Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Default thread was pulled before I could state this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
Interesting post insofar as the consequences for being part of something illegal and stupid, but clearly presented in a distasteful way. Add to that the first captioned picture is amusing whereas the second captioned photo is ignorant.

Not cool - I second the delete.

Cheers.
lol. guess it depends on what your definition of retard is. Mine is a really really stupid person who cannot think before they commit a federal crime. Coming from a person who has several special needs friends and volunteers for a non profit organization who works with individuals with autism, i do not define retard the same as you apparently think I do.

So before this thread is closed down, I do want to share with you what the true point of this was. I was more curious of the reaction of my OP was. I first started wondering about mob mentality when that thread about the father shooting the drug dealer BF of his 16 year old daughter. The responses on that thread and how people lashed out against people who said that the father killed someone and should be punished rightfully so. The outpoor of people stating "one less terrible person walking this earth" and " good on the father" piqued my curiosity as to how this same forum would react to a similar story where someone committing a crime died and the story was presented in an extreme opposite to which the drug dealer story was.

Although I was not getting the drastic difference in attitudes as I was hoping for / expecting but I think that could be chalked up to not the same forum members posting. Although I did find the comments that were made to confirm what I thought would be the reaction.

Its cool how the presentation of a story can manipulate the strength of a persons stance on a questionable topic. But I guess thats exactly what politicians try to do. interesting.

Sorry for trolling but I am kind of bored today

Last edited by Braun; 05-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
The responses on that thread and how people lashed out against people who said that the father killed someone and should be punished rightfully so.

...curiosity as to how this same forum would react to a similar story where someone committing a crime died and the story was presented in an extreme opposite to which the drug dealer story was.

Although I did find the comments that were made to confirm what I thought would be the reaction.
HUH???? I've read these lines three times and still can't understand why english is not a mandatory course if your going down that road and we all know what happens and then you get the point of my discourse of course except if your have already done so thats how it bounces.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
HUH???? I've read these lines three times and still can't understand why english is not a mandatory course if your going down that road and we all know what happens and then you get the point of my discourse of course except if your have already done so thats how it bounces.
He makes complete sense.

We as a group express outrage at the justice system when a man like Mr Walker is convicted and sentenced to a lengthy prison term for killing his daughters drug dealing boyfriend.

Yet we have no outrage when a woman who is pregnant takes her brother and another friend to go beat up her ex. The ex proceeded to fight back and resulted in the death of her brother. She has been sentenced to 60 days of weekend jail.

I believe what Braun is trying to say is that our sense of outrage/upset/disappointment etc with our justice system is sometimes skewed.

Braun had also expressed that he felt the woman, her brother and the friend were all retards for thinking they could break into a guys house and beat him senseless without him fighting back. Additionally I don't believe that Braun was insulting persons of lesser mental capacity, but was saying the choices this woman and cohorts were idiotic/retarded.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

thank you for cleaning up my horrible explaination
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

like I had said. My primary intent was to observe the reaction of posts when a similar opinion held by a majority in a recent thread is applied to a similar case. The variable here is in the way the opinion is presented. In this case it is adopting a similar mentality of the opinion expressed in the case of Mr. walker but to a higher level of intensity. The result is that people skew their their reactions based on the tone of how the original position is presented.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM

Thanks fishingmom.

I was also just having a little light fun with his post as it was just....well....hard on the sentence structure.

I also have my Vogon suit on.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 05-27-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post

I also have my Vogon suit on.
Aha......hitch-hiking around the galaxy this weekend I see?

Lefty
Old 05-27-2011, 03:41 PM

"Resistance is useless!" bellowed the guard......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 PM

In line and thinking about sentences and writing.......Now for some poetry..........

Vogon Haiku

CurrrrrrGrauuumph Blaaaacccccccckkkkkkkkk!
Glad thats out of my throat this spring.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:00 PM

As I said in my original post, the topic was an interesting post.

My point was simply that the use of the word retard with the following cartoon caption was not cool. I am not a huge politcally correct person, but the use of that word as you have presented it is not cool. Now as you stated, you have a different association for that word. However, that statement is similar to stating that you have many Asian (insert any type of racial description here) after making an Asian joke. I will say that it seems very weird for someone who works with autistic persons to use that word. Surely you would not want any of the people you work with to be called that?

Aside from that, I think the point you are putting out for the ponderance of this board is a most interesting one. I often think of starting a constructive debate on this board on a variety of topics. . .then I read what happens when someone like yourself tries. That usually makes me delete.

Now I will just go back to my holier than though english muffin and milk.

Cheers.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
As I said in my original post, the topic was an interesting post.

My point was simply that the use of the word retard with the following cartoon caption was not cool. I am not a huge politcally correct person, but the use of that word as you have presented it is not cool. Now as you stated, you have a different association for that word. However, that statement is similar to stating that you have many Asian (insert any type of racial description here) after making an Asian joke. I will say that it seems very weird for someone who works with autistic persons to use that word. Surely you would not want any of the people you work with to be called that?

Aside from that, I think the point you are putting out for the ponderance of this board is a most interesting one. I often think of starting a constructive debate on this board on a variety of topics. . .then I read what happens when someone like yourself tries. That usually makes me delete.

Now I will just go back to my holier than though english muffin and milk.

Cheers.
Can I have some of that english muffin?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:51 PM

It looks like we all have to much time on our hands today. Me included for reading the entire post.

Dodger.