Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 08:13 PM

Default Tree suggestions wanted

Hopefully, the virus situation improves and we can get back to a more normal life.
Looking for a couple of trees for our yard. Hoping to get some recommendations that would work in the Calgary area.

Would like the tree to have a total width of about 15 feet and a height of 20 feet.
Full sun.
Trees that attract birds are ok.
Prefer deciduous.
Low maintenance is always better.

What works for you guys?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:17 PM

Any type of fruit tree likely fits the bill if you like having some fruit around, apple, pear, plum or Evans cherry would work, if you don’t want fruit perhaps a mountain ash.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:21 PM

The fruit trees grow slowly,elm & oak also, your fastest route to shade & appearance probably the lowly poplar.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-05-2020, 08:21 PM

Spring Snow Tree
Old 04-05-2020, 08:29 PM

My Evans cherry are growing slowly, and I doubt will reach the width noted. I'd really like some Burr Oaks but the things grow so slowly that a great result would take forever, on the other hand they'll last many generations, which to me is very cool. Plus those would ultimately grow well outside the noted size.

Love the sour cherries though, they make great jam.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:32 PM

I love mountain ash, and the wax wings usually come in the spring and clean the berries up.
I have a friend who has a butternut tree in edmonton that is georgios, a little bigger than you are looking for , but beautiful tree.
I am trying to get a bunch of seedlings started from that tree this year. Hope they come!
Brad
Old 04-05-2020, 08:34 PM

Amur Maple is what I planted in our front yard last summer. Check them out it may be just what you’re looking for.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:35 PM

By the size noted it sounds like some type of crab apple tree might fit the bill, they have the added bonus of lovely flowering in the spring.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:35 PM

Amur choke cherry.

Very beautiful and hardy trees and the cherries are small and not a pain to look after like some fruit trees.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-05-2020, 08:37 PM

Mountain Ash or Rowans as some folks call them are pretty hardy and a nice looking tree. Attract waxwings like a bugger in winter too.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:51 PM

The city of Calgary has a good guide for trees that do well around Calgary. Urrasian pear looks interesting.

https://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pa...r-Calgary.aspx
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-05-2020, 09:06 PM

I love mountain ash, and the wax wings usually come in the spring and clean the berries up.
I have a friend who has a butternut tree in edmonton that is georgios, a little bigger than you are looking for , but beautiful tree.
I am trying to get a bunch of seedlings started from that tree this year. Hope they come!
Brad
Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Hopefully, the virus situation improves and we can get back to a more normal life.
Looking for a couple of trees for our yard. Hoping to get some recommendations that would work in the Calgary area.

Would like the tree to have a total width of about 15 feet and a height of 20 feet.
Full sun.
Prefer deciduous.

What works for you guys?
Thanks in advance.
Siberian elm if not going with an edible fruit tree.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-05-2020, 11:05 PM

Elm tree. Stay away from the chokecherries unless you like purple feet or always wear shoes in the backyard.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:20 AM

Quote:

Full sun.
Prefer deciduous.

What works for you guys?
Thanks in advance.

Schubert Chokecherry. It meets all your specs and grows fairly quickly in the Calgary zone.

Mountain Ash varieties (I like the Showy) as well as Amur Cherries are ok but tend to suffer from sun scald.

Ornamental crabs are ok, but slow and wide.

Buy local and not the potted juiced up BC garbage that get trucked in every spring to the ‘Garden Centres’. Now Point Nurseries out in Springbank and Eagle Lake east of Strathmore are the two I recommend.

Good luck. Go with the Schubert.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

You’re kidding, right? Or misidentifying. Siberian’s are a horrible choice. Horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 04:18 AM

Pretty hard to follow a guy by the name of TreeGuy......
Old 04-06-2020, 05:55 AM

Don't plant a Poplar tree.Especially if it's near ,your water line.Dug up some very nice yards,because the roots got into the sewer line.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Plant some spruce and pine trees around your home. The essential oils they give off will help build up your immune system and increase your family protection from Covid-19. Japanese did lots of medical studies on this, also lowered cortisol /stress.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:56 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Still not sure which way to go.
We like the idea of trees that attract birds, but that's not a necessity. Crabapple trees are beautiful, so that's a nice option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Schubert Chokecherry. It meets all your specs and grows fairly quickly in the Calgary zone.

Mountain Ash varieties (I like the Showy) as well as Amur Cherries are ok but tend to suffer from sun scald.
We like the Schuberts, but it seems that every second house on our street has one.
We were leaning towards some type of Mountain Ash. Liking the looks of the Showy. We were told by some other 'tree guy' to avoid Mountain Ash because we'd be planting in a full sun location. But we see Mountain Ash trees at a lot of houses and in a local park, so how bad is this sun scalding issue? Can a person plant some tall grass or shrubs to protect the trunk from the sun?

Last edited by Big Sky; 04-06-2020 at 09:59 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-06-2020, 10:20 AM

I planted a Horse Chestnut 15 years ago, Real nice tree, it grows fairly fast, it flowers and has nuts. They are similar to the Ohio Buckeye listed on the City of Calgary Top Trees. I get all kinds of comments on it, people stop and inquire the species,
Old 04-06-2020, 11:42 AM

I also love Mountain Ash, however, those berry clusters make a massive mess to rake up in the grass and on the driveway. They do, however, attract birds.

Maybe, as Tree Guy suggests, investigate a Shubert Cherry, we had one here that grew to that size you mentioned and was very nice (and allot less maintenance compared to a Ash).

There are other cherry's too that might be about the right size for you.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:33 PM

The Amur Cherry is a great choice. Pretty tree, reasonably fast grower, low maintenance.

I would suggest avoiding the Mayday, Chokecherry, and Schubert hybrids due to the likelihood of the blight that destroys them as it is everywhere in the province. The berries make a mess and attract hornets.

The Ash are all pretty but there is more mess from the berries as they get bigger. Little shade as they tend to go straight up and remain spindly for the first 30 years.

The Amur Maple grows like a weed. They are often marketed and classified by greenhouses as a shrub but they are far from it. Fast growers and thick foliage. I have one and my only complaint is the amount of seeds taking root elsewhere in the yard.

The other Maples are gorgeous trees but are very slow growing. I have several in the yard and are sdespite buying large trees, they are still very spindly after 12 years.

I have a few different birch that are great. Fast growers, very thick and full trees. My columnar birch make a great privacy screen but do not suffer from cold die out like the columnar poplar.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:39 PM

There are sterile cultivars of crabapple if you want blossom, but not apple litter.
The sterile cultivars tend to have shorter blossom period.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Amur Maple is what I planted in our front yard last summer. Check them out it may be just what you’re looking for.
X2
Planted a few of these maples around my acreage both for color and eventual shade. Want to guess about a foot growth per year since i planted them. Maybe a bit more.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
We were leaning towards some type of Mountain Ash. Liking the looks of the Showy. We were told by some other 'tree guy' to avoid Mountain Ash because we'd be planting in a full sun location. But we see Mountain Ash trees at a lot of houses and in a local park, so how bad is this sun scalding issue? Can a person plant some tall grass or shrubs to protect the trunk from the sun?
Regarding the bolded section, the answer is no. Seen many die from it due to neglect, seen many not be affected. It is what it is.

With that said, picking the right tree in a zone that historically only supports four native species is a bit of a crap shoot. Kinda like trying to buy the perfect truck. All have their pluses and minuses.

Given the parameters you listed, the three species I recommended (Schubert, Showy and Amur Cherry) best fit the bill. All are susceptible to their own unique issues. But, like a truck, proper TLC will have a greatly positive impact.

Now if you want to be unique, try to get your hands on a Manchurian Ash. One of my absolute favorites, also fits your size requirements. There used to be many in Calgary, but about 15 years ago a boring beetle arrived and decimated about 99.99% of them. In fact, I only know of two left in the city. Be nice to see them get restablished again.

Ohio Buckeye are cool, but slow to grow. For crabs, Royalty and Thunderchild are well suited here and spectacular in the spring bloom.

Whatever you decide upon though, please, PLEASE don't buy that cheap potted BC crap from a 'Garden Center'. Local nurseries are your best bet for getting a zone hardy tree.

Good luck!

Tree
Old 04-07-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
NO!!!!! The seed out all over the place. Crazy amounts of seed floating around in the spring, then little ones sprout up everywhere.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Plant some spruce and pine trees around your home. The essential oils they give off will help build up your immune system and increase your family protection from Covid-19. Japanese did lots of medical studies on this, also lowered cortisol /stress.
Or you could huff natural turpentine. Not that petroleum distillate stuff. The stuff made from pine trees.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:15 AM

Amosfella, please do not talk nonsense when you know nothing about good science!
Old 04-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Amosfella, please do not talk nonsense when you know nothing about good science!
:sHa_sarcastic lol::sHa_sarca sticlol::sHa_s arcasticlol::s Ha_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlo l::sHa_sarcast iclol: