Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Default Buying RV's New or USed

Ive been shopping the last while for a new or used RV and am finding that people seem to be asking alot for older RV's when there is endless unitis to choose from. It seems to me the price on a slightly used RV should be lower, but people seem to be asking top dollar when Brand New units with warrantees are only slightly more. I go on kijiji every night and there is 15 new pages of units every single day, If I buy a 5 year old model I don't want to be paying 80 percent of the cost of a new one. Anyways, any thoughts are appreciated...
Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Asking too much for a depreciated RV is the same bad attitude we're seeing in the overpriced Canada real estate situation now.

Just because people overpaid in the recent extreme worldwide housing price bubble, they expect that every other greater fool should overpay too. Even though there is no fundamental reason for it. It's called 'price stickiness' and it's the reason sales volumes are down 33% to 75% in many areas (such as Calgary).
http://albertabubbleblog.blogspot.com/

That attitude of entitlement is like when people start yelling during a discussion when their argument cannot be supported by the facts. Sooner or later, they just get shunned and no one will have anything to do with them anymore. At that point you get a cascade of selling as owners realize most buyers won't have anything to do with their shyte unless prices go back down to reality.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Default RV's and pricing

Remember a lot of us bought our trailers when the difference in the dollar was a huge disadvantage comparing to today. My trailer would have been a lot less to buy in todays bucks. A lot of people I understand owe more that they are worth according to someone I know in the business. People want a lot due to the fact they are just trying to get money back. The other thing out there a lot of people are buying direct out of the U.S. There are some big savings to be had if you do your shopping. Don't be afraid to look there as well as it is easy to import and only costs a couple hundred at the border and your time and gas.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 PM

There, are plenty of deals on new RVs, with awesome financing, you can get some really good rates as far as that goes. That is always a good way to go if you know you will keep it long term. Two factors I see in long term RV ownership, is a storing it at home and not at an rv lot, second having the confidence in pulling the RV, If its too long or heavy you will be less likely to use it.

If you buy used, take your time and offer people realistic prices for an RV, if they get offended, that's there problem for not being realistic. Seen it once this year where the seller called back 2 weeks later to see if they would be willing to buy for the last offer.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

hmmmm....seems like someones a little sour by wanting something for cheap and not finding it. if you think something is overpriced, move on. if you cant find a better deal, then maybe the price wasnt so far off. whining about it wont help either way.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM

Bide your time and you will find the right one. Last year the wife and I were looking at new and used. The price of new and the finance rates were unreal. We just kept looking at kijiji and we saw a few used private sales as well as looked at a few used at the dealers. Then my step son in Lethbridge had one of his co workers ask him if he was looking for a trailer as he had mentioned he was thinking of getting one. But reality set in as he wasn't sure that his wife would have a job when she got off her maternity leave. (cut backs and closures of blood labs). But mentioned it to us. We got pics and loved the lay out. Went down and looked at it and took it on the spot. We picked up a 2008 Rockwood Roo 19 for a little less than what others wanted for 8 year old trailers of the same style. Our trailer has never been cooked in and is in showroom condition. As well it has never seen gravel roads ( has now). Heck it still had that new smell to it and it was well used. So keep your eyes and ears open and you will find the one that fits you.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Thumbs up Planning makes perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Ive been shopping the last while for a new or used RV and am finding that people seem to be asking alot for older RV's when there is endless unitis to choose from . . .
You're getting lots of good advice here ... hope yer takin' notes

As you may already know, buying and selling RV's is a very 'seasonal' thing. For the best deals, do your buying in the fall or early winter, and do your selling in the spring or early summer (a.k.a. buy low / sell high).

We did both and cleaned up very nicely when we upgraded. We got a killer deal on our new unit early last winter, and got top dollar for our used unit two weeks ago.

TF

Last edited by Selkirk; 05-27-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:00 AM

The biggest problem with RV's is most people buy them with 10 (or higher) year loans. That means, while their price seems high (and probably is), they are trying to sell for what they owe on it.

IMHO, if this is your first rv, DO NOT buy new, get one that is 5yrs old (or older). Everyone (and I mean everyone) buys their first RV and realizes they want something different. Whether it is a different floor plan, different style (MH,TT, 5er,etc), you ussually won't realize this until after a couple nights are spent in the RV. By purchasing used for your first one you won't take the depreciation hit. AND the bugs should have been worked out, which means you'll actually get to enjoy your trailer instead of troubleshooting. Every new RV (new or used) will have it's issues, but usually within the first 1-2 years most of them show up.

If this is not your first rv, buy new. Alot of things have changed to make Rving easier. Power tongue jacks, power awnings, etc.

I purchased new, and by not using their financers, I had alot more bargaining power. I ended up saving 30% compared to what they were "asking". The best time to purchase is March/april. Reason being, most people that purchase do not want to pick up the RV (or start paying for it) until end of May when they can start using it. This means that the dealerships have a high inventory of "sold" units, but little cash flow til May or later. I purchase (and paid) for mine in march but told them I want storage included til May.

Also depending on what you want, purchasing out of the states can save alot of money. I know some people that have saved upwards of $80g's by purchasing out of the states (and yes their warranty is still valid).
Old 05-28-2011, 08:08 AM

When you drive past those RV lots there tons of them on the lot, if you go in you purchase one you can have one on payment for $125.00 a month for the next 20 years. and a lot ofpeople fall into that trap.
Even last weekend on the QE2 every 3 rv was very new.

We bought a 03 26' Flagstaff fifth wheel,with a super slide for just under $11k it came with hitch , pots and pans etc. all we needed to do is load up with food and clothe and hit the road, now this was a good deal, the rv was in storage for the last 3 years and an older couple had it and never used it much.

I sold my old '99 prowler for $10k and it was nothing fancy,

It is just what people are willing to pay, and there are some great deals to be had out there even on kijiji
Old 05-28-2011, 09:56 AM

...or you could design and build your own. Either including the frame/axle, or just buying that and designing/building everything from there on up.

Frame, axle, hitch, and wiring seem fairly standard. But if you know steel work and welding and don't mind getting it certified, it would be an interesting project. It might let you get some features maybe only found in high-end expensive units or not at all. For example torsion axles, or air bag suspensions which could be adjusted according to the weight you're carrying. Or, maybe an off-road setup which has bigger tires and a higher/stronger frame. Or something that could quickly convert between a skid and wheeled vehicle. Or even a cantilevered unit that could bend in the middle to get through tight turns and track better.

Same with the cabin. Most RVs are not built for winter use (but that's where they'd be most effective). They also can't use wood for heating or boiling water, are set up for 12V or campground power instead of off-grid, have a large number of wall and ceiling openings which need to be sealed, etc.

One of the craziest things about most RV's is that you have this big enclosed climate-controlled space which can't be used for anything except sleeping and eating in. But it would be great to double up or triple up its use as both a camper and furniture/freight mover. Or even industrial use (mini tool crib) or for agricultural product that you want to keep out of the weather e.g. grain, dry hay, or calves. (Toy-haulers just have separate spaces for living and carrying stuff. I mean using the whole space for multiple purposes).

Having a tri-purpose rig would let you get way more use out of it, and justify it's cost better. Designing and building it yourself would force you to put way more thought into structure, layout, dimensions and cost. Far fewer emotional-based, oversized, overpriced purchases would be made. (Sorry, sales-guys).
Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
(Toy-haulers just have separate spaces for living and carrying stuff. I mean using the whole space for multiple purposes).
Most toy haulers you end up with a quad in your kitchen, they are not a separate space.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Asking too much for a depreciated RV is the same bad attitude we're seeing in the overpriced Canada real estate situation now.

Just because people overpaid in the recent extreme worldwide housing price bubble, they expect that every other greater fool should overpay too. Even though there is no fundamental reason for it. It's called 'price stickiness' and it's the reason sales volumes are down 33% to 75% in many areas (such as Calgary).
http://albertabubbleblog.blogspot.com/

That attitude of entitlement is like when people start yelling during a discussion when their argument cannot be supported by the facts. Sooner or later, they just get shunned and no one will have anything to do with them anymore. At that point you get a cascade of selling as owners realize most buyers won't have anything to do with their shyte unless prices go back down to reality.
price stickiness is why real estate rarely goes down,people aren't willing to sell for less than what they want or owe on a house,that puts inventories lower and raises prices.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Most toy haulers you end up with a quad in your kitchen, they are not a separate space.
http://www.northwoodmfg.com/model.ph....5%&height=98%

Hmm...I'd go more towards using the whole space for different purposes at different times, rather than just pure recreation all the time. Hoisting up the bed so a quad can be tucked underneath is not quite what I meant.

However, the back gate of the toy hauler would make a very good starting point for a multi-use project. Having already built one, it's clear one of the biggest structural problems is keeping the roof and side walls square and stiff instead of 'stacking', when the back wall has to open.

Maybe getting a used Hauler and doing some careful surgery on it might be the answer. Such as quick-release anchor points for all furniture and fittings, wall-protection panels, air bag suspension, exterior-ash wood stove and fresh air feed, and a roof full of solar panels.

Oh hell, I see another project coming on....
Old 05-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
price stickiness is why real estate rarely goes down,people aren't willing to sell for less than what they want or owe on a house,that puts inventories lower and raises prices.
Huge numbers of people world-wide got caught up in buying overpriced real estate because of artificially easy terms, but quickly went underwater or bankrupt for one reason or another..

Even after the huge U.S. crash, (and Spain, and Ireland, and Portugal, and Iceland, and Greece, and now China, and soon Italy, etc) sales volumes and prices are still going down because nobody wants to go into hock anymore just for a place to live.

If owners need to bring a cheque to closing to sell a property to move to get a job somewhere else, that's their problem - not the purchasers. If they can't do that because they don't have the cash the only solution is to rent it out into a flooded rental market subsidizing renters, or walk away. Low inventories and inflated prices only exacerbate the situation.

Prices have to drop to enable any sort of viable market, whether owners like it or not.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Someone said

...hmmmm....seems like someones a little sour by wanting something for cheap and not finding it. if you think something is overpriced, move on. if you cant find a better deal, then maybe the price wasnt so far off. whining about it wont help either way.

If I appeared sour, i did not mean to be. I was just confused as to why used prices were so high when it appears to be a buyers market. I was starting to look newer because the discount on a used unit did not warrant me bothering to look used. Heck the salesman at a couple places are saying the same thing. (granted who ever trusted a salesman) I was having troubles understanding why this was the case, when there are no end of used units to purchase. If I can find a used unit at what would be a fair price, Im all for it. But when 07` similar size and features fetches almost as much as a new then it makes the decision easy.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Huge numbers of people world-wide got caught up in buying overpriced real estate because of artificially easy terms, but quickly went underwater or bankrupt for one reason or another..

Even after the huge U.S. crash, (and Spain, and Ireland, and Portugal, and Iceland, and Greece, and now China, and soon Italy, etc) sales volumes and prices are still going down because nobody wants to go into hock anymore just for a place to live.

If owners need to bring a cheque to closing to sell a property to move to get a job somewhere else, that's their problem - not the purchasers. If they can't do that because they don't have the cash the only solution is to rent it out into a flooded rental market subsidizing renters, or walk away. Low inventories and inflated prices only exacerbate the situation.

Prices have to drop to enable any sort of viable market, whether owners like it or not.
it goes by region and country,in all the countries you listed they have had some sort of major financial trouble and banking trouble aswell, we don't have that alberta is steaming along almost back where it was a few years ago and people are still moving here by the thousands and they have to live somewhere,I had a condo/townhouse that I bought before the market jumped in 05, in 07 I sold it and made 120 grand on it,I then bought the house I am in now and put a good downpayment on it,It has now recovered back to close to what I paid for it give or take 10 grand but I have no plans on selling it anyways, my point is barring a major financial trouble in my life I will not sell this house for less than I bought it for and if I have to sit on it for 5-10 years I am fine with that,in a major city it's different than rural or say mcmurray if oil goes down and plants close mcmurray is hooped,in edmonton/calgary/vancouver etc there are lots of industries to support people not just one thing, in most markets the buyer sets the price without a doubt but in real estate the seller/s have a say if they don't get what they want for it they won't sell,that reduces supply which increases prices to where they are comfortable in selling,it affect the rental or transient market more than home owners.