Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Can't say for sure of course, but I also highly doubt the 'F' word was used.
Sounds like a bit of embellishment on the posters part.
Oh it was used. The look on the other three guy's faces that were waiting ahead of me were just as surprised as I was. And by the way they were in the line up at the check out with a gun within 15 minutes of my suggestion. I guess buddy got the message. I can understand the shock the employees are under and feel for them but I didn't close the door on them. All the other employees I asked for help did their best to help me and I thanked them. So believe what you want to believe.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:12 PM

I fear the reduction in competitors will allow for higher prices. Never have been a fan of Wholesale though.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
There's 2 sides to this. I get it that the employee is working himself out of a job. I get that he can't really quit without repercussions. I get that the buyer is seeing crappy service and I get that he made a choice to go to the WSS sale.

Both could bend a bit I guess. The buyer should have expected poor service given the circumstances and bit his tongue, nobody MADE him go there and he knew what he was walking into. Does he unload on a clerk at a Boxing day sale? The employee is being paid to do a job that he obviously isn't doing and perhaps doesn't care about, the buyer didn't make the decision to close the store and doesn't deserve to be railed on when asked about service.

If this is what day 2 looked like I hate to think what month 2 will look like.

Lighten up folks...
Would I have expected better service if someone had MADE me go there? The other employees that helped me and others were doing their best and were on the run. The place was a zoo and I did know that it would be like that. I just thought it was rude to be having a long BS session while others that wanted to purchase something were left waiting.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 AM

I am surprised but I have since talked to some one that was there right after an incident. The F word was used by a sales staff, but it apparently did not offend many of the crowd that were there and many were quite appreciative that the customer was told to leave. Management is aware of the incident I mention and are supportive of rude customers being told to leave.

That said, one should be able to tell customer to leave but without using that language.

I was told that staff that were selected the final sell off are asked not to take coffee or lunch breaks.

Without breaks and working towards not having a job, I know a few there that are not going to put up with being talked down to by customers or management.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Wrong on the breaks. I work for WSS and we still get all of our breaks.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
Wrong on the breaks. I work for WSS and we still get all of our breaks.
That is contrary to what I was told by Calgary sales staff.

I was also told that those who agreed to hang on to the end would no longer get their discount on staff purchases but now store manager has relented and all still employed will be allowed a one time staff purchase.

I would not be surprised if there is a different policy in different stores and a different story and different incentives offered to different staff.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt300wm View Post
I fear the reduction in competitors will allow for higher prices. Never have been a fan of Wholesale though.
You can bet Bass Pro is licking their chops now that they've eaten their main competitor and others are falling by the side of the road. Less competition = higher prices and less variety. Love them or hate them losing a store like WSS is bad for the outdoorsman. Hate to see it just as I hated seeing Russels and Ribtor and the like close. We're gonna be left with one big Walmart like outdoor chain and some online retailers.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

you guys think they got any good bino harnesses in the edmonton stores? haha
Old 09-22-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Not to make light of things but I laughed when I read this. They had better be sold out!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Not to make light of things but I laughed when I read this. They had better be sold out!
10% off, best deal bro.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
That is contrary to what I was told by Calgary sales staff.

I was also told that those who agreed to hang on to the end would no longer get their discount on staff purchases but now store manager has relented and all still employed will be allowed a one time staff purchase.

I would not be surprised if there is a different policy in different stores and a different story and different incentives offered to different staff.
I don't know about breaks, but when I went into a store in BC there was as sign that said they were no longer offering any discounts to anyone (first responders, military, gun clubs, or the employees)

Also talked to the manager. Apparently several orders were placed and paid for before the announcement. They are scheduled to be receiving more stock for the next 6 weeks.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLester View Post
Bear in mind that eBay, Amazon and most other online selling sites have strict policies against selling of firearm related equipment....
So how did I buy scope rings, reloading does and a holster from Amazon last week? Your point is valid, losing a chain like Wholesale will not be a good thing for us in the long run but your facts are wrong.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
I was there today looking for exactly that . They had a few . 2 styles I liked were still cheaper on amazon even with their "30% off "
Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 PM

My wife got invited on a hike in the BC mountains (on a whim) so we went over last night to the Langley (BC) WSS to get her some good hiking boots, socks, etc. We couldn't have gotten better service if we were royalty.

We had two different people help us and they easily spent 40 minutes with my wife, getting different types of hiking shoes/boots, offering opinions and suggestions, never showing a bit of frustration at her wanting to try so many sets of footwear. Then they followed her to socks and gave her suggestions on those (quality vs cost, comfort, suitability for intended use, etc).

Then they showed me the headlamps that I couldn't find earlier. We spent nearly $360 there and they earned every penny of it. The guy even gave me some tips on where to hunt elk and some of his more successful hunting tricks.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
I don't know about breaks, but when I went into a store in BC there was as sign that said they were no longer offering any discounts to anyone (first responders, military, gun clubs, or the employees)

Also talked to the manager. Apparently several orders were placed and paid for before the announcement. They are scheduled to be receiving more stock for the next 6 weeks.
I think in Calgary they changed their minds on the discount for staff because they were afraid some might walk. I think they agreed on one time only and there was a limit. The no break thing I mentioned was just for staff who were PT and putting in 5 hours or less.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I have nothing but good service at CT, The CT at Southland and Macleod does not have a large gun counter and they sometimes have the usual kids at the counter that really do not know much, Although the counter is small, the selection is good and big Jon knows as more about firearms than most, The service I have at the High River stores is quite good but their staff are spread thin and sometimes I have to wait a bit while they page a clerk for me.
Once apon a time I was a sports manager for a Canadian Tire. I got to see the beautiful, the good, the bad, and the ugly side of gun sales. It was great when the customer came in and had an idea of what they were hoping to buy. Was asked many times what was my go to gun and I stated that i was using a 270 cal in a 700BDL. But my choice should never cloud their vision of their purchase. Was told once by a small little gaffer that I was going to hell for selling guns (a misinformed child). I found that the greatest pain was the ability to hang onto the staff that knew about guns and were out shooting regularly. Most of the staff were high school jocks that couldn't read let alone write something legible. Turn over was a big issue, just get someone trained and poof they were gone. I had a 8 ft cubby hole that held 20 guns, plus ammo, plus other hunting related stuff plus a counter. I had a couple of customers that would come in and look at the wish book for guns (supplier in south eastern Ontario) and order this and that, then they would pay with Canadian Tire funny money. This would stretch the crew thin while counting CT money.

Employee discount at my store #297, Gloucester, Ontario cost plus 10%
Old 09-22-2017, 05:25 PM

I just spent an hour going thru the wholesale sport north location. If you think that they have deals - don't! The ammo that I bought there just two days before the closing sale was 15% off, now it is 5% off. Some clothing is 15-20 % off and accessories are 20-30% off.... I was looking at the pair of gloves, $130.00 less 20%. Good thing I decided to check Cabellas while I was there- those are $99.00 at Cebellas.... Checked few other things - they are all more expensive at WSS... But people are buying stuff, don't know why!
I won't be returning till probably December, then will see what kind of deals they will have.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 PM

Not a fan of WSS but hate to see local business that has been around for years go by the wayside. Things always changing..
Old 09-22-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I just spent an hour going thru the wholesale sport north location. If you think that they have deals - don't! The ammo that I bought there just two days before the closing sale was 15% off, now it is 5% off. Some clothing is 15-20 % off and accessories are 20-30% off.... I was looking at the pair of gloves, $130.00 less 20%. Good thing I decided to check Cabellas while I was there- those are $99.00 at Cebellas.... Checked few other things - they are all more expensive at WSS... But people are buying stuff, don't know why!
I won't be returning till probably December, then will see what kind of deals they will have.
You see thats excatly what i noted. I bought a buddy heater at the regina store shut down for 30% OFF last year and after got to calgary i found cheaper at the fishin hole. Also i got 3 boxes of trophy copper 30-06 ammo at cabelas for $32 a box. Wss wanted $45 for it.

They are a rip off and i suggest you all check the fishin hole, cabelas and bass pro before buying . Ill go check again on boxing day when they will be just about to shut down and more motivated to liquidate
Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 PM

It is called buying power. Cabela's and Bass Pro are 2 massive retailers and can get the lower price due to the amount they buy. They regularly have lost leader items that WSS has no hope of acquiring to offer to the public.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:04 PM

Worse...Bass Pro and Cabelas are actually ONE massive retailer
Old 09-22-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
It is called buying power. Cabela's and Bass Pro are 2 massive retailers and can get the lower price due to the amount they buy. They regularly have lost leader items that WSS has no hope of acquiring to offer to the public.
That is true, and in economy like this we all want a deal. 5 boxes of 12 ga skeet shells are 30 bucks bulk at bass pro but 50 buck at wss. Am shooting skeet for fun and 20 bucks adds up. And evidently everyone else thinks the same since bass pro bought cabela and wss is kicking the bucket. Sad to see but the truth
Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
I got to see the beautiful, the good, the bad, and the ugly side of gun sales. ......... I found that the greatest pain was the ability to hang onto the staff that knew about guns and were out shooting regularly. Most of the staff were high school jocks that couldn't read let alone write something legible.
I think there is a good, bad and ugly in many places other than gun sales. I think there is good, bad and ugly on both side of those gun counters. I think it is sort of like the chicken and egg thing. Which comes first? The ugly customer or the ugly sales person. I think some customers will make some sales staff ugly and vice versa.

Good staff? Always a problem. Retail does not pay enough to attract the best.
The only ones satisfied with the wages seem to be those who already have an income and want to supplement. Retired people and those on comp.

I would say that a young and healthy person who works for retail pay, is just not a motivated person and in many cases his mom does not even charge them rent. Most of those jocks don't know anything and those who know a little think they know it all. No one, knows it all and is able to answer every question, and customers should understand that. There is very little training given to retail sports staff other than from the industry reps. The sales staff do not get paid enough to buy and get their own product knowledge.

Some of the older sales staff actually have a wealth of practical knowledge
but after dealing with enough snotty customers they come across as just plain grouchy.

I think that the problem with most retail stores is crappy management. Some that could be managers if left alone get dumped on my upper management that are just puppets for the bean counters.

A really good store can turn into the perfect storm of incompetence with just one change in upper management or ownership. I think that is what happened to WSS.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 PM

I really hope that Cabela's will remain what it is today though. I genuinely dislike Bass Pro Shop. I have not been there in years, I mean at least 8-10 years. Unless things have changed during this time, I really felt like I was in Walmart with different merchandise. And I try to avoid Walmart as well. Before relocating to Peace, I have not been to Walmart for at least a decade as well. Here I am forced to go there once in a while, which is unfortunate.

Even worse, I hope Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop won't follow suite of Future Shop and Best Buy, where one simply shut down after a few years past acquisition.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:13 PM

After the WSS is gone, watch Cabellas raising their prices! Guaranteed! They will have no competition left. We needed WSS just to keep Cabellas on their toes.
Plus, WSS is the only store that is selling SCORE ammo, and I really like it. My hunting mentor tried it this season and he said that it is equal in quality to his black cloud, but cost half.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:19 PM

Oh good grief.
Let's go on and on like a bunch of whiny crybabies.
The management sucked.
End of story.
Business closed.
Get over it.
In the last 5 years they had maybe 10% of the items in stock that I was looking for. They lost 1000's of dollars because they sucked at marketing.
I don't care if they close. I can find whatever I need on the net at the same price or cheaper. And I don't have to listen to one of their retarded counter staff - that probably used a firearm once in their life.
No loss - no foul.

Last edited by Buckhead; 09-22-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbob View Post
I was there today looking for exactly that . They had a few . 2 styles I liked were still cheaper on amazon even with their "30% off "

I ordered some from Hornady direct, great harness and around $50 all told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2017, 01:07 PM

Default Not sale prices at all!

I just returned from wholesale sports North Edmonton, I purchased a 2nd general trigger stick that was 30 percent off only to go to Cabela's and find almost $30 cheaper😡. All sales at wss are final now so lesson learned. No wonder they're going out of business.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
I just returned from wholesale sports North Edmonton, I purchased a 2nd general trigger stick that was 30 percent off only to go to Cabela's and find almost $30 cheaper😡. All sales at wss are final now so lesson learned. No wonder they're going out of business.
I was just there same time as you. I was gonna ask you how much.
I wasn't overly impressed with the clearance sale.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:53 PM

Was just at the Calgary location, bought a couple items I've been contemplating for a while, only to find out that they are cheaper at Cabelas.
I would suggest waiting another month or so, hopefully the discounts increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk