Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-07-2020, 11:34 AM

Default Quilt vs sleeping bag - Sheep hunters

Looking at purchasing a new sleeping system for back pack mountain hunting. Been looking into sleep bags but have also started to find a lot of information about quilts. The quilt sounds like it would be better for me as I am a side sleeper and toss/turn a lot. My only concern is if it will be warm enough. I plan on buying as warm of one as I can (looking at minimum 20 degree farenheit) as I hope to sheep hunt into the first part of October. Anyone have any advice or suggestions when it comes down to this? I want synthetic fill over down as I will also be using it on a west coast mountain goat hunt in early September.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:53 AM

Comes to preference between the two. A high quality cold weather sleeping pad is even more important to keeping warm. A mummy bag will keep you warmer than a quilt but quilts still work well.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:03 PM

Get the sleeping bag. If you are a side sleeper you have two choices, a mummy bag that rolls over with you when you do or one big enough you can roll inside it. The ones you can roll inside, the head cover is not needed, those that roll with you makes sense to have the head part. Just get the right size to suit your needs and make sure the inside material is the right kind to match your choice, as in high traction material is very hard to roll over without the bag coming too..
Old 03-07-2020, 01:57 PM

Take a look at the Nemo Sonic down. I picked one up last year and I side sleep in it no problem. Its even designed so you can, and you can vent it. I have the -20F model.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:51 PM

IMO you need a sleeping bag. You will get cold air coming in when you roll and toss as gaps open up in the quilt. A zipped up mummy bag will keep you warm and as stated above the bag will move with you.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:58 PM

Quilts are for early season hippies, they use all sorts of straps etc to eliminate the inevitable cold spots. I agree the filling under us is compressed and almost useless but to save a pound sure doesn’t make sense to me.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:07 PM

Default Quilt vs sleeping bag - Sheep hunters

A lot of buzz around quilts especially from the Americans.

I have not tried one, but have to agree that the best case for a quilt/pad combo is that the pad beneath you provides insulation, and that a down (or synthetic) sleeping bag material that is beneath you is essentially wasted weight in terms of warmth, since it is compressed and loses R-value.

A quilt system relies on the pad for R-value beneath you, and the quilt for your sides and above you. Many will actually connect the quilt to the pad, in such a way to avoid heat loss out the sides.

Seems like a reasonable idea to me, but to be honest the weight savings over a mummy bag is so little that I have always gone with mummy bag.

I run a Western Mountaineering 10 degree Fahrenheit bag with a Thermarest Neoair for warm hunts, and swap to a Exped Downmat for cold hunts.

One thing that I really have noticed is that I hunt much better when I have slept well. It is always important to consider weight, but a difference of carrying an extra 1/2 lbs in a sleep system may be well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2020, 05:24 PM

I generally spend a minimum of 30-40 nights a year in a sleeping bag, on a backpack pad. We backpack year round. Some of my buddies have gone to them, and I'll be moving toward quilts as my down bags mile out, for everything but my extreme cold weather setup. (-30C and below) Quilts can be plenty warm, and are just way more comfortable for me. But, it is mostly personal preference and depends on how a guy sleeps.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:56 PM

Quilts can be a great option if you don't mind wearing some of your insulation layers to bed. Sleeping bags have the same issue as well. A tip that I learned the hard way is bag ratings are based off a pad r value of 4. So when making your choice make sure you take that into account. For example, a common rating is 3 on pads so a -9 bag will be more like a 0 bag for comfort.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:36 PM

I have a mummy bag and do not like it. very restricting. To get in and out is a chore. Would like to save weight on bags. what suggestions on quilts? Seems it would be very drafty ...
Old 03-07-2020, 08:02 PM

I can't imagine getting a good nightstart sleep in a quilt.
I'D move a leg out and let the cold breeze in, wake up rearrange , fall asleep and start all over.
I don't see anything that is a better balance of warmth and light weight as a mummy.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Looking at purchasing a new sleeping system for back pack mountain hunting. Been looking into sleep bags but have also started to find a lot of information about quilts. The quilt sounds like it would be better for me as I am a side sleeper and toss/turn a lot. My only concern is if it will be warm enough. I plan on buying as warm of one as I can (looking at minimum 20 degree farenheit) as I hope to sheep hunt into the first part of October. Anyone have any advice or suggestions when it comes down to this? I want synthetic fill over down as I will also be using it on a west coast mountain goat hunt in early September.
when I was younger we used to sleep in wall tents lots of times -40 weather
the old hippy killer heater would not last long, my mother was still alive made 100% sheep's wool quilts by hand, she had a wool carder that made 18 inch x 12 inch wool bats about 5 inches thick, she would have a great big wood frame when she built them , filled the whole living room up almost
she tied two outside materials together , sort of to keep the batting from shifting , I cant exactly remember the proper terms she used for this
that's all I ever used because I couldn't afford an expensive sleeping bag rated for those cold temps, I found I was warmer in that quilt then my partners with their down filled triple lined 5 star sleeping bags, it also kept dryer , from body moisture
but it was way to bulky and heavy to be back packing it up & down mountains ,
one thing I can say for sure is you wont be cold,
if you can get the pure sheep's wool batting, you maybe able to get one made a little thinner then what my mother made,
and with using this new danier material on the outside and a good heavy cotton on the inside ,
it maybe warmer then most sleeping bags but it will still be too bulky I believe
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 03-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
when I was younger we used to sleep in wall tents lots of times -40 weather
the old hippy killer heater would not last long, my mother was still alive made 100% sheep's wool quilts by hand, she had a wool carder that made 18 inch x 12 inch wool bats about 5 inches thick, she would have a great big wood frame when she built them , filled the whole living room up almost
she tied two outside materials together , sort of to keep the batting from shifting , I cant exactly remember the proper terms she used for this
that's all I ever used because I couldn't afford an expensive sleeping bag rated for those cold temps, I found I was warmer in that quilt then my partners with their down filled triple lined 5 star sleeping bags, it also kept dryer , from body moisture
but it was way to bulky and heavy to be back packing it up & down mountains ,
one thing I can say for sure is you wont be cold,
if you can get the pure sheep's wool batting, you maybe able to get one made a little thinner then what my mother made,
and with using this new danier material on the outside and a good heavy cotton on the inside ,
it maybe warmer then most sleeping bags but it will still be too bulky I believe
I love wool and it’s warm and heavy. Your mom’s quilting technique is called “tufting” or “tufted quilting” I used that idea a month ago when I made my heater suit.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:43 AM

My mother also made those thick wool quilts. They worked great in the house. However my dad,me and brother took 3-4 of them on moose hunt and slept under spruce tree with fire. We spent most of night putting out fires on the quilts, mother was not pleased and we were sure cold. Sleeping bag only way to go.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:44 AM

I have mummy bags and a zpacks -12C bag which is a quilt/bag hybrid. The zpack bag is fine for early season stuff and it's super light (1.5#). It's not what you want for October. You don't want a draft anywhere at -20C (been there).

If late season is in your plans, you need a mummy bag in the -20C range. Don't mess with this.

If your mummy bag is too warm for the conditions, just use it as a quilt. Unzip all the way, rotate it so your laying only on your pad, stick your feet in the foot box and lay the rest over you so you can vent easier.

It is nice to have two bags. One for early stuff and one for later season.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:44 PM

The Americans are raving about the quilts in the blog-o-sphere, but it's really hard to compare how well they work in the "cold" because we all have different ideas about what cold is. I know to push them down to really cold you need a great sleeping pad, and the quilt has to be strapped or attached to the pad somehow. And of course there is a difference if you're in a tent or under a tarp in a spike camp.

All other things being equal, I think I'd still prefer the sleeping bag because of its hood AND because there is just more filling altogether if you get it wet - there's hopefully more dry insulation somewhere else. If you need to zip it open and share with a buddy that's an option, etc etc.

But again I'm thinking Alberta Rocky Mountain hunts in October, November. Warmer hunts I can definitely agree with the light weight advantage of the quilt.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:38 PM

I cant see using a quilt below -5 ish.

For warm weather my bag is unzipped and basically a quilt anyways. I'm not a ultralight guy so I wont be changing
Brad
Old 03-08-2020, 02:06 PM

I hate sleeping bags and find them restrictive - but if it's a choice between being cold and miserable all night or being annoyed by the restriction - I guess I'm putting up with the bag all night.

Typically don't need to use a bag until if falls below minus -10 or so.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:21 PM

Depends how hot you run. A quilt is a good idea if you run like a furnace. I’m a cold sleeper so a mummy bag is a must for me
Old 03-08-2020, 08:30 PM

The Scots slept on Q..kilts for years...pretty sure where the term came from..
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Banned

Have you looked at the western mountaineering bags?
Check out their specs
Some of their mummy’s have a lot of room
And they also offer semi rec ones too
Probably the best of both worlds
Old 03-15-2020, 07:23 AM

I have camped out in -30c on the trap line more than a few times.
Screw the quilt idea, I'll take my Icelandic bag every time !
Cat
Old 03-15-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have camped out in -30c on the trap line more than a few times.
Screw the quilt idea, I'll take my Icelandic bag every time !
Cat
Sheep hunters don't normally have snowmachines to haul their gear up the mountain tho, cat.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:06 AM

When I was a kid all that was available were those cheap quilt style sleeping bags and we used to freeze in them. So now I want a good bag.

That being said I brought a buddy a good down mummy style bag to use on a back packing trip. My mistake was i should have let him try it out first. He was used to large quilt style bags and just hated the mummy bag. It kind of wrecked the trip for him. After that I tell people to get their own dam bag.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:23 PM

I hate mummy bags, feel like coffins. the quilt design is slick ,and I've slept in them in extreme cold. The bottom portion is like a sock that you put your feet into, like a conventional sleeping bag from the knees down. The top flares out like a blanket but the foot section keeps the quilt wrapped around you. I don't care about the weight savings I just like the unrestricted sleep.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Sheep hunters don't normally have snowmachines to haul their gear up the mountain tho, cat.
No they use horses and I started out with dog teams.
We were on foot at times as well we did not always have the team or a snowmobile with us .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-16-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:21 PM

I run a Kuiu bag and am a side sleeper, the bag just rolls with me.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM

I use a 20F quilt down to around 0C and a little below. After that I use my -10C mummy bag. I’m a cold side sleeper and on the bigger side at 6’2” 205lbs. By the early Oct I always check the forecast before reaching for one or the other.

If you’re not sure and don’t want to risk selling a used quilt, just get a quality down mummy bag and you’re set. That said, I really like my quilt.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
I use a 20F quilt down to around 0C and a little below. After that I use my -10C mummy bag. I’m a cold side sleeper and on the bigger side at 6’2” 205lbs. By the early Oct I always check the forecast before reaching for one or the other.

If you’re not sure and don’t want to risk selling a used quilt, just get a quality down mummy bag and you’re set. That said, I really like my quilt.

Hope that helps a little.
I would agree with this. I like my quilt to 0C. (My quilt is rated to 10F, but more accurately about a 30F rating). When there's going to be consistent nightly temperatures below 0, I prefer a bag. For the warmer nights though, I love the quilt. I simply sleep way more comfortably in a quilt than I do in a bag as I'm more free to sprawl.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:55 PM

I'm a side sleeper as well and a mummy bag can be a bit uncomfortable for a chunky fellow at the shoulders. (My mom says I'm just husky and not to worry about it).

I went with a Taiga Works Sheherazade last year and so far so good. Might be worth a try. It's a barrel type bag with a bit more room in the shoulders.

Good thing about testing bags right now is you have lot's of time to do the trial and error thing.

If I ever get slim and sexy I'll probably go back to a mummy style as there is just a lot more range in the temps you can use it for but as far as I can see I am done with late season backpack sheep hunts. With that there is a bit more flexibility in the bag you can use not trying to hit all the notes with one bag.