Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2022, 11:12 PM

Default Where do the fish go?

Good day all,

First off, let me start by stating I am not looking for any spots or secret knowledge. More so just a general idea as to how fish move throughout the season.

I fish all over the province approximately 60 days on the water each season. I am consistently noticing early season (April-may) and late season (mid sept-end of October) I can not for the life of me figure out where the fish "go" so to speak. Mid season I can crush productive days for days and find fish virtually everywhere where you'd think there would be a fish in a given stream / river / creek. Come these aforementioned early and late season times, I find it difficult to locate fish. Where the hell do they go?

Before run off hits and waters warm, are they all they all in deep pools? Late season when the days get shorter and water gets colder at night, do they migrate back to these holes? When the water levels become much lower than mid season, do they migrate to larger bodies of water? for example out of smaller stream into a larger river?

Seems too lately, my usual places, I am consistently getting the "why is there no fish in this prime water". what gives? was there summer or winter kill past seasons recently?