Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 11:03 PM

Default Heading West? Just Don’t!

Apparently there are still a few individuals who lack the judgement to stay within their household, and keep within their community. A number (be it small) of people have taken the opportunity to head to the West Coast, Terrace and Prince Rupert in the cases I know of, to go fishing. This is causing a huge amount of friction among the locals who don’t want people coming to their community at this time. Not only from Alberta, but from any other community. The problem is that it is much easier to spot “Out of Province” plates, and there has been a lot of negative backlash towards “Albertans”. Not helping the situation are Mayors and MLA’s who are jumping on the Anti-Alberta bandwagon supporting their constituents. Efforts are currently under way to close all fishing to out of province individuals.

When someone shows up on the coast from Alberta, is asked to return to their community until the Covid threat passes, and then they threaten to punch out DFO or law enforcement, it really gives us a bad image. Actions like this (yes it actually happened a couple of days ago) also give the locals, and politicians the fuel they need to enact more restrictive measures that will most likely make this last longer than necessary...

This Covid time will pass, and we will fish again. Just please be patient and stay home for now. I have tirelessly argued in support of Alberta, and community safety, but all it takes is one more Alberta plate to show up in town, and it becomes a loosing battle...
Old 04-05-2020, 11:27 PM

Good head's up. Thanks.
I'm actually hoping that this is the start of a total B.C. boycott. Resources included, in both directions.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:35 PM

Quite frankly Albertans are getting tired of people in B.C telling Albertans what they can and can’t do. As long as it is legal Albertans are free to travel where ever they want, no matter what the locals want. If the government wants to put a stop to it bring in a law and Alberta will follow suit and stop people from other provinces coming here.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quite frankly Albertans are getting tired of people in B.C telling Albertans what they can and can’t do. As long as it is legal Albertans are free to travel where ever they want, no matter what the locals want. If the government wants to put a stop to it bring in a law and Alberta will follow suit and stop people from other provinces coming here.
Your acting like your 2 years old
There’s a bad virus going around
No one wants to catch it
Listen to the experts and stay home
Old 04-06-2020, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Not smart.
Read the news lately?
Old 04-06-2020, 12:27 AM
Banned

I’m willing to bet that the recreational fishing industry lobbied the BC government hard to keep businesses open. What other explanation could there be? It’s not an essential service yet they are still able to operate. Instead of asking Albertans to not go there, locals should be lobbying their MLA and they in turn should be lobbing the government to close the industry to at least non residents.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:33 AM
Banned

Golf course are still open. Have a group of friends heading out there Tuesday to play. Responsible people doing responsible things in my eyes. Whats the difference between social distancing here and social distancing there. And if the people of BC seem to think they can keep this virus out of their community, they are sadly mistaken. It's coming.... 3 Trips planned this summer for me. Rupert/Sandspit and Bella Bella. If I feel comfortable going I will go, If the season is open, I will go. I fI believe I am safe to go and will be safe to others, I will go. We are under social distancing, not a damn Quarantine....
Old 04-06-2020, 12:44 AM
Banned

Golf courses are quite large. Easy to keep 6 feet away from others . Fishing boats not so much. I guess if you’re going from one covid hotspot to another it doesn’t matter........ to you. Too bad you don’t give a crap about all the other people around you.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Golf courses are quite large. Easy to keep 6 feet away from others . Fishing boats not so much. I guess if you’re going from one covid hotspot to another it doesn’t matter........ to you. Too bad you don’t give a crap about all the other people around you.
So, what if its my own damn boat? That ok with you? You stay welded up in your house. I will deal with this crap like a adult. We are not under a quarantine. I do not intent on acting like we are. I also don't need to raise the Virtue flag of being a recluse for the next 4 months. See you on the water!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:21 AM
Banned

Jnwi
Old 04-06-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Your acting like your 2 years old
There’s a bad virus going around
No one wants to catch it
Listen to the experts and stay home
X2 ,Hell why fight over a few fish ,if you break down you can't go near anyone so if the weather turns bad and your stuck out there a guy is putting first responders in a bad spot,to them everyone is sick,so why do this to good people.Only selfish people think like this ,but if s''t hits the fan there the first to cry.

Acting like 2 year olds is just about right.

JD
Old 04-06-2020, 02:12 AM

I have a two year old. He is not going to be leaving Alberta until the Covid-19 emergency is over. His four year old brother has agreed to thwart any effort to cross borders.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:39 AM

Its to bad, but it looks like the government is going to need to step in and limit travel.

People still dont get the unnecessary travel concept or the stay home advice.

Almost all people are inconvenienced by this and we all want to go on with life and fishing.

But fishing will still be there!

And I hope all of you are too!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 04-06-2020 at 02:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:53 AM

Yup it's amazing how many people think that everyone should stay home except them, they think that they are immune to the covid virus when in reality they are just immune to common sense. Stay home no way I'll go where I want whenever I want

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:54 AM

When we are learning now that up to 50% of people could be asymptomatic travelling to the areas in question or tourist spots is downright dangerous. Obviously not for those that are traveling who don’t believe they have it but the possibility of moving the virus around so easily to those that either can’t handle it (usually older population in nicer retirement areas) or those that live in areas that don’t have the same healthcare backing with a multitude of ventilators.

Are we really that hard up for a vacation that we are possibly willing to kill people for it? I’m not even visiting my folks out west until this passes and others just want to go to swing a rod or club. Do it local at least for now if you have the urge.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
So, what if its my own damn boat? That ok with you? You stay welded up in your house. I will deal with this crap like a adult. We are not under a quarantine. I do not intent on acting like we are. I also don't need to raise the Virtue flag of being a recluse for the next 4 months. See you on the water!
Just curious and no disrespect intended-If you went out to BC fishing, will you self-isolate upon your return?
Old 04-06-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I’m willing to bet that the recreational fishing industry lobbied the BC government hard to keep businesses open. What other explanation could there be? It’s not an essential service yet they are still able to operate. Instead of asking Albertans to not go there, locals should be lobbying their MLA and they in turn should be lobbing the government to close the industry to at least non residents.
Actually the fishery is Closed to Non-residents. Being tidal waters, it is a Federal regulated water, and therefore under the regulations, a Resident, is considered any person from within Canada. There is no designation separating provinces for this fishery. The charter industry voluntarily stopped their operations for a 2-3 month window. The local people don’t want anyone from outside the community coming in, but don’t want their ability to fish stopped. The politicians are pandering to them, simply because those are the very people who elect them. A provincial ban would not complete the objective, and if in a couple months the charter industry were able to safely resume some operations, it would greatly complicate the situation.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Exactly the type of poor decisions that are fueling the flames on the coast. Exactly the reason places like Washington closed all Sportfishing because of those who went with the “Its my right”... It’s not about being a recluse, it’s about being smart. It’s about sitting tight for a while, and letting some of this pass without causing more complications for some of us further down the road.
Trust me, I’d love to be fishing more than anyone. I also depend on that fishery for a significant portion of my income running charters. So for me personally there is a lot more on the line than missing out on a few days of personal fishing I have been looking forward to all year....
Old 04-06-2020, 05:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So what regulations state no travel within the confines of Canada.....

Have not seen that one yet but maybe I missed something....I know about social distancing....travel back into country quarantine etc...

Just asking but to some have a go at me

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-06-2020, 06:08 AM

All discussion about whether to fish or not to fish may be moot anyways. Some provinces are already setting up checkpoints restricting, or barring, interprovincial travel.

Not hard to imagine this thing growing in magnitude and us being locked in our own cities and neighbourhoods.

If Covid takes down my gopher safari I am going to be soooo po'd. Can't bear the thought of those little buggers giving me neener neeners from down south.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Good head's up. Thanks.
I'm actually hoping that this is the start of a total B.C. boycott. Resources included, in both directions.

This all day long, we have supported BC far to long...Just to get despised on in return. This has been going on for 50 years.

Can't fix stupid.

Thomas Sowell

I am not saying I agree or disagree with the staying away from Prince Rupert fishing excursions. People will have to decide that for themselves.
Is this same rhetoric being spewed on all the BC fishing and hunting forums?
It sounds like the same old story - evil Albertans are the cause of everyones misery. I had some sympathy for the community of Prince Rupert until I saw this in the Mayor's letter and I quote:
"Unfortunately any community issues moving forward regarding housing, childcare, homelessness, etc are to be sent to Jennifer Rice's office."
Abandon the weakest and most vulnerable members of their community in their time of need. A total dirt bag. That tells me all I need to know about that particular community.

Last edited by Buckhead; 04-06-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Good head's up. Thanks.
Yup people that whine about the economy in Alberta but go sledding in Sicamous or fishing off the coast and spend money over their isn’t the most genuine. People need to give their head a shake...
Old 04-06-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
This all day long, we have supported BC far to long...Just to get despised on in return. This has been going on for 50 years.
Best way to deal with them on this issue is first get through this challenging time, Then book a charter with an Alberta based company... They really love that...lol
Old 04-06-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Wow. You are part of the problem. How many Alberta customers will you be taking out on the water??? (If I remember correctly you run a charter fishing operation )
Old 04-06-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I am not saying I agree or disagree with the staying away from Prince Rupert fishing excursions. People will have to decide that for themselves.
Is this same rhetoric being spewed on all the BC fishing and hunting forums?
It sounds like the same old story - evil Albertans are the cause of everyones misery.
Not that I’ve seen I’m on the sport fishing BC forum business as usual there. The only concern is if the decision to close down boat launches. The guys on the island fish every day from what I’ve read. Actually it’s a really great forum guys sharing information and very very few negative individuals.

Going to start looking hard at other options than going to Rupert though. Bella Bella maybe wish winter harbour was in the main land. Might have to look at Ketchikan.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:30 AM

Personally I don’t believe we need to be locked in our house but I won’t be doing any interprovincial travel or long trips with in Alberta either. I will be going fishing but closer to home for sure. Personally I just don’t see traveling a long distance where I need to stop in communities outside of my own as something I want to do at this time. Vacations are on hold for me because I believe it’s a reasonable precaution

As for how the citizens of Rupert acting they can pound sand. I will not invest a dime there in the future. I will not be giving any recommendations to others to go there in the future either. There are many other locations on the coast to go fishing. I was born in BC and I lived in BC for over half my life. Some of the communities in BC have become an embarrassment with the attitude they have adapted over the years. Still some great people and communities in BC so I will recommend these areas and businesses in the future

I do think it’s wise for people to go on vacations at this time but the actions/attitude coming out of some communities is intolerable as well.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Personally I don’t believe we need to be locked in our house but I won’t be doing any interprovincial travel or long trips with in Alberta either. I will be going fishing but closer to home for sure. Personally I just don’t see traveling a long distance where I need to stop in communities outside of my own as something I want to do at this time. Vacations are on hold for me because I believe it’s a reasonable precaution

As for how the citizens of Rupert acting they can pound sand. I will not invest a dime there in the future. I will not be giving any recommendations to others to go there in the future either. There are many other locations on the coast to go fishing. I was born in BC and I lived in BC for over half my life. Some of the communities in BC have become an embarrassment with the attitude they have adapted over the years. Still some great people and communities in BC so I will recommend these areas and businesses in the future

I do think it’s wise for people to go on vacations at this time but the actions/attitude coming out of some communities is intolerable as well.
Best way to keep the disease out of your community? Don't let people in or out. Just saying.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-06-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Best way to keep the disease out of your community? Don't let people in or out. Just saying.
I am not supporting long distance travel and like I said I will be keeping my fishing close to home

There is also a right and wrong way to deal with disapproving of other people’s actions. Some communities and people don’t get this
Closed Thread