Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
That's a load of bull. The Oilers put themselves in this position by their win/loss record. Same thing every year, lose a bunch of games and then hopefully squeak in. If you have to count on other teams losing for you to make the playoffs when you didn't play good enough during the season. Blaming it on the refs is a cop out. Don't get yourself in this position in the first place. Win more games and a questionable call will be irrelevant.There is a saying in the fight game " don't leave it to the judges"
Not speaking of your take on the Oilers side of things, but since you quoted something in regards to Tkachuck, it's not total bull. It does depend on the team and in this case jersey. Can't tell me when a Tkachuck call hit's Toronto for GT interference, their minds are not already made up that it will be called off??? Anyways not to jam Flames talk here in Oilerville but this is where this topic is.
Also if things were so cut and dry of you control how things go with just doing better, What happens when the games or series is super evenly matched?? A bad call can turn the whole thing,.
Anyways as you were.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:52 PM

I don't mind the odd missed call (ref's are human) and I would actually like to see the offside challenge gone. The reason I am ok with a few missed calls is the game is moving very fast and they are split seconds decisions... but when they go to a review and can watch the replay and discuss it, and still blow the call, that is very frustrating. Also what is considered interference or holding or roughing during the season is called differently in the playoffs leaving the coaching staff confused on what to actually challenge.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I don't mind the odd missed call (ref's are human) and I would actually like to see the offside challenge gone. The reason I am ok with a few missed calls is the game is moving very fast and they are split seconds decisions... but when they go to a review and can watch the replay and discuss it, and still blow the call, that is very frustrating. Also what is considered interference or holding or roughing during the season is called differently in the playoffs leaving the coaching staff confused on what to actually challenge.
I actually appreciate the way the off side is now. (With the 2 minute penalty) they should look at doing the same thing to goalie interference.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I agree. Let’s get back to old school. All these challenges and iPad reviews do nothing but slow the pace of the game and shift momentum.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I actually appreciate the way the off side is now. (With the 2 minute penalty) they should look at doing the same thing to goalie interference.
What I don't like is a team could enter the zone, set up, maintain possession for 20-25 seconds and then score. Then under review it is offside by an inch. How did that inch give any type of advantage to the scoring team or disadvantage to the scored on team? The rules came on the heals of Duchene being offside by 5 feet and the refs missing the call. Do they miss the odd close call? yes. But the ones that are obviously offside or giving a team an advantage are rarely missed. And to tell the truth the real missed calls happening all the time is the ref calling it offside when it isn't. Maybe those should be reviewed and if they find the call was wrong it should be an offensive face-off. Goalie interference challenges I agree with, I just wish it could be a little more consistent.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I agree. Let’s get back to old school. All these challenges and iPad reviews do nothing but slow the pace of the game and shift momentum.
And take out the instigator penalty! Then it will be the good ol’ hockey game again!

BW
Old 03-18-2019, 07:12 PM
Banned

All I have to say, is that with the Oilers headed to the playoffs, Kosk's glove hand needs a serious intervention, or we won't last long post season
Old 03-18-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
All I have to say, is that with the Oilers headed to the playoffs, Kosk's glove hand needs a serious intervention, or we won't last long post season
Good one
Old 03-19-2019, 06:05 PM

It’s snap an eleven game win streak night tonight boys. Not sure who has 11 straight wins right now though...

Last edited by Talking moose; 03-19-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 PM
Banned

Kost-da-game has been yanked, with Oil down 3-0. Out shot 20-5 first period.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Kost-da-game has been yanked, with Oil down 3-0. Out shot 20-5 first period.
Thx for the live update.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thx for the live update.
LOL I'm having trouble finding it on the tele
Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 PM
Banned

Darn, just found it on 145...and Blues just made it 5-2....So the oilers stayed overnight in Vegas after the game to get rejuvenated
Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Banned

When do you reckon we lock the door and board up the windows on this thread??
Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 PM

Yikes “ Goodnight Jim Kyte”
Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Default I’m gonna make some $$

Selling Pete Chiarelli voodoo dolls.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:21 AM
Banned

.32% chance of making the playoffs.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
It’s snap an eleven game win streak night tonight boys. Not sure who has 11 straight wins right now though...
Aaaaaaaaaand at the end of the game it was?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Drunk outside.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:

......not surprising. I can’t stand that goalie. Gawd....
Old 03-20-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
.32% chance of making the playoffs.
So there's still a chance. Let's get it together boys! Time to dominate!!
Old 03-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Banned

I wonder how long it takes the average individual to figure out that professional sports is about the most ruthless business next to organized crime and that winning isn't always part of the business model. The next move the Oilers will make is to up their ticket costs for next season, probably justified by some whiny excuse.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:44 AM
Banned

I wonder how long it takes the average individual to figure out that professional sports is about the most ruthless business next to organized crime and that winning isn't always part of the business model. I bet the next move the Oilers will make is to up their ticket costs for next season, probably justified by some whiny excuse.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
I wonder how long it takes the average individual to figure out that professional sports is about the most ruthless business next to organized crime and that winning isn't always part of the business model. I bet the next move the Oilers will make is to up their ticket costs for next season, probably justified by some whiny excuse.
Just yesterday, Nicholson held a Season Seat Event. Announced a 3% increase for most tickets. Don't know the justification, if any exists.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
Just yesterday, Nicholson held a Season Seat Event. Announced a 3% increase for most tickets. Don't know the justification, if any exists.
Can’t be for an improved product on the ice...
Old 03-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
I was at this morning’s and the explicitly noted they had not yet determined what the increase would be. Which one were you at?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Can’t be for an improved product on the ice...
Man the body language on the bench was just horrible, kinda like a funeral...leadership role needs to be handed over to a motivator....kids have talent but a leader needs to be more than that....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-20-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Man the body language on the bench was just horrible, kinda like a funeral...leadership role needs to be handed over to a motivator....kids have talent but a leader needs to be more than that....
Wearing the C means squat. Many motivators don’t wear a letter on the front. Are you more likely to listen to someone in the dressing room for a letter on their jersey or for the speakers character? A letter is just that. A letter
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
I was at this morning’s and the explicitly noted they had not yet determined what the increase would be. Which one were you at?
This report disagrees. And says the same thing as well

Some HARSH (But true) criticism in here. This organization sounds like they have horrible hiring policies.
I was stunned to read some of this.
https://thehockeywriters.com/edmonto...dnt-sway-fans/
Old 03-20-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I was stunned to read some of this.
Wow, as was I.