll "throw in" scope/scope rings/bipod/spare mag etc. Always separate, and list separately.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Their stuff, their price. They get to keep it if it is priced too high.
Buy new, if it such a good price.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:18 PM

I’ve made some awesome deals on used guns both on here and CGN over the last few months, there’s deals out there, a guy just needs to know what he’s looking at though..

Jim..
Old 03-08-2019, 01:41 PM

Default used gun prices

If you are looking to get a rifle at a low price point, look at Tradex. They are superb to deal with.
They have loads of swedish M96 sporters in 6.5x55 for modest prices. If you search, some have shortened LOP, shorter barrel etc. Great caliber for a youth to start with. My son got his first deer this fall with an old M98 sporter in that chambering.
If new rifles were built to the quality/fit/finish standards of these old mausers today, their cost would be breathtaking.
Vance
Old 03-08-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbBoneCollector View Post
Post a WTB ad if you don't get any bites for your price buy new.
I know guys that have been looking for that "deal" for 20 years never end up buying anything, for a couple hundred bucks why stress out.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:09 PM

Used prices are they way they are because the market allows it. I have sold a few rifles recently for far more than I purchased them for. Any rifle I sell will be sold at what the market will bear, and that may be much higher than than I think they are worth.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:25 PM

Part of the problem is in September guys get the itch to hunt and think man it would be nice to have a new rifle, they go to there local shop or box store buy everything under the sun shoot the thing a couple times hunt a season or two then decide to sell. Problem being they payed way to much to begin with because they had the itch. Then they want to sell it for new minus taxes. Best thing is just tell the guy straight up what you think it worth and back it up with some comapairables make them an standing offer and wait, 80% of the time they PM back and want to sell after a while. I make sure I research prices and screenshot comaprables to show guys the real world values. The tikka stainless compacts are hard to find guys are even trying to sell the stocks for over $200. I finally found one for $700 used but it took a couple years.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:10 PM

i am running into a similar issue with my wife, she is 5'3 and hard to find a gun that fits (especially by the time she layers on her hunting clothes)

i have had my eye on a marlin 336youth from doctordeals for 649, but lately have had a better idea (if your handy)

tradex has m98 and m96 mausers in decent shape for as low as 250 dollars,
you need to root through the whole stock to find a really nice one for that low but i can pm you some links to a couple i have bookmarked.
the 96 mausers are very accurate in the 6.5swede and while some may need some stock refinishing, it is a pretty straightforward process to trim an inch or so off the stock, knock the barrel back too 19-20" and throw an ok scope on it (some already have older fixed 4x scopes)
such a rifle should last her a very long time.
all that said, i would only trust the 96 mauser in the 6.5 swede chambering, they did some questionable work modifying the feed ramps to make them feed 30-06.
if you want her shooting a 30-06 they have a few decent m98s but they are moving up around 350 dollars.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:10 AM

I have a nice little .243 Winchester model 670a with a straight 6 power Leupold scope that I fluted the barrel, powder coated and put a synthetic stock on. I have the original blonde stock for it as well that I’d sell for $650.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:56 AM

Think the economy is coming into play. The prices at the recent Olds auction were quite reasonable.

Grizz
Old 03-09-2019, 08:24 AM

There are some good deals out there, if a person is patient. Some people pay too much, and are hoping to recover what they spent.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Think the economy is coming into play. The prices at the recent Olds auction were quite reasonable.

Grizz

Out of curiosity, who held that sale, and what are their fees?

I’ve never been to a gun auction, but have a couple of dozen pieces that I’m going to have part with before long and I absolutely detest packing and shipping. I’m either going to go with consigning them or perhaps auction if the fees aren’t too great.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:33 AM

Default Stiga 270

Hi I just picked up a Stiga 270 win from Trade ex. Price $270, I haven't been out to shoot it yet, as it's been too damn cold. Shivers don't make for a good group. Picked up a Federal Blue box of 130gr shells, if it can't produce a decent group with those, well!!! No Fear if it's lasted 50 yrs it will last 50 more.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Hi I just picked up a Stiga 270 win from Trade ex. Price $270, I haven't been out to shoot it yet, as it's been too damn cold. Shivers don't make for a good group. Picked up a Federal Blue box of 130gr shells, if it can't produce a decent group with those, well!!! No Fear if it's lasted 50 yrs it will last 50 more.
I HATE TRAD EX! Those two , Tony and Anthony ( I can never get them two straight!) have WAY too many good deals on their website!
Drives me nutz every time I look at it, good thing I have a semblance of self control or I would be forever broke!
Been dealing with those two for many years, worse than crack dealers tel ya!
Cat
Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I HATE TRAD EX! Those two , Tony and Anthony ( I can never get them two straight!) have WAY too many good deals on their website!
Drives me nutz every time I look at it, good thing I have a semblance of self control or I would be forever broke!
Been dealing with those two for many years, worse than crack dealers tel ya!
Cat
GREAT post, absolutely true.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:35 PM

I think the asking price is too high on a lot of things listed online for sale, like canoes, tools, firearms. I’m not afraid to email someone and say you’re asking $800 I think $700 is an accurate value, let me know if your interested. If they don’t like that then they don’t email me back, no harm. But if they do email me back I’m serious and not just kicking tires.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:11 PM

There are some people asking insane prices and there are some great bargains be had as well. You need to know your prices and I find it helps to be patient...
It is always buyer beware.

As the buyer you always have the ability to make an offer- or simply pass if you think the price is nuts.

I agree with the OP's price ranges but they only apply to currently available firearms. For example many used Tikka t3 rifles are now showing up in the $600 ish range but rare calibers (or in my case stainless lefties in rare calibers) may fetch $1000 while standards go for $7-750.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup some think the ol' enfield is a 600 dollar riffffle.....

Keep searching you will find someone sensible with what you want.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...