Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2018, 03:40 PM

Default “The Tar Sands Campaign Against the Overseas Export of Canadian Oil: Activism or Economic Sabotage?” Great read

interesting read.

There are lots of facts that point to the Federal government allowing foreign influence over our economy and energy sector.

Paid protesters.

http://fairquestions.typepad.com/fil...excerpts-2.pdf

http://fairquestions.typepad.com/ret...-sabotage.html

Evidence of Russian influence.

http://business.financialpost.com/co...energy-exports

An investigation by United States lawmakers that links Russian-sponsored agents to manipulation of U.S. energy markets — including activism against pipelines such as TransCanada Corp.’s Keystone XL pipeline — is a wake-up call to Canadian governments that foreign interests have a big hand in campaigns to block Canadian oil and gas exports.

Alberta needs this solved so our economy can rebound and I can fish more.

http://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colum...or-alberta-oil

Then there is the insane fact that the Federal and some provincial governments are charging Canadian Oil and Gas companies carbon tax penalties and not applying the same to imports.

That we oppose our own pipelines but do nothing against other countries pipelines and carbon intensive industries like China's 1000 new coal power plants.

With 1.6% of the carbon emissions we seem to be paying a dangerous game against our economy when others are not.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 04-02-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:13 PM

AS soon as I see "tar sands" I stop reading.
How informative can it be if they don't even know we don't have tar sands here.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
AS soon as I see "tar sands" I stop reading.
How informative can it be if they don't even know we don't have tar sands here.
So exactly what is the difference between tar sands, and oil sands?
Old 04-02-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So exactly what is the difference between tar sands, and oil sands?
Protesters love calling it tar because it sounds dirty.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Both terms are accurate, one just needs to grow a thick enough hide that they're not bothered by the 'Tar sands' option. Sticks and stones after all. Don't let a triggering three letter word cause you to ignore some good information.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Both terms are accurate, one just needs to grow a thick enough hide that they're not bothered by the 'Tar sands' option. Sticks and stones after all. Don't let a triggering three letter word cause you to ignore some good information.
We used thee term Tarsands when I first landed in the Fort, lots of places are called after them, Tar island for one !
Heck we used to have Tarsand Charlie the raven and Murray Da Moose in a canoe as cartoon mascots!
Cat
Old 04-02-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
We used thee term Tarsands when I first landed in the Fort, lots of places are called after them, Tar island for one !
Heck we used to have Tarsand Charlie the raven and Murray Da Moose in a canoe as cartoon mascots!
Cat
Exactly why I asked, they were called tar sands when I started in the industry back in 1980. If those of us actually in the industry called them tar sands for so long, I wanted to know what the difference is, because it was never explained to me. I never heard the term oilsands until around 2000.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Exactly, just like to term assault rifle.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:39 PM

The article is just done by someone tracking the money going to protesters. Not really picking either side.

Track the money and see why it is being deployed.

In this case it is US and other money being spend to force Alberta to slow production. Keeping production in the ground here helps US economy and provides future oil for the US.

Interesting stuff.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
The article is just done by someone tracking the money going to protesters. Not really picking either side.

Track the money and see why it is being deployed.

In this case it is US and other money being spend to force Alberta to slow production. Keeping production in the ground here helps US economy and provides future oil for the US.

Interesting stuff.
Careful now, you'll have to start buying stock in my tinfoil empire...
Old 04-02-2018, 07:14 PM

I've wondered why the big Canadian businesses that have been affected have not waged similar campaigns against these US based saboteurs? They could lobby for laws to block foreign influence money or even stoop to similar devious acts against the other parties on THEIR home turf. They badly need a taste of their own medicine.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I've wondered why the big Canadian businesses that have been affected have not waged similar campaigns against these US based saboteurs? They could lobby for laws to block foreign influence money or even stoop to similar devious acts against the other parties on THEIR home turf. They badly need a taste of their own medicine.

Lobby who? the federal gov't? That crew would like nothing better than to close it down altogether. Or at the very least magically make it disappear from the western landscape and make it reappear in Northern Ontario and Quebekistan where wealth and power belongs. I have always said the oil sands of Alberta is not so much an environmental problem , It's a geographical problem. It's in the wrong part of the country.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Lobby who? the federal gov't? That crew would like nothing better than to close it down altogether. Or at the very least magically make it disappear from the western landscape and make it reappear in Northern Ontario and Quebekistan where wealth and power belongs. I have always said the oil sands of Alberta is not so much an environmental problem , It's a geographical problem. It's in the wrong part of the country.
O&G have the big money, they could lobby us in an energy-friendly government as well as get some mainstream and guerilla marketing campaigns to swing the useful idiots either onto something productive or at least something distracting. They are likely already maxing out allowable donations but there will be other ways they can help. And best of all they could do it using similar tactics to our foreign meddlers.

Some US citizen protesters perpetually harassing the Rockefellers, Koch Brothers and Hewletts would be a wonderful start, dontcha think?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Oil companies have always been careful to spend money to increase production and not public relations.

Many feel everyone's greatly improved standard of living, health care, warmth and power speaks for itself.

A small US based undermining force is suggesting they were duped and hopefully it is not too late.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
ANd a pewee hockey team. Tarsand turkeys