Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM

Default Wolf Dog

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...:thinking-006:
Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 AM

I would love to have the opportunity to call that bad boy in and drop him a little pill....

Lefty
Old 05-22-2011, 10:56 AM

looks like 100% wolf to me
Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Default wolf dog

Dog, wolf or hybrid ~ moot point in my book if it is a danger to livestock & people. Should be shot on sight, before children are added to its list of prey.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 AM

They are planning on tranquilizing it, capturing it, and then euthanizing it. Seems like there are 2 unnecessary phases to that plan.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_eight View Post
They are planning on tranquilizing it, capturing it, and then euthanizing it. Seems like there are 2 unnecessary phases to that plan.
Gotta keep the "greenies" happy....what a joke. Dead is dead in the end....all you do by trying to hunt this killer like this is further educate it. A tranq gun has limited range and accuracy......just shoot it with a real gun and get it over with. Any animal that knows its being hunted will change its patterns.

This misconception that euthanizing with drugs is more humane than a single bullet or combined with couple follow up "insurance markers" has really got to end....

Lefty
Old 05-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_eight View Post
agreed
Shot it
Old 05-22-2011, 06:34 PM

There's a fellow here in Calgary that breed's some sort of 'wolf hybrid'. The 'dogs' don't seem to cause any problems, owner appears pretty responsible in looking after them. Seen them a few times, nice enough when they are with the owner but I would Not want to be alone with them when they are hungry or ****ed off.
Having said that, Any abandoned dog, or even a cat, can turn into a 'killer'.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM

Hmm, interesting beast. I don't have a problem with them relocating it to a better location.
However, if it came near me or my family, I wouldn't be calling the local authorities and wait for them to come "remove it"...I'd shoot it for sure.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:14 PM

Vanc island has a lot of wolves, it isn't much of a stretch that one could swim to Bowen island, it isn't far, they swim to lots of other islands around there. Instead of admitting that there is no shortage of wolves around they conjer up some mysterious human bread wolf dog, couldn't possibly be a plain old wolf, why there nearly extinct. That way they can still protect the wolf and blame the bad humans for creating a monster and dropping it off there..
Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811 View Post
There's a fellow here in Calgary that breed's some sort of 'wolf hybrid'. The 'dogs' don't seem to cause any problems, owner appears pretty responsible in looking after them. Seen them a few times, nice enough when they are with the owner but I would Not want to be alone with them when they are hungry or ****ed off.
Having said that, Any abandoned dog, or even a cat, can turn into a 'killer'.

If he is breeding a wolf hybrid it is illegal and has been for almost 15 years.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Vanc island has a lot of wolves, it isn't much of a stretch that one could swim to Bowen island, it isn't far, they swim to lots of other islands around there. Instead of admitting that there is no shortage of wolves around they conjer up some mysterious human bread wolf dog, couldn't possibly be a plain old wolf, why there nearly extinct. That way they can still protect the wolf and blame the bad humans for creating a monster and dropping it off there..
X2

Was fishing in Port Hardy a couple years ago and watched 2 wolves chase a deer off an island into the ocean.....this was on an island off the mainland so apparently the animals will migrate accross water to other places.

When I watched the video on the link it looked like a normal wolf to me as well.

Lefty
Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 PM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2037226/
Old 05-27-2011, 11:32 PM

I still call BS on a wolf-dog mix.....to me its just a wolf?

Lefty
Old 05-27-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I still call BS on a wolf-dog mix.....to me its just a wolf?

Lefty
X2.

Probably just a media ploy to keep the local hippies happy. God forbid they kill an endangered and mystical WOLF.

Idiots.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 AM

read in the paper this morning , this dog has been shot by a local trapper hired to take care of it . The one I read about was on Bowen Island I believe . Guy waited concealed on a sheep farm , when it showed up one shot to the head and it was over
Old 05-28-2011, 11:50 AM

The wolf-dog will be cremated before any DNA tests are done.

I'll put my money on this being a wolf. I get a chuckle out of MOE's (bc environment) decision to ID this wolf as a cross breed. Nice way to tip toe around the crap that comes along with the job. I wonder if SRD will start describing problem AB Grizzlies as cross breeds?

A video of the dog on the prowl.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/05...-bowen-island/
Old 05-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
X2.

Probably just a media ploy to keep the local hippies happy. God forbid they kill an endangered and mystical WOLF.

Idiots.
exactly right.....they don't want to fear monger that a real wolf might have made it there. So they put the spin on it that it was some humans fault....give me a break lol.

Nature is nature and when humans develop and push nature out....it finds other ways to compensate for it....like taking back from us when it can.

At least they had the good sense to at least hire a guy to shoot it. I love how he really emphasizes the one shot humane kill......just to further keep the greenies happy.

Lefty
Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The wolf-dog will be cremated before any DNA tests are done.

I'll put my money on this being a wolf. I get a chuckle out of MOE's (bc environment) decision to ID this wolf as a cross breed. Nice way to tip toe around the crap that comes along with the job. I wonder if SRD will start describing problem AB Grizzlies as cross breeds?

A video of the dog on the prowl.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/05...-bowen-island/
looks like a wolf to me , thanks for the link walking buffalo
Old 05-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
looks like a wolf to me , thanks for the link walking buffalo
I have to agree with you, Marlin, looks like an old lobo that has been kicked out of the pack.
I don't know what all the hubub is about, we get them in city limits here frequently, but in recent years pet owners have learned to keep their dogs leashed when in town limits.
Up until a few years back there were always owners in the paper complaining about having a wolf lead their dog away then kill it.
Cat